RAW Challenge #4

iceblinker
Posted 25/05/2009 - 01:09 Link
Battersea Power Station, London, with a K10D + Sigma MF 24mm f2.8

Download the RAW file (right click then Save Target As...) - PEF or compressed DNG - then process as you please and post an 800x600 (max) result. Feel free to post a crop of your entry in addition if you want to show what some detail looks like with your processing.

Closing date is June 1 00:00.

This is with Silkypix's default settings:

[IMG]http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr298/lime501/RC4.jpg[/IMG]
~Pete
Edited by iceblinker: 25/05/2009 - 01:27
Karl
Posted 25/05/2009 - 04:28 Link
[IMG]http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww354/kmjh62/RC4-2.jpg[/IMG]
https://pentaxphotogallery.com" target="_blank">https://pentaxphotogallery.com/images/black_link_small.jpg" alt="See my photos featured in the PENTAX Photogallery" />
RR
Posted 25/05/2009 - 18:23 Link
The camera never lies...

A flood at Battersea.

Comment Image
MGraley
Posted 27/05/2009 - 17:12 Link
I just like the power station...
[IMG]http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv328/MGraley/RC4batt.jpg[/IMG]
isdky
Posted 31/05/2009 - 22:58 Link
I've remembered to enter this time round!

[IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/122lulh.jpg[/IMG]
"Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." Terry Pratchett

Flickr Photostream
iceblinker
Posted 01/06/2009 - 13:41 Link
Thanks for all the entries. I will try to post a judgement late tonight or tomorrow. Cheers.
~Pete
iceblinker
Posted 02/06/2009 - 09:47 Link
Karl: The vibrant blue of the sky is very attractive (though not quite natural). The chimneys are slightly too white, maybe, considering the late afternoon sun, but the amount of detail and sharpening in everything is good. A decent straightforward result with good-quality processing.

RR: Loads of wow factor, and the golden colouring of the Station reminds me of Pink Floyd's Animals album cover (although this view is from a dfferent side of the buiding). It contrasts well with the sky as well - which is brilliant in itself. The "flood" effect bothered me at first, but the whole lot is fantastic, in all senses of the word.

MGraley: Fair enough to zoom in on just the Station, but I don't think this harsh crop competes well with better shots of the buidling on its own from better angles. Also again the chimneys are too white, and I think the sharpening is too thick and spoils the detail.

isdky: Another beautiful special-effect treatment and done very finely. It has helped to include the gas tower, bridge and cranes as well. They look really good as well as the Station. The gloomy sky and overall bleak mood is quite different from the reality at the time, which does bother me, but I'll try to forget that!

Generally I prefer natural realistic photographs to special-effect processing, but I don't think the 'natural' entries here are as nice they could be. So it's between RR and isdky. I'm going to go for....

RR! - please set the next Challenge.
~Pete
RR
Posted 02/06/2009 - 11:12 Link
Thanks for the challenge & the judging Pete. I'm not going to set the next challenge as the participation is somewhat lacking. Apologies to those who have enjoyed it, I wonder if Brian (isdky) wants to continue it by setting the next challenge.
This may be more a challenge for the drab winter months when people are sat at their computer with some time on their hands perhaps.
isdky
Posted 02/06/2009 - 13:11 Link
I'm thinking maybe we should set this to be a fortnightly challenge/competition - as, like RR said, its something to do when the weather eventually turns bad (only a matter of time in this country!). So I will set this going tomorrow evening and let it run for just under two weeks giving people two weekends to have a go. Plus, I'll try and get something interesting for everyone to have a stab at... maybe a macro shot?
"Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." Terry Pratchett

Flickr Photostream

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo