Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Rare 'soft' lens

dynamosh
Posted 15/01/2010 - 20:38 Link
Found this for sale:

http://www.acecameras.co.uk/asp/web/recorprod/1/product/13999/cat/1579/ph/cat/keywords//recor/1/SearchFor//PT_ID/1/product.asp

I haven't seen a 'soft' lens before - seems to go against the 'sharper is better' grain that so often pervades lens discussions.

I take it they were designed for potraiture?
Don
Posted 15/01/2010 - 20:47 Link
I got one and I love it!
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Don
Posted 15/01/2010 - 21:04 Link
what a weird websit... I clicked that link once and saw a pentax 85 soft, went back and got locked into a main page with no way to go back to the pentax...

I noticed that out of 29 posts most are of items for sale... are you affiliated with that company you linked to?
Just curious....
dynamosh
Posted 15/01/2010 - 22:18 Link
No I am not affiliated in any way. Just interested after doing search on google for 'used camera lenses'.

I've put a few things up for sale on here yes, I thought that was okay. I read alot, post a little. I guess I rarely think I have anything to contribute.

I'm not sure I like your insinuation
Don
Posted 15/01/2010 - 22:24 Link
No need for ruffled feathers, have you checked the link you posted to see if it still works?
I click on it I get the main site, no lens. which is weird because the first time i clicked there was a lens...
dynamosh
Posted 15/01/2010 - 22:31 Link
Consider my feathers smoothed

Just clicked again and your right, it seems to go straight to their home page now. Weird as you say; it definitely went to the 'soft lens' when I posted it.

I'm genuinely interested what you use the lens for - I honestly don't know what I would do with one.
thoughton
Posted 15/01/2010 - 22:34 Link
Their website appears to be a bit broken at the moment. I've browsed it several times before, it normally works. That soft lens has been on sale there for at least the last four months.

Dynamosh you're right they are portrait lenses. I don't really understand the necessity myself in these digital times, but from what I understand you change the aperture to adjust the softness of the image. The idea is that overly-sharp photos show too many unattractive features like pores in the skin.
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Edited by thoughton: 15/01/2010 - 22:36
Don
Posted 15/01/2010 - 22:40 Link
portraits.
the main things to remember are :

A: hard light works better than softlight....

B: compose so the area you need sharpest is dead center, it is sharper in the center and softer towards the edges, so you do your real composing by cropping after shooting, with people portraits you usually want the eyes sharp..

C: it is manual only, wider aperture are softer, stop it down and it gets progressively sharper...

D: you want a lenshood and nd filters to go with it.

I use mine with the af 1.7 teleconverter and it auto focuses...

Boke is unique and creates almost 3d orbs of light off specular highlights...
Don
Posted 15/01/2010 - 22:44 Link
I also use mine for macro abstract shots it does focus remarkably close, and for dreamy landscapes esp at night where the boke adds some interest to the nightlights.
womble
Posted 15/01/2010 - 22:59 Link
One of these went on ebay for £419.99 on Christmas Eve. Perhaps someone was desparate for a Christmas present.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
hefty1
Posted 16/01/2010 - 00:54 Link
Unusual in construction too - two elements cemented together in a single group just like a Lensbaby. The results look similar to a Lensbaby too but I'd imagine the Pentax lens is a lot easier to use and get repeatable results with.
Joining the Q
dynamosh
Posted 16/01/2010 - 12:59 Link
Sounds interesting, thanks for the info.
As I already have a FA 50mm 1.4 and the Tammy 90mm macro for potraits I think I'll give this one a miss.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.