Radio remote release

Bob and his Pentax
Posted 11/05/2008 - 17:17 Link
The subject of remote releases comes up frequently on the forum but I thought folk might like to know about one that I've just bought.

I have a Pentax IR release but that has the disadvantage of only being usable from in front or behind the camera and a limited range, but I've always fancied a radio release.

I was pointed towards a unit made under the brand name Phottix (never heard of it before) their web site (http://www.phottix.com/p3.jpg) gives little information except to say that the Phottix Remote Switch C1 will fit Pentax K100D, K110D, K10D, *istDS2 and *istD.

The only place I could find that actually sales them was an Ebay shop http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Hong-Kong-Supplies they list them as "Phottix Wireless Remote Set C1 for Canon 350D/400D/XTi" but as the Phottix web sit said it would Pentax too I decided to give it a bash. It auction or 'buy it now' I went for 'buy it now' prices are variable but I paid £7.90 + about £7 postage (still half the price of a Pentax IR remote)
Slightly more information / pictures / video / testimonies at http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Phottix-Wireless-Remote-Set-C1-for-Canon-350D-400D-XTi_W0QQitemZ180239706689QQihZ008QQcategoryZ43443QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262#ShippingPayment

They suggest delivery is 2-3 weeks mine arrived in under a week.

Unit is boxed with batteries no instructions.

Plugged straight in to K20D
Receiver dangles about 150mm from remote socket on camera.
On/off switch on receiver - red LED indicates when on
Sender has no on/off switch
half press will focus - green LEDs on sender and receiver light up
full press will take picture - green LEDs on sender and receiver turn red.
Will work in single shot mode
Will work with 2 second mirror up delay selected on camera
Will work in continuous shooting mode too. But after pressing button for three seconds it drops into an interval mode of taking 1 picture per second until receiver is turned off (or I suppose card full).

There is a choice of 16 channels to which the transmitter and receiver pair can be set so if you have more than one camera a second unit can be used on that.

max range is claimed to be 100m.
Battries are claimed to be good for 20000 actuations.

Build quality is not fantastic but for the price...

Although Phottix does not state K20D it does work with that camera and therefore it could be expected to work with a K200D too, as well as Phottix's stated list of cameras.

So for half the price of a Pentax IR remote I've got a Radio remote!

Enjoy

Bob
Good luck

Bob

Pentax user since 1978, Digital since 1997.
Kit includes: K-7, K20D, K10D, *istDS, full set DA* lens, etc
amoringello
Posted 11/05/2008 - 17:28 Link
Very cool! I am frequently frustrated with Pentax's IR remote. Even indoors at arm's length, it rarely fires on cue, and then sometimes fires when I barely touch the button.

Thanks for the link and info.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo