Question about flash/strobist equipment
Posted 01/05/2011 - 22:42
Link
Erm... I might have ignored what I said about shipping... Vivitar 285hv on route from the states...
Read a load of reviews... You never know when you'll need the most powerful hotshoe flash around...
Lets not mention this to my girlfriend...
Read a load of reviews... You never know when you'll need the most powerful hotshoe flash around...
Lets not mention this to my girlfriend...
........................................................................
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Yongnuo YN-560; Vivitar 285HV; Cactus V4 triggers...
Film:
Pentax-MX & M50mm f1.4; Spottie & 55mm f1.8; MG & M40mm 2.8...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/daveholmesphotos/
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Yongnuo YN-560; Vivitar 285HV; Cactus V4 triggers...
Film:
Pentax-MX & M50mm f1.4; Spottie & 55mm f1.8; MG & M40mm 2.8...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/daveholmesphotos/
Posted 01/05/2011 - 23:28
Link
Dave I have a smoke machine. Any use?
https://pentaxphotogallery.com" target="_blank">
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/images/black_link_small.jpg" alt="See my photos featured in the PENTAX Photogallery" />
Posted 01/05/2011 - 23:44
Link
Karl wrote:
Dave I have a smoke machine. Any use?
Could well be... I have an idea... Never used a model before... may ask a friend to model... Thinking carpark... smoke... backlit left and right in blue... off side forward fill...Dave I have a smoke machine. Any use?
Is your smoke machine portable? Battery powered?
........................................................................
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Yongnuo YN-560; Vivitar 285HV; Cactus V4 triggers...
Film:
Pentax-MX & M50mm f1.4; Spottie & 55mm f1.8; MG & M40mm 2.8...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/daveholmesphotos/
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Yongnuo YN-560; Vivitar 285HV; Cactus V4 triggers...
Film:
Pentax-MX & M50mm f1.4; Spottie & 55mm f1.8; MG & M40mm 2.8...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/daveholmesphotos/
Posted 02/05/2011 - 00:28
Link
Its a small thing but it runs off mains power.
I used it when I played gigs in Leeds. Great for setting smoke alarms off and clearing rooms.
I used it when I played gigs in Leeds. Great for setting smoke alarms off and clearing rooms.
https://pentaxphotogallery.com" target="_blank">
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/images/black_link_small.jpg" alt="See my photos featured in the PENTAX Photogallery" />
Posted 02/05/2011 - 01:04
Link
LOL!
I was thinking about something like these http://www.tlsfx.co.uk/p-40-150-second-smoke-grenades.aspx
I was thinking about something like these http://www.tlsfx.co.uk/p-40-150-second-smoke-grenades.aspx
........................................................................
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Yongnuo YN-560; Vivitar 285HV; Cactus V4 triggers...
Film:
Pentax-MX & M50mm f1.4; Spottie & 55mm f1.8; MG & M40mm 2.8...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/daveholmesphotos/
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Yongnuo YN-560; Vivitar 285HV; Cactus V4 triggers...
Film:
Pentax-MX & M50mm f1.4; Spottie & 55mm f1.8; MG & M40mm 2.8...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/daveholmesphotos/
Posted 02/05/2011 - 11:30
Link
DaveHolmes wrote:
LOL! wait til you start looking for stands!
I'm currently looking for a decent (read stable) yet poratable and compact stand that can hit 2 metres and its a nightmare to find one cheap but not too cheap...
Try Lumopro, they compare very favorable to AAA brands like manfrotto for example
LOL! wait til you start looking for stands!
I'm currently looking for a decent (read stable) yet poratable and compact stand that can hit 2 metres and its a nightmare to find one cheap but not too cheap...
Posted 02/05/2011 - 11:33
Link
DaveHolmes wrote:
According to various reviews on-line and the accessorries database on pentaxforums...
YN-560 (which I actually own and love) GN-58
Vivitar 285hv GN-120
Acording to that its around twice as powerful as the yongnuo version...
This for the Vivitar 285hvAccording to various reviews on-line and the accessorries database on pentaxforums...
YN-560 (which I actually own and love) GN-58
Vivitar 285hv GN-120
Acording to that its around twice as powerful as the yongnuo version...
Guide No.120'/37 m at 35mm
So the number you said was in feets
This for the YN560
58 (at 35mm focal length, ISO 100 in meters)
So the YN560 is quite a bit more powerful (58 vs 37)!
Posted 02/05/2011 - 13:39
Link
DaveHolmes wrote:
LOL! wait til you start looking for stands!
I'm currently looking for a decent (read stable) yet poratable and compact stand that can hit 2 metres and its a nightmare to find one cheap but not too cheap...
List of stuff I want grows every day...
Small stand for back light (maybe a tiny tripod)
Light stand (portable, 2m high)
Umbrella.
Umbrella holder.
Smoke bombs (from a paintball supplier that can't post item)
More light!!
Gels (actually on the way along with an LED-video-shoemount-light)
FA50-1.4 (under £200... Fat chance)
Permission to use a multi-storey carpark at night without being arrested...
I have a demo coming up soon in my video series on how to make stands dirt cheap.LOL! wait til you start looking for stands!
I'm currently looking for a decent (read stable) yet poratable and compact stand that can hit 2 metres and its a nightmare to find one cheap but not too cheap...
List of stuff I want grows every day...
Small stand for back light (maybe a tiny tripod)
Light stand (portable, 2m high)
Umbrella.
Umbrella holder.
Smoke bombs (from a paintball supplier that can't post item)
More light!!
Gels (actually on the way along with an LED-video-shoemount-light)
FA50-1.4 (under £200... Fat chance)
Permission to use a multi-storey carpark at night without being arrested...
as for smoke bombs, I'd melt sugar over low heat (out doors) add potasium nitrate (50:50 ratio) and cook it till it is caramel colored the drop spoonfuls onto cookie sheets onto strike anywhere wooden matches... these smoke bombs give off a bright white foggy smoke and even burn (once lit) if buried...
or... go the easy ways and go shopping for a fog machine and liquid after halloween... I bought a 400 watt unit for $5.00., again you can see it in use in one of my earlier video of a photo shoot.
as for umbrellas I did a how to for three bucks....
link
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Posted 03/05/2011 - 07:55
Link
What is the max number of flash units you can fire at the same time?
And can the on board camera flash be used at the same time?
And can the on board camera flash be used at the same time?
https://pentaxphotogallery.com" target="_blank">
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/images/black_link_small.jpg" alt="See my photos featured in the PENTAX Photogallery" />
Posted 03/05/2011 - 19:48
Link
Karl wrote:
What is the max number of flash units you can fire at the same time?
And can the on board camera flash be used at the same time?
I don't beleive there is a maximum.What is the max number of flash units you can fire at the same time?
And can the on board camera flash be used at the same time?
If you're using the other flashes on manual then you can't use the camera-flash because that's only an automatic flash so your exposure will not be good, you can use it though if you use the P-TTL wireless systyem that are in most of the newer flashes designed for Pentax.
But in all honesty in the end you would like to have controll over your light so that isn't a real option for strobist photography.
Posted 04/05/2011 - 13:18
Link
@ Karl, go the extra mile and buy some proper flash kit, I promise you wont be disappointed: http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/eng/product/calumet_genesis_300b_flash_head/cf0507 Ignore the '3 to 7 second recharge time' that only applies to running on the battery - its 1 second on mains.
It is futile trying to use little on-camera flashes off-camera
Calumet also do high quality stands that wont break the bank.
It is futile trying to use little on-camera flashes off-camera
Calumet also do high quality stands that wont break the bank.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Posted 06/01/2012 - 22:43
Link
Karl... What did you do in the end?
Are you all set up and flashing all over the shop?
Are you all set up and flashing all over the shop?
........................................................................
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Yongnuo YN-560; Vivitar 285HV; Cactus V4 triggers...
Film:
Pentax-MX & M50mm f1.4; Spottie & 55mm f1.8; MG & M40mm 2.8...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/daveholmesphotos/
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Yongnuo YN-560; Vivitar 285HV; Cactus V4 triggers...
Film:
Pentax-MX & M50mm f1.4; Spottie & 55mm f1.8; MG & M40mm 2.8...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/daveholmesphotos/
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



1174 posts
15 years
Bradford
I'm currently looking for a decent (read stable) yet poratable and compact stand that can hit 2 metres and its a nightmare to find one cheap but not too cheap...
List of stuff I want grows every day...
Small stand for back light (maybe a tiny tripod)
Light stand (portable, 2m high)
Umbrella.
Umbrella holder.
Smoke bombs (from a paintball supplier that can't post item)
More light!!
Gels (actually on the way along with an LED-video-shoemount-light)
FA50-1.4 (under £200... Fat chance)
Permission to use a multi-storey carpark at night without being arrested...
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Yongnuo YN-560; Vivitar 285HV; Cactus V4 triggers...
Film:
Pentax-MX & M50mm f1.4; Spottie & 55mm f1.8; MG & M40mm 2.8...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/daveholmesphotos/