Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Q repair?

womble
Posted 18/08/2021 - 23:16 Link
Does anyone know if the well-known problem of the Q-series ceasing to remember the date and time is something that can be repaired, and if so who is likely to be able to do it?

I thought I could just live with it but it is driving me nuts...

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
Bertie54
Posted 19/08/2021 - 17:21 Link
When my original model Q developed the fault after 20 months it was replaced (by SRS) rather than being repaired. Whether this was due to the difficulty of repairing the camera or just economics I don't know. I've seen replacement circuit boards on eBay but they are in America so along with the shipping and other costs they are very expensive by the time land on the doormat here. I've never tried to disassemble my Q so I can't comment on how easy it would be to change out a board. FWIW my replacement camera still works fine today.

I also have a Q-S1, which is my Q of choice, which also developed the fault after several years. I have learned to live with the fault. I like to geotag my pictures so it is important to me that the camera clock matches my GPS or more recently my watch. So now when I change my battery I just take a picture of my watch or GPS. I then use "Edit Capture Time" in Lightroom to correct all the timestamps for all the pictures taken with that battery using just a couple of clicks. I guess other applications have similar functionality

Steve
Lubbyman
Posted 19/08/2021 - 19:09 Link
I find that if I change batteries very quickly, there's a good chance it will remember date and time. But it must be very quick - replacement close to battery door and right way round, open door, out with the old and in with the new, no hesitation or fumbling. No guarantee that it will work with anyone else's Q though .

Someone on the American forum dismantled a Q and posted pictures. It's not for the faint hearted!

Steve
womble
Posted 19/08/2021 - 21:18 Link
Many thanks for the comments. With my red/grey Q-S1 it loses the date and time every time I turn it off (or it turns itself off), not just when you change the battery (which is what happens with my original Q).

I'm not going to try DIY. Cack-handed doesn't even begin to describe my abilities at delicate tasks.

Thanks, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
HarisF1
Posted 19/08/2021 - 21:35 Link
I did a bit of googling when I first saw this topic and users were saying the Q-S1 used a different battery/method than the other Q cameras. This backup battery might now be 'dead' in your example, Kris.
All the gear with no idea
johnriley
Posted 19/08/2021 - 22:10 Link
It's also possible to set the time and date without realising that there's one final setting confirmation, otherwise the settings will be lost.
Best regards, John
Defragged
Posted 20/08/2021 - 18:29 Link
Lubbyman wrote:
I find that if I change batteries very quickly, there's a good chance it will remember date and time. But it must be very quick - replacement close to battery door and right way round, open door, out with the old and in with the new, no hesitation or fumbling. No guarantee that it will work with anyone else's Q though .

Someone on the American forum dismantled a Q and posted pictures. It's not for the faint hearted!

Steve

And the key to the success of this trick is to ensure the battery you are about to remove is not completely dead. Turn the Q on and leave it on for 5 - 10 mins. (It will switch itself off after 5 mins so turn it on again straight away) This will ensure that when you do remove the battery, the Q's capacitors will retain some residual charge and thereby keep its settings. As Lubbyman points out though, the battery exchange needs to be performed as quick as possible if it' to be successful.

I know it works as I have an original Q which manifests this problem and it works for me.

Good luck.
C.O.L.B.A.S victim
(Compulsive Obsessive Lens Buying Addiction Syndrome)

What you need are lenses, more lenses, bigger lenses, better lenses, faster lenses, vintage lenses and when you have these, your pictures will be perfect!

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.