PSE9

Oggy

Link Posted 23/10/2010 - 23:38
Is anyone using this? Is it a real step forward over previous editions (I am still using 7)?

Has anyone tried the 30 day trial? I have heard stories about people downloading trials the finding their original versions do not work.

Any input appreciated.

Gwyn

Link Posted 24/10/2010 - 10:29
I haven't downloaded the trial - I never manage to get a key from Adobe to buy it at the end of the trial.

Now Amazon are doing free shipping to Europe (Yay!!!) I'm going to buy it from them, on a disc.

Hyram

Link Posted 25/10/2010 - 09:07
Planning to move from 7 to 9, but have not done so, as yet
Hyram

Bodies: K20D (2), K10D, Super A, ME Super, Auto 110 SLR, X70, Optio P70
Pentax Glass: DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA* 50-135, DA* 16-50, DA 70 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, DA 18-55 (2), DA 12-24, DA 10-17, M 200, A 35-70, M 40, M 28, Converter-A 2X-S, 1.4X-S, AF 1.7, Pentax-110 50, Pentax-110 24
Other Glass: Sigma 105 macro, Sigma-A APO 75-300
Flash: Metz 58 AF-1 P, Pentax AF160FC ringflash, Pentax AF280T

coker

Link Posted 25/10/2010 - 19:18
Have just bought PSE9, my first editing software (apart from with-camera supplied stuff).

Still wading through "The Missing Manual".........!

Coker.
The more I look, the more there is to see!

Gwyn

Link Posted 25/10/2010 - 21:47
Coker - see what other books are out there. The Missing Manual books are great, but very dry.
Scott Kelby and Matt Koslowski have a great easy access "this is how you do it" project based guide. I don't think their one for 9 is out yet though.
There are a few other books already for PSE 9 which may work in a similar way.
I know I recommended the Missing Manual but it is hard going if you've not used PSE before.

coker

Link Posted 25/10/2010 - 22:22
Thanks, gwyn.

Yes. I noticed that.... hard going, or what! But at 20+, I can't just move on to the next...,& the next...?

Coker.
The more I look, the more there is to see!

Anvh

Link Posted 25/10/2010 - 22:23
But the difference between PSE 8 and 9 isn't that great right, there are only some new tools and options but fundamentally it's the same or not?
So maybe you can use books for PSE 8 as well.
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

user_removed

Link Posted 26/10/2010 - 21:35
Oggy wrote:
Is anyone using this? Is it a real step forward over previous editions (I am still using 7)?

Has anyone tried the 30 day trial? I have heard stories about people downloading trials the finding their original versions do not work.

I use 8, soon after getting news of its release I assessed 9 on the Adobe versions-features-comparison website and quickly decided it was not justified to update, for me.

Didn't bother downloading and trialing 9 after that, sorry.

link

With consumer-end s/w product like PSE, their price diff is often marginal anyway on Upgrade v Full.
So skipping the treadmill for an extra year or three doesn't penalise you much even if you have to restart over.

I'm also considering hanging out for Lightroom, so saving a few pesos can't go astray to cover their extortion on that if I do decide to plunge (eventually).

2 main reasons:
- LR upgrades are considerably less cost (1/3rd) ongoing, not much more than PSE Upg price really.
- LR being "Pro" status s/w, customers are looked after better too, more patches etc., released during the product life cycle.

eg. LR3 has already had a 3.2 increment (free), but my PSE8 is still 8.0 after a year!

And would still have a very usable PSE for basic editing if needed. Hmm....

.R.
Last Edited by user_removed on 26/10/2010 - 21:48

Oggy

Link Posted 26/10/2010 - 22:32
Thanks for the reply R.

I had never really thought or Lightroom and PSE as alternatives to each other, rather complementary to each other (LR for raw-jpg, PSE for jpgs).

I did try Lightroom3 beta, but was not taken with it enough to change from Silkypix which I have used some time now.

From the sound of it I am not going to rush out and buy PSE9.

johna

Link Posted 28/10/2010 - 14:37
Hi

I am still getting to grips with PSE7. I have both the Missing Manual and The Scott Kelby Book and have just purchased PSE7 advanced manual. Is there any point upgrading to 9?

Perhaps someone could help me with this problem I have at present and that is cloning when I have layers. It is driving me mad and none of the books seem to help. I have an image with background layer and on top of this two l;evels layers and Hue and Saturation layer. I now realise I need to do some cloning but it wont let me do this or nothing seems to happen when I try. I have even flattened the image and tried to clone on the background put it keeps cloning just black sploges? I have tries adding a new empty layer but it wont let me clone on that either grrrr. Niether can I do a shadow highlights edit on the layers?
There are three kinds of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't

andyvarney

Link Posted 28/10/2010 - 15:05
Well, I was using 7 and have just this week installed 9.

The reason I bought it was that layer masks are included so you don't have to use any awkward work around or add in, but I am probably fortunate in being able to afford that luxury.

There are also some really fun guided edits which I have enjoyed.

I did this in my tea break yesterday, Surfs Up In Saltburn!......

And came up with this

Andy
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog!
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.