PSE & Lightroom

Davea66

Link Posted 05/04/2013 - 12:08
Hi

A little advice please!
I have a copy of Photoshop Elements 9 which seems to do everything I need.
I have been trying out the trial of Lightroom 4, which seems great at manipulating RAW files.
I have updated my PSE 9 recently to cope with Pentax PEF Raw files which seesm to do a lot opf what LR4 will do, although I like the publish to Flickr, Facebook etc. built into LR4.
So the question is really, if I have PSE9, do I really need to buy LR4 as well, or could I make better use of PSE9?

hope my ramblings make some sense!

cheers!

Dave

dougf8

Link Posted 05/04/2013 - 12:50
Do you tag lots of images with key words?
Do you need to quickly select candidate images from a large photoshoot then batch process them?
Do you need to organize high volumes of images into collections?
Do you mainly perform basic editing of single layer images?

yesses might point to LR being beneficial.

If you are low volume, if you are happy editing in PSE, if you can manage your image collections without LR then don't bother. Picasa probably will do for free.

Lightroom is as it says a kind of negative management environment with a basic (but highly effective) editor.

PSE is a cut down affordable consumer image editor.
Lurking is shirking.!

Davea66

Link Posted 05/04/2013 - 13:15
Thanks for the reply

it sounds like I just stick with PSE really!

cheers

Smeggypants

Link Posted 05/04/2013 - 13:57
dougf8 wrote:
Do you need to quickly select candidate images from a large photoshoot then batch process them?

If you are low volume, if you are happy editing in PSE, if you can manage your image collections without LR then don't bother. Picasa probably will do for free.

Lightroom is as it says a kind of negative management environment with a basic (but highly effective) editor.

I think "basic" is rather unwittingly dumbing down the power of lightoom's editing.

Of course it doesn't contain all the features that you'd expect to cater for graphic designers/image editors, but for photogrpahers I'd hardly call it basic.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

dougf8

Link Posted 05/04/2013 - 14:06
Smeggypants wrote:
dougf8 wrote:

I think "basic" is rather unwittingly dumbing down the power of lightoom's editing.

Of course it doesn't contain all the features that you'd expect to cater for graphic designers/image editors, but for photogrpahers I'd hardly call it basic.

In comparison to PSE and CS5 it is "basic".
Not unsophisicated, just basic.
Lurking is shirking.!

Davea66

Link Posted 05/04/2013 - 14:15
Basic it may be but in my very limited experience does appear to give many more possibilities with the RAW file?

dougf8

Link Posted 05/04/2013 - 14:35
Davea66 wrote:
Basic it may be but in my very limited experience does appear to give many more possibilities with the RAW file?

LR you can work on the RAW file in real time until you are happy with your view and export it.

PSE and PS you import the RAW file as a fixed starting point. You then edit from that fixed point. It requires more vision, perhaps, if you want to get to get to a particular point or just patience to perform the iterations of RAW import to get to your goal.

Back to basic: example
To invert an B&W image in PS, CTRL-I
To invert in LR3, muck about with the curve and drag the ends to the other side ..... I think.
Lurking is shirking.!
Last Edited by dougf8 on 05/04/2013 - 14:45

Gwyn

Link Posted 05/04/2013 - 14:40
If you have only recently bought PSE 9 then I would spend more time learning to use it, and finding it's limitations before considering another program.
That said Lightroom and PSE do work well together, and you may feel you want to add it later.

pentax

Link Posted 05/04/2013 - 15:09
Hi Dave I have used lightroom from no1. I find it easer to use and find that it meets all my needs and very rarely use photoshop.
Derek

Smeggypants

Link Posted 05/04/2013 - 20:10
dougf8 wrote:
Smeggypants wrote:
Quote:

Of course it doesn't contain all the features that you'd expect to cater for graphic designers/image editors, but for photographers I'd hardly call it basic.

Indeed. See the bit n bold.
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..

jemx99

Link Posted 05/04/2013 - 22:31
Gwyn wrote:
If you have only recently bought PSE 9 then I would spend more time learning to use it, and finding it's limitations before considering another program.
That said Lightroom and PSE do work well together, and you may feel you want to add it later.

I'm with Gwyn here -Lightroom and Elements do work well together -I do most things in Lightroom - however you can open up images in Elements from Lightroom when you need to do a panorama or use layers etc.

dougf8

Link Posted 05/04/2013 - 22:34
Smeggypants wrote:
dougf8 wrote:
Quote:
dougf8 wrote:

Of course it doesn't contain all the features that you'd expect to cater for graphic designers/image editors, but for photographers I'd hardly call it basic.

Indeed. See the bit n bold.

See the bit in bold !!!
Lurking is shirking.!
Last Edited by dougf8 on 05/04/2013 - 22:35

Smeggypants

Link Posted 05/04/2013 - 23:57
dougf8 wrote:

[heavy Mancunian accent]

No neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed!!

[/heavy Mancunian accent]

PeterKR

Link Posted 06/04/2013 - 20:21
Davea66 wrote:
Hi

A little advice please!
I have a copy of Photoshop Elements 9 which seems to do everything I need.
I have been trying out the trial of Lightroom 4, which seems great at manipulating RAW files.
I have updated my PSE 9 recently to cope with Pentax PEF Raw files which seesm to do a lot opf what LR4 will do, although I like the publish to Flickr, Facebook etc. built into LR4.
So the question is really, if I have PSE9, do I really need to buy LR4 as well, or could I make better use of PSE9?

hope my ramblings make some sense!

cheers!

Dave

Since you already have PSE 9 you don't need to spend money on a RAW developer since one came FREE with the camera ! Hopefully you got Pentax Digital Camera Utilty (PDCU4) unless you have a K30 !

I use PDCU4 all the time now after I learnt how to use if from Nigel's 'Mini Guide' published elsewhere on this Forum.

I always shoot in both RAW and jpeg so that I can get a quick glance from the jpeg but use the RAW file for the images that I like. Whilst the 'out of camera' jpegs are not bad from the K-r they are often a bit dull and 'flat'. That's why I started experimenting with the RAW files.

PDCU4 is rather 'mind bogling' at first glance as it is not very User Friendly. However after spending a little time exploring how it functions with the aid of the Mini Guide it now only takes a few seconds to turn a dull image into one that 'sparkles' ! (At least, that's MY opinion !)

Good luck
Peter

sussexwolf

Link Posted 06/04/2013 - 21:31
Having used PSE, PS5 & LR4 I would pick LR4 for photos every time for RAW. You do need to revert to PS for graphics and removing dust and objects as LR has a basic editor for those functions. If you shoot JPEG then PSE is a great option and also enables you to add graphic and text. PS is great for the ultimate in image manipulation but is not good for cataloging as Bridge is in my view quite basic.
K30, K-x, *ist DL. Pentax 60-250 F4, Sigma 18-125 & 70-300
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.