Pro lens - can one do it all

testbloke
Posted 02/11/2010 - 15:38 Link
Pretty much as the title says, I currently have :-
K20D, Kx
18-55WR, 50-200DAL, M50F2, M200F4 and from today 100DFA macro.

Have just started a website and intention is to cover some small local events, so far sports seem to be on offer more than anything.
Wanting to update wish list and hoping to shortcut from the 50-200DAL to a pro spec of similar range. The obvious choice is the new DA* 60-250, at F4 it should be enough for most sports (?). I believe the autofocus is quite good on this. On my wish list, for portrait and / or wedding coverage (eventually), can I still get away with this or do I then need to consider upgrading the 18-55WR to a 17-70 or 16-50DA* ?
Coming from the other side, my other thought was the 50-135DA* then a 1.7x teleconvertor for sports but have then read that the autofocus on this lens is pretty pedestrian even without the convertor.
Please help me update my wish list then fingers crossed, santa coming soon etc
vic cross
Posted 02/11/2010 - 16:36 Link
I will say that for weddings on a APS.C (1.5x) you need to have at least a 35mm at one end.=50mm on film camera. When I did wedding photography on medium format I used two lenses. A 75mm equal to a 35mm on your K20/Kx. and a 55mm equal to a 24mm on your cameras. Use your feet as a zoom. If you want a good zoom lens for weddings on you K20 then the Sigma 24-70 F2.8 would be great. If you can pick up a second hand lens then the Sigma 24-60 F2.8 which is the earlier model (Which I have) that would do OK. The 24 end for indoor and the 60/70 end for portraits.
CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.
testbloke
Posted 02/11/2010 - 21:38 Link
Thank you for the advice Vic. At the moment, the weddings are referred to someone that knows what they are doing (!) but have been asked to shoot a small registery office ceremony next year for a friend.
I have not come across the 24-70 but was previously considering the 17-70, will research this one also.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo