Printing Paper
Posted 01/04/2011 - 22:24
Link
I use Jessops Heavyweight Matt 230gsm quite a bit and it gives gorgeous velvety blacks...
Posted 01/04/2011 - 22:29
Link
I use matte paper for mono prints usually. I have also used it for very pastel coloured prints.
I don't much like high gloss so use a satin paper for other prints.
I don't much like high gloss so use a satin paper for other prints.
Posted 01/04/2011 - 22:39
Link
Gwyn wrote:
I use matte paper for mono prints usually. I have also used it for very pastel coloured prints.
I don't much like high gloss so use a satin paper for other prints.
It is the pastel thing that started me thinking but I'm not sure on the difference between satin, matte and semi gloss.I use matte paper for mono prints usually. I have also used it for very pastel coloured prints.
I don't much like high gloss so use a satin paper for other prints.
johnriley wrote:
I use Jessops Heavyweight Matt 230gsm quite a bit and it gives gorgeous velvety blacks...
So do you only use it for monochrome, John?
I use Jessops Heavyweight Matt 230gsm quite a bit and it gives gorgeous velvety blacks...
Barrie - Too Old To Die Young
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/
Posted 01/04/2011 - 23:12
Link
Quote:
So do you only use it for monochrome, John?
No, also for colour, where the shadows are deep and rich. I should have been clearer! A good example might be a portrait in frony of black velvet curtains - the background would look deep and rich and would have superb texture.
So do you only use it for monochrome, John?
Best regards, John
Posted 01/04/2011 - 23:47
Link
Matte paper are easier on the eyes due to the lack of reflections, but colors, especially blacks, won't look as dense as glossy paper.
On the other hand, quite a few glossy paper will be kind of smudge/water resistant with inkjet printing, which is almost never the case with matte paper.
Personally speaking, I like matte finish better than glossy.
On the other hand, quite a few glossy paper will be kind of smudge/water resistant with inkjet printing, which is almost never the case with matte paper.
Personally speaking, I like matte finish better than glossy.
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)
Posted 02/04/2011 - 10:41
Link
I find that I mainly prefer a "lustre" finish for landscapes - (pretty much the same as satin finish I guess?) it doesn't have the reflective finish of gloss but I find it adds a bit more depth and "pop" to some scenes than Matt.
If printing at home I use the Ilford Galerie smooth pearl which is excellent, if using a lab I use DSCL mainly who offer lustre at no additional cost.
Simon
If printing at home I use the Ilford Galerie smooth pearl which is excellent, if using a lab I use DSCL mainly who offer lustre at no additional cost.
Simon
My website http://www.landscapephotographyuk.com
My Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/landscapephotographyuk
Find me on Google+ link
My Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/landscapephotographyuk
Find me on Google+ link
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


6913 posts
17 years
Co. Durham UK
https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/