Printing

RobL

Link Posted 12/10/2017 - 18:10
I finally got around to a photo printer, an Epson SureColor P400; hells teeth it ain’t straightforward! Firstly the instructions (which are on a disc) haven’t been updated for IOS 12 Sierra but traced the drivers on the US Epson website. Now, just press Print? Oh, no, first you calibrate the screen with a special gadget then unless you are using Epson photo paper you download the ICC profiles for each type of paper you use from the manufacturers. Then find how to load these into the right folder which in Sierra has been hidden so you need to know how and where to look - who knew? Why are they hidden? Wasted a day trawling through google to find how to do this. Next, make a softproof copy in Lightroom and set up the print. After some trial and error I have a couple of acceptable test prints on 4”x 6” so ready for some larger ‘keepers’. To be honest before all this I thought I would just do the odd one or two a month but it is getting rather addictive and can’t wait to try an A3 size.

Also occurs that as everyone’s computer screen is different and most won’t be calibrated then our images will be viewed differently; doing a print means I can get the image how I want it to look and keep.

Algernon

Link Posted 12/10/2017 - 19:05
In Windows there's an Icon that looks like a printer (bit of a hint really )
I just press that and it churns out a print Simples!

---
Half Man... Half Pentax

Pentax K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

RobL

Link Posted 14/10/2017 - 08:23
The screen calibrator definitely makes a difference, prints do come out looking like they should. Printing has added a new purpose to my photography, it completes the creative process which beforehand didn’t quite match up to painting. When I take the camera out now I am looking to see what will produce a nice printed image rather than just a digital record on a hard drive or Flickr. Luckily I have two excellent suppliers of photo paper nearby, the PermaJet HQ is just ten minutes away although not good for my bank balance! I am using a smooth matt paper for misty seascapes and the like, and gloss where I want colours and details to really pop.

Ps it is interesting to go through my catalogue of saved images to see which would make prints worthy of display - surprisingly few! A great way to refine your portfolio.
Last Edited by RobL on 14/10/2017 - 08:28

SteveF

Link Posted 16/10/2017 - 08:32
Hey Rob, we must almost be neighbours - I'm 20 minutes from Permajet. It's very convenient. Are you going to the Open Day on 5th November? There are usually some good offers.

RobL

Link Posted 16/10/2017 - 16:28
SteveF wrote:
Hey Rob, we must almost be neighbours - I'm 20 minutes from Permajet. It's very convenient. Are you going to the Open Day on 5th November? There are usually some good offers.

Sadly no, I will be away.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.