Pricing advice?

aliengrove

Link Posted 03/12/2014 - 14:31
I've been asked to give a quote to a major advertising agency for use of one or more of my images (taken on a K5 )for a worldwide advertising campaign, billboards, print and web, and have no idea what to quote. Does anyone have any experience/knowledge/links that could help me out? I've got to send the quote by tomorrow.

Ironically, it's a campaign for my employers, and the images were taken from one of their planes!

Any pointers most welcome.
Flurble

My Website
PPG
flickr
G+
Facebook

spinno

Link Posted 03/12/2014 - 17:10

aliengrove

Link Posted 03/12/2014 - 17:36
Thanks, but that's freelance rates rather than selling rates.
Flurble

My Website
PPG
flickr
G+
Facebook

Fletcher8

Link Posted 03/12/2014 - 17:52
Hi Jonathan

If the image or images are going to be used electronically and for print it can get complicated. My first thought was to ask is, are you intending to licence the image or images? Or just sell the image, images and all rights?

If the images were taken in one of the companies planes, you may come into conflict when you start trying to arrange a licence and a fee.

Why does the quote have to be provided by tomorrow? If they are serious about wanting to use your image, they should be willing to provide you with more time.

You could get the ball rolling by asking if they were wanting to purchase a license to use the images or pay a one of fee for the image rights.

Finally what are you wanting to get out of this, is it purely financial or something else?

Legal advice can be expensive but due to the nature of the images use, it might be an avenue to really think about?

The problem with all the guidelines regarding images prices on line, is that they are often simple and straight forward. In your case it is not, so you will need to negotiate which is tuff and not easy.
Fletcher8.
Last Edited by Fletcher8 on 03/12/2014 - 17:56

aliengrove

Link Posted 03/12/2014 - 18:18
Thanks for the reply, Fletch!

They want to license the image for one year, worldwide exclusive use for print, web and OOH (ie buses, taxis and billboards).

I'm just after as much as the image is worth in the context they want to use it; I retain all copyright, and receive no credit for the image, which suits me. Exif will be stripped.

They need the image for a campaign starting mid-December; I've no idea why it's such short notice, but it's happened on the last couple of images I've sold too. The last one, for a magazine article, I was contacted the day before printing! In that case they just said they would pay me 300 Euros. Bizarrely, they insisted on a contract that stipulated single usage, and I've now sold the same image to 3 magazines in the same publishing group.

Anyway, I digress. I'm just looking for a fair, standard market price for the image for use as stipulated.
Flurble

My Website
PPG
flickr
G+
Facebook

alig

Link Posted 03/12/2014 - 22:25
Hi Jonathan,

Have you tried the calculator on Alamy?
If you click on an image then click the small calculator icon it takes you to a series of drop down menus to ascertain what the image is used for.

It may give you a starting figure.

PS that's Alamy's price and the photographer gets 50% (I think)
Cheers

Ali

ist* DS & Ricoh GR
Last Edited by alig on 03/12/2014 - 22:25

cabstar

Link Posted 03/12/2014 - 23:22
I would also use the Getty calculator which has a 70/30 split 30% to the photographer.
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

aliengrove

Link Posted 04/12/2014 - 07:32
Thanks, Gary and Ali!

I've run it on both calculators, also the AOP one. Does the Getty calculator give you the total licensing fee or the photographers percentage, Gary?
Flurble

My Website
PPG
flickr
G+
Facebook
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.