Post Holloween - a NICE graveyard

davidwozhere

Link Posted 07/11/2018 - 14:15
In 1836 the City of Birmingham opened a Municipal cemetery at Key Hill to cope with pressure for burial space due to the city's burgeoning population.
It is grade II listed and although the "Friends of the Cemetery" would like it restored, its quiet and dignified dilapidation offers a tranquil and extremely
pleasant retreat from the urban turmoil all around it.

It was planted with London Plane trees which have matured into magnificent specimens that complement the softly aged monumental masonry.

This is the final resting place of every prosperous Victorian who made Birmingham "great" and who were indeed the movers and shakers of their day but
walking around here puts such greatness into thoughtful perspective. The money lavished on their memorials dissipated long ago, as have the memories
of those who spent it.

What has not disappeared however is the skill of those who created the memorials. It seems quite fitting that the egos of the great and the good should
be so deflated while the industry and labour of those humble artisans should shine through the centuries?

As with everything, fashion has its place here. In common with other burial grounds (Glasgow necropolis, for example) the stir caused by the erection of
"Cleopatra's Needle" in London -1878 - and its fellow in New York - 1881 - made it essential that bigger and better obelisks should mark one's demise.

Whether cost, fashion or the authorities dictated change however, Egyptian mania was short lived. Almost as if a line was drawn, rows of these superbly
crafted but plain memorials took over around 1903.

A memorial solely of women and those recalling infant mortality make you think of how our society has changed over time.

and how it has risen

and fallen

Comments, both on the text and the pictures are welcomed
(K3 and PLM 55-300)
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

Aitch53

Link Posted 07/11/2018 - 15:19
A NICE graveyard? Well, I suppose none of the inhabitants have complained...

Like the pictures, by the way, especially 2, 6, 7 and 8.
SteveH!

Some people call me 'strange'.
I prefer 'unconventional'.
But I'm willing to compromise and accept 'eccentric'.

stub

Link Posted 07/11/2018 - 15:27
Certainly stills...!! With no need to worry over motion blur... Should be right up the Pentax street...
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..

1stEverPentax

Link Posted 07/11/2018 - 19:20
Nice set complimented by your commentary.

Regards

Karlo

reso

Link Posted 07/11/2018 - 20:04
different but a great set thanks for sharing
k3 k5iis sigma 8-16 hsm tamron 17-50 2.8 sigma 24-70 2.8 ex dg macro pentax fa 28-80 pz pentax fa 28-105 pentax f 35-70 pentax F 50 1;1;7 tokina af 70-210 pentax da*50-135 da*300 tamron sp 500 kenko pz af dg 1.5 converter and a flash

pschlute

Link Posted 07/11/2018 - 22:48
A nice set, the first attracts me for it's simplicity and warm autumn light.

When I lived in London I would often visit Brompton cemetery nearby which had the same feel as you have shown in your pictures.
Peter

My Flickr page

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 12/11/2018 - 23:58
Interesting set... thanks for the background info... I used to spend quite a bit of time in Nunhead Cemetery in South East London when I lived round that neck of the woods... similar feel I think...

Best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Instagram
Facebook
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.