Portraits
Posted 18/01/2020 - 22:00 - Helpful Comment
Link
Like Chris I find the 150 f/2.8 to be very good on medium format (6x7).
Despite having a some lenses of the classic portrait focal length, each time I go back to using the Pentax-M 50 f/1.7 I get pleasing results from this cheap, widely available lens, whether on digital or film. It is also easy to use in capturing the children, even when they are running around whilst having a mad half-hour.
Despite having a some lenses of the classic portrait focal length, each time I go back to using the Pentax-M 50 f/1.7 I get pleasing results from this cheap, widely available lens, whether on digital or film. It is also easy to use in capturing the children, even when they are running around whilst having a mad half-hour.
Nigel.
Getting older and grumpier. Taking longer to decide which lens to use today.
K5 with auto-everything lenses
A collection of manual primes to keep me in touch with the pleasures of doing it old-school.
Getting older and grumpier. Taking longer to decide which lens to use today.
K5 with auto-everything lenses
A collection of manual primes to keep me in touch with the pleasures of doing it old-school.
Posted 19/01/2020 - 09:55 - Helpful Comment
Link
I think John is correct in his earlier comment of...."You can practically use anything you like"... and Daroni's comments about compression are also so very true..
I think fast is a necessity... Medium range.. I do a lot of my shots in studio. Never had the pleasure to own an 85mm f1.4 ... Eagerly awaiting the new one..!! I use 100mm macro on a full frame camera.. Nice for headshots, But for leaves you a little far away from the subject. So difficult to converse with the model..
DFA 24-70 f2.8 Great lens for portrait work or 50mm f1.4
At the end of the day.. I'm not retailing my photos.. So as long as I get what I like all in the garden is rosey....
I think fast is a necessity... Medium range.. I do a lot of my shots in studio. Never had the pleasure to own an 85mm f1.4 ... Eagerly awaiting the new one..!! I use 100mm macro on a full frame camera.. Nice for headshots, But for leaves you a little far away from the subject. So difficult to converse with the model..
DFA 24-70 f2.8 Great lens for portrait work or 50mm f1.4
At the end of the day.. I'm not retailing my photos.. So as long as I get what I like all in the garden is rosey....

K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses
Stuart..
Stuart..
Posted 19/01/2020 - 10:03
Link
[ Some cracking photos there thank you for sharing ian ]
Thanks Ian, really appreciated
Thanks Ian, really appreciated
Chris
www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk
" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".
-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8
Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8, Pentax A 50mm F1.2
K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM
www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk
" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".
-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8
Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8, Pentax A 50mm F1.2
K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM
Posted 19/01/2020 - 14:44
Link
Just a thought do members ever consider using the old film lenses for this type of work. I heard on a photographic site. Some photographers were reverting back to these old film lenses in favor of the modern ones. As they felt some modern lenses were giving to sharp an image.
Ian
Ian
Posted 19/01/2020 - 15:06 - Helpful Comment
Link
It depends on format, environment and what you're trying to portray about the subject. Well before the K-1 arrived, the BJP stated that the FA77 was one of the best full frame portrait lenses ever made (they don't dish out praise like that lightly).
Posted 19/01/2020 - 16:48
Link
philstaff wrote:
Just a thought do members ever consider using the old film lenses for this type of work. I heard on a photographic site. Some photographers were reverting back to these old film lenses in favor of the modern ones. As they felt some modern lenses were giving to sharp an image.
Ian
I use old film lenses all the time. They can give beautiful results.
Just a thought do members ever consider using the old film lenses for this type of work. I heard on a photographic site. Some photographers were reverting back to these old film lenses in favor of the modern ones. As they felt some modern lenses were giving to sharp an image.
Ian
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
Posted 19/01/2020 - 17:13
Link
womble wrote:
Absolutely agree - they can and do
philstaff wrote:
Just a thought do members ever consider using the old film lenses for this type of work. I heard on a photographic site. Some photographers were reverting back to these old film lenses in favor of the modern ones. As they felt some modern lenses were giving to sharp an image.
Ian
I use old film lenses all the time. They can give beautiful results.Just a thought do members ever consider using the old film lenses for this type of work. I heard on a photographic site. Some photographers were reverting back to these old film lenses in favor of the modern ones. As they felt some modern lenses were giving to sharp an image.
Ian
LennyBloke
Posted 19/01/2020 - 17:19
Link
LennyBloke wrote:
What would you recommend.
womble wrote:
Absolutely agree - they can and do philstaff wrote:
Just a thought do members ever consider using the old film lenses for this type of work. I heard on a photographic site. Some photographers were reverting back to these old film lenses in favor of the modern ones. As they felt some modern lenses were giving to sharp an image.
Ian
I use old film lenses all the time. They can give beautiful results.Just a thought do members ever consider using the old film lenses for this type of work. I heard on a photographic site. Some photographers were reverting back to these old film lenses in favor of the modern ones. As they felt some modern lenses were giving to sharp an image.
Ian
Posted 19/01/2020 - 17:35 - Helpful Comment
Link
Are you talking FF or APS-C, and what sort of money do you want to spend?
For FF the Pentax 85mm f2 is a well thought of lens...
https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-M-85mm-F2-Lens.html
..and has dropped in price from up to £200 a couple of years back to between £100 and £150.
The disadvantage is that you don't have all the metering modes available to you (green button metering), but with portraits this often doesn't matter.
A bit pricier is the K 85mm f1.8 - but it's a bit of a collectors lens now and will usually over £200.
I have used both of these lenses quite happily (I have an M series for sale in the classified Ads), as have many others.
If you're looking for APS-C then I would recommend virtually any of the Pentax 50mm's - and these are usually very reasonably priced - one of the best buys (IMO) is the Pentax F 50mm 1.7, for well under £100 you get an AF lens with all metering modes and reasonably fast aperture. Or you could go for a slightly faster 1.4 version (in F, FA, A or M) for a bit more money.
If you're happy to spend a little more then the DA*55/1.4 is IMO one of the best modern lenses for portraiture (on APS-C) and is quite usable as a standard lens on FF (although not officially).
Hope that helps a little!
All the best John
For FF the Pentax 85mm f2 is a well thought of lens...
https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-M-85mm-F2-Lens.html
..and has dropped in price from up to £200 a couple of years back to between £100 and £150.
The disadvantage is that you don't have all the metering modes available to you (green button metering), but with portraits this often doesn't matter.
A bit pricier is the K 85mm f1.8 - but it's a bit of a collectors lens now and will usually over £200.
I have used both of these lenses quite happily (I have an M series for sale in the classified Ads), as have many others.
If you're looking for APS-C then I would recommend virtually any of the Pentax 50mm's - and these are usually very reasonably priced - one of the best buys (IMO) is the Pentax F 50mm 1.7, for well under £100 you get an AF lens with all metering modes and reasonably fast aperture. Or you could go for a slightly faster 1.4 version (in F, FA, A or M) for a bit more money.
If you're happy to spend a little more then the DA*55/1.4 is IMO one of the best modern lenses for portraiture (on APS-C) and is quite usable as a standard lens on FF (although not officially).
Hope that helps a little!
All the best John
LennyBloke
Posted 19/01/2020 - 23:55 - Helpful Comment
Link
philstaff wrote:
Just a thought do members ever consider using the old film lenses for this type of work. I heard on a photographic site. Some photographers were reverting back to these old film lenses in favor of the modern ones. As they felt some modern lenses were giving to sharp an image.
Ian
Oh yes !!!!!!Just a thought do members ever consider using the old film lenses for this type of work. I heard on a photographic site. Some photographers were reverting back to these old film lenses in favor of the modern ones. As they felt some modern lenses were giving to sharp an image.
Ian
apologies they are all pooches, but I only do dog portraits !
K 28mm f2 Hollywood

K 85mm f2.2 SOFT

K 28mm f3.5

Peter
My Flickr page
My Flickr page
Posted 20/01/2020 - 06:48 - Helpful Comment
Link
My favoured focal length for casual portraits is a normal lens, so 35mm on APS-C (equivalent to 50-55mm) on film/FF. Of the lenses I have, the DA 35mm Limited is my favourite on Pnetax, the 35mm f/1.4 on my Fujifilm gear.
A couple of examples from the Limited:

IMGP4576a by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr

Raquel by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
When I've done more formal portraits I found the DA 70mm Limited was the perfect length, but I don't have any examples I can post here.
A couple of examples from the Limited:

IMGP4576a by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr

Raquel by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
When I've done more formal portraits I found the DA 70mm Limited was the perfect length, but I don't have any examples I can post here.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X and Panasonic L digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
Posted 20/01/2020 - 07:50 - Helpful Comment
Link
There is an FA 85mm soft lens for sale at Ffordes if anyone is interested. I was tempted but think I would rather get softening in Lightroom, but softening isn’t apparently like out of focus it just diffuses the light whilst retaining definition and works best with back lighting; Lee Filters do a range of square soft filters which is another option to get the diffuse effect.
I have just remembered a Photoshop technique of layering and blending a sharp image with a softened version for landscape and could ŵork for portrait so might give a try in an idle moment.
The only 50mm prime I have now is the f2.8 macro which does me for dog portraits, I too am awaiting the new 85mm but lust after the 77mm Limited and cannot justify both.
I have just remembered a Photoshop technique of layering and blending a sharp image with a softened version for landscape and could ŵork for portrait so might give a try in an idle moment.
The only 50mm prime I have now is the f2.8 macro which does me for dog portraits, I too am awaiting the new 85mm but lust after the 77mm Limited and cannot justify both.
Posted 20/01/2020 - 08:23 - Helpful Comment
Link
RobL wrote:
There is an FA 85mm soft lens for sale at Ffordes if anyone is interested. I was tempted but think I would rather get softening in Lightroom, but softening isn’t apparently like out of focus it just diffuses the light whilst retaining definition and works best with back lighting; Lee Filters do a range of square soft filters which is another option to get the diffuse effect.
Like this one Rob...There is an FA 85mm soft lens for sale at Ffordes if anyone is interested. I was tempted but think I would rather get softening in Lightroom, but softening isn’t apparently like out of focus it just diffuses the light whilst retaining definition and works best with back lighting; Lee Filters do a range of square soft filters which is another option to get the diffuse effect.
https://www.pentaxuser.com/forum/topic/fs--pentax-smc-f-85mm-f2-8-soft-63053
...but the Ffordes one is significantly dearer
LennyBloke
Posted 20/01/2020 - 12:16 - Helpful Comment
Link
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



308 posts
7 years
Doncaster
For me it is the 50mm f1.7. On both the istd and K70 this seems to give the best results. Probably best on istd as can be a little too sharp on the K70.
Paul
Paul
K1000, Espio 140, ist, istD, K70, K3iii and numerous lenses, just don't tell my wife.