portrait lenses
Posted 28/07/2009 - 19:25
Link
50 1.4 and 100 mm macro IMHO (in terms of cost vs quality....)
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Posted 28/07/2009 - 19:28
Link
I like the 77 LTD. Outstanding lens.
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)
Posted 28/07/2009 - 19:35
Link
Depends on the type of portrait to a certain extent; I've got the FA43 Ltd which is great for upper body portraits (or couples / small groups) and the FA77 Ltd which is better for head & shoulders shots.
If money doesn't quite stretch to the Limiteds then Don's suggestion of the FA50 / D-FA100 would also give excellent results.
If money doesn't quite stretch to the Limiteds then Don's suggestion of the FA50 / D-FA100 would also give excellent results.
Joining the Q
Posted 28/07/2009 - 20:06
Link
At the more "cost effective" end (& assuming you don't mind manual focus),
I would recommend:
1/ Jupiter-9 85/2
2/ Pentax 55/1.8 (K, super tak or s-m-c tak)
R
I would recommend:
1/ Jupiter-9 85/2
2/ Pentax 55/1.8 (K, super tak or s-m-c tak)
R
Posted 29/07/2009 - 15:22
Link
Hi Brad i use a sigma 50-150mm f2.8constant for portraits it's quite expensive but a lovely lens
Posted 29/07/2009 - 16:13
Link
I think it would Steve.I would love one
Posted 29/07/2009 - 17:49
Link
Personally I stick clear of zooms as I only ever seem to use either end
and the primes are usually faster with better quality. I have the smc FA 31 / 1,8 AL Limited which is 48mm on a Pentax DSLR and will cover body
and head shots. Have a look at this
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/columns/sm-02-05-02.shtml
and the primes are usually faster with better quality. I have the smc FA 31 / 1,8 AL Limited which is 48mm on a Pentax DSLR and will cover body
and head shots. Have a look at this
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/columns/sm-02-05-02.shtml
Posted 29/07/2009 - 18:36
Link
pentaxian450 wrote:
I like the 77 LTD. Outstanding lens.
I have got the 50mm, but probably the 77mm would be better for my needs
I like the 77 LTD. Outstanding lens.
Posted 29/07/2009 - 18:37
Link
I have used my 35 f/2, 50 f/1.7, 77 limited, and 100mm macro for formal portraits. For street shots I use my 17-70 or 55-300 zoom.
One factor to consider is the relationship you want with the subject. Getting physically close gets a different reaction. Sometimes it's what you want, sometimes it isn't.
One factor to consider is the relationship you want with the subject. Getting physically close gets a different reaction. Sometimes it's what you want, sometimes it isn't.
Posted 29/07/2009 - 21:06
Link
Casperdog
I know what you mean, I do use zooms exclusively but on the sigma 100-300 I only ever use 300 so I wish I had bought a prime for that lens only. (obviously not for portrait work)
I know what you mean, I do use zooms exclusively but on the sigma 100-300 I only ever use 300 so I wish I had bought a prime for that lens only. (obviously not for portrait work)
Posted 29/07/2009 - 22:02
Link
If you like quite tight portraits, as I do, then the 77mm Ltd is superb. Some people reckon the 85mm 1:1.4 is better, but I haven't used the latter so I can't comment, except to say it is the opposite of discreet.
I also rather like using my old 50mm 1:1.2 wide open, and I've had some very reasonable results with the 75-150 zoom.
On a very strict budget I would buy an M 50mm 1:2.
G
I also rather like using my old 50mm 1:1.2 wide open, and I've had some very reasonable results with the 75-150 zoom.
On a very strict budget I would buy an M 50mm 1:2.
G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Posted 29/07/2009 - 22:59
Link
The 70mm f2.4 DA is a great lens, razor sharp wide open and tailored for the DSLRs.
Posted 30/07/2009 - 01:04
Link
I use my Sigma 17-70mm, using the 50-70mm for single portraits and the wider end for larger groups. Obviously don't get in to close with the 17mm end as their features will get nicely distorted
Personally I prefer zoom lenses as to the fixed primes as you have more control. Like I say though, that's my personal choice.
Paul
sanderscapes wrote:
Hi Brad i use a sigma 50-150mm f2.8constant for portraits it's quite expensive but a lovely lens
I agree, this lens is also idealHi Brad i use a sigma 50-150mm f2.8constant for portraits it's quite expensive but a lovely lens
SteveT wrote:
Would the DA 50-135 make a decent portrait lens do you think?
And again another great lens.Would the DA 50-135 make a decent portrait lens do you think?
Personally I prefer zoom lenses as to the fixed primes as you have more control. Like I say though, that's my personal choice.
Paul
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


108 posts
17 years