portfolios naive primer please

dougf8
Posted 07/07/2010 - 15:38 Link
OK I want two things please folks.
Very basic information on portfolios

What might be expected of a commercial photographer touting his wares?

What might be expected of a prospective student looking to get a place on a degree course?


Thanks
Lurking is shirking.!
Anvh
Posted 07/07/2010 - 20:58 Link
dougf8 wrote:
What might be expected of a prospective student looking to get a place on a degree course?
Actually went to an open day and asked that and I'm now waiting on the date I can come over to show my portfolio.

Well I didn't actually asked what they were expecting but what they wanted to see; the answer was quite short. They wanted to see variation in the type of photos so macro, landscapes, portrait, ect. I specifically asked if they wanted to see series, he said one or two small series might be nice but they rather see variation.

I was applying for a general study, you can also do specialisation and then surely there is no other way then show series.

Maybe not really what you asked but it might help.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
dougf8
Posted 07/07/2010 - 21:14 Link
Stefan thanks, its a start. I'd only be looking at general photography degrees. Not journalism for example.

To give you hope, I was accepted onto a degree course today. Without a portfolio and without my last year's academic work. A pretty stressful morning. Hence why I ask about a portfolio now.

The bad news is the course may not run for lack of students! So I might have to try other options in 12 months. And that's 12 months of practice.
Lurking is shirking.!
bwlchmawr
Posted 07/07/2010 - 21:18 Link
Congratulations on at least being accepted. What a wonderful thing to study! Beats stuffy old English Literature...

I do hope your course runs.
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference.  All of them can record what you are seeing.  But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
dougf8
Posted 07/07/2010 - 21:22 Link
Andrew cheers, I can't understand why it doesn't. Part time, fees sub £1000 per year. You can hold down a job and crawl towards a degree, whilst enjoying the subject.
Lurking is shirking.!
Anvh
Posted 07/07/2010 - 21:29 Link
Indeed congratulations, hopefully it runs.
What kind of study is it and how long does it run?

Here the lower grade entry is already full, so they actually start it 4 times a year if they can, that does sound a lot but they don't make classes bigger then 16 students.
The Higher grade doesn't run that super so I still have a shot on that, it's bachelor grade I believe.

Both studies take 4 years to complete, for the high grade it's once a week to school and with the lower grade 3 times.

Just saw your comment.
The price for the lower is hard to say since you can get help from the goverment to finance it and there are different prices and systems for it, to complicated.
the higher grade is easier, it cost € 3.692 per year.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Edited by Anvh: 07/07/2010 - 21:32
dougf8
Posted 07/07/2010 - 21:40 Link
They call it a foundation degree. Equivalent to 2 years on a full time degree. It can be done in either 3 or 4 years. (I'd like 3). Then at the end you can top up a single year full time to the BA (honours) degree.

It would be one evening a week and some weekends. The full time is 13 hours contact a week.

I'm waiting to see what changes the new government make to the education system. If there is an opportunity for a 2 year intensive degree as has been talked about then I'd be interested. They probably only want this for concrete stuff like economics or business studies.

At the moment the thought of giving up a job for 3 years and incurring £25k debt is just not possible. £3000 odd a year in fees and loss of income!

I feel a surge of money making photography required, hence the "commercial" portfolio to tout for a bit of work. As somebody said, you don't need a degree.
Lurking is shirking.!
Edited by dougf8: 07/07/2010 - 21:43
Anvh
Posted 07/07/2010 - 22:13 Link
Thank you Doug, lets hope the education systems change in your favour.

I don't have many debts are regular things I need to pay so it's still easy for me luckily

The higher degree here isn't confirm by the rules of the government for education.
You need to have certain subjects and it must be teach in a certain way I believe to be under it so the study cost are for you fully. They are trying to get their papers though but it might take another year.

Indeed you don't need a degree, photograph isn't a protect occupation so everyone can call themselves one.
For now for you it's good but if you've your paper it's not.

What do you plan to do with your photography commercially now, portrait, journalism?
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
dougf8
Posted 07/07/2010 - 22:26 Link
Stefan, commercial. Too many people do weddings. I don't have sharp enough elbows for journalism.
Lurking is shirking.!

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo