pop up flash

matthew

Link Posted 25/03/2010 - 09:53
Just a small question

is it possible to set the pop up flash from auto to manual on the K20D

if so please explain in detail as i'm away from my user manual

The reason I ask is I'm trying to use it as fill in flash on av but camera take's over and I'm getting a over exposed image

Matt

Gwyn

Link Posted 25/03/2010 - 09:58
Fn button, flash, use the back wheel to adjust the flash power.

hth

matthew

Link Posted 25/03/2010 - 10:12
thank you for the fast response gwyn

Matt

Gwyn

Link Posted 25/03/2010 - 10:21
You're welcome.

I once spent ages trying to work it out, thinking it must be in the menus . I didn't have my handbook handy then either .

MattMatic

Link Posted 25/03/2010 - 11:03
The flash power adjustment isn't manual control
The pop-up is always P-TTL, but as Gwyn rightly says you can control its input to the main exposure.
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)

Bob and his Pentax

Link Posted 25/03/2010 - 11:33
If you are at your computer then you are only ever one click away from your K20D user manual

Or drill down from the general link for Pentax camera manuals for other cameras.

Even though I have the manual I always download a PDF and save on computers (work desktop, home destop, note book PC) so that I'm never far from a manual
Good luck

Bob

Pentax user since 1978, Digital since 1997.
Kit includes: K-7, K20D, K10D, *istDS, full set DA* lens, etc

Anvh

Link Posted 25/03/2010 - 12:04
MattMatic wrote:
The flash power adjustment isn't manual control
The pop-up is always P-TTL, but as Gwyn rightly says you can control its input to the main exposure.

Do you know if it then compensate with the normal exposure, or do you need it to set to trailing curtain then?
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

MattMatic

Link Posted 25/03/2010 - 12:20
Stefan: it seems to work like this...

The main Ev control affects the overall exposure (including flash).
Then the flash Ev control adjusts the flash relative to that base exposure.

So, with the flash mode set to "Slow", setting camera -1Ev and flash +1Ev should give you reduced ambient lighting with dominant flash (with flash effectively being the "correct" exposure since -1Ev + +1Ev = 0Ev).

When you select "Slow trailing curtain sync" that just affects when the flash fires (compared to just "Slow") rather than any metering.

Matt
Last Edited by MattMatic on 25/03/2010 - 12:21

matthew

Link Posted 25/03/2010 - 12:27
thank you the flash was set at +1.5 far to bright for a fill in flash

Stefan it's seam's that when in AV the camera dose not compensate because with out the flash there was a lot of deep shadow and correct exposure but with the fill in flash the image was over exposed.

Matt

MattMatic

Link Posted 25/03/2010 - 12:40
@Matt - if you had +1.5 in your flash Ev then that's why the fill in flash was over exposed

You should get a correct exposure in Av mode without flash. Yes, the shadows may be deep. Adding flash (at +0.0Ev) should produce a 'correct' image.

Also watch that the flash isn't too close to the subject (for the given ISO setting). There are minimum, as well as maximum, distances to be respected with flash

Matt
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.