Pond

RobL

Link Posted 05/08/2018 - 15:35
I decided to experiment with the tilt function of the 24mm TS Samyang lens, aiming to get front to back sharpness at f8.0. This involves a bit a fiddling between the manual focus and the degree of shift and whilst the lens was pointing downwards it is surprising how little tilt is needed to move the focal plane to the horizontal surface. The depth of field shifts from the vertical plane to the horizontal plane so adjusting the aperture affects how far away from that plane vertically things stay sharp and it makes little difference whether they are nearby or at a distance.

The same shot with a polariser needed a four stop reduction in speed, although I think I prefer the previous one with reflections. And the sharp-eyed amongst you will see that the rectangular pot on the right has suddenly sprouted plants!

and a couple with the 70-200mm f2.8

derek897

Link Posted 05/08/2018 - 16:18
That is a pretty neat experiment
It has worked really well, is it this type of lens that can also give the toy model type effect ?
Neat bit of kit to have 👏👏👏👏
I know what i like, If not always why.

RobL

Link Posted 05/08/2018 - 16:58
derek897 wrote:
That is a pretty neat experiment
It has worked really well, is it this type of lens that can also give the toy model type effect ?
Neat bit of kit to have 👏👏👏👏

Yes, the “toy” effect doesn’t appeal to me much but there is plenty of scope for experimentation. AP this week has a TS photo of a station with the centrally placed rails sharp all the way but the platforms either side are soft, I haven’t worked that out yet!

McGregNi

Link Posted 10/08/2018 - 11:09
RobL wrote:
….And the sharp-eyed amongst you will see that the rectangular pot on the right has suddenly sprouted plants!

Ah, yes I see …. (I had always wondered what a TS lens actually did, thanks now I know )

Good to see the Samyang 24mm TS being experimented with, and I particularly like your close up of the lily, very nice!
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 10/08/2018 - 11:10
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.