Polariser and wide-angle lens

CMW

Link Posted 24/02/2012 - 16:02
This is not a problem as such, more a wish to avoid buying something that I can't use quite as I'd hoped.

Does anyone have experience of using a Lee filter holder (or similar) with filter and a 105mm rotating circular polariser on a DA15 ltd. Can it be done without vignetting? I understand the need to get a wide-angle adapter to screw on to the lens; but is that enough .... or will 15mm be just a bit too wide? Be v glad to hear from anyone who can offer me advice on this.
Regards, Christopher

ChristopherWheelerPhotography

johnriley

Link Posted 24/02/2012 - 16:09
Polarisers on wide angle lenses tend not to work too well. Such a large expanse of sky is taken in that the degree of polarisation varies across the frame. This leads to bands of different shade.

I have always found that the slight natural vignetting of ultra-wides is enough, maybe combined with a small amount of under-exposure and maybe some post processing in Photoshop where needed.
Best regards, John

K10D

Link Posted 24/02/2012 - 16:14
What would be the problem with a thin frame B&W polariser? The in built hood on the 15mm may not sit back far enough to allow the wider adapter flange for a Lee or Cokin type to fit properly.

If it does fit, then so would a 49 > 77mm step up.

Best regards

CMW

Link Posted 24/02/2012 - 17:03
Thanks both. Yes, I must agree that polarisers can be problematic on a wide-angle unless care is taken with where they're pointed! A thin-frame polariser would (or should) work, but then I wouldn't be able to use ND filters in front of it. Or so I believe. I seem to recall reading somewhere that the polariser had to go in front of them.

It is beginning to look as though I can have a polariser or a filter - my impression is that the built-in hood wouldn't impede an adapter, or step-up rings come to that - but not both.
Regards, Christopher

phb

Link Posted 09/03/2012 - 17:44
I talked to Lee at Focus this week about vignetting on the 12-24mm pentax lens and DA15mm when using a polariser.I have been using a slim CP on the lens then the Lee holder and have been considering investing in the Lee CP.
We did a test with the 12-24 and the Lee holder with Lee circular polariser. Even with a only a one slot holder there was vignetting caused by the Lee polariser from 12mm to about 14mm.
They concluded that it was not cost effective to use the Lee CP but probably to continue using a slim screw-in CP on the lens then a one slot holder for grads etc.
Regarding the 15mm lens, the Lee adaptor does not fit directly onto the lens because of the retracted hood. I use one filter , either UV or CPL then the adaptor can be attached.My step up ring cannot screw directly onto the lens. Be aware some polarisers do not fit under the hood as the knurled polarising ring seems to catch. I have an old Hoya CPL which has a smoother ring and works ok.
In summary , key advice from Lee- get the holder as close to the lens as possible and use one slot on their holder.
hope that helps
Paul

CMW

Link Posted 10/03/2012 - 09:36
Thanks Paul. Like you, I have an uv filter on the end of my lens. I'd almost forgotten it was there -- hence my belief that the Lee adapter would fit on the da15 without trouble. Of course it won't, without those extra few mm added by a filter. Two of my favourite lenses create 'Lee problems' (if no others) with their built in, undetachable hoods -- the other, an fa 31, with unretractable hood, is even more of a problem than the da15: no chance of getting a Lee filter remotely close to its end glass. Thanks for passing on what you learnt from the Lee people and for the tips about a cpl -- along with the warning about the fit of some of them. As always, caveat emptor!

Chris
Regards, Christopher

jules

Link Posted 10/03/2012 - 12:02
These guys are very good too but I'm not sure they have what you need but if there was a Market would maybe be more likely to make what you require?
A nice push on that fits over the hood on a DA15 etc would be nice...
http://www.formatt.co.uk/stills-filters/products.aspx
Cheers Jules...

My viewfinder is 576,000,000 pixels.

www.exaggeratedperspectives.com

phb

Link Posted 10/03/2012 - 16:22
Chris,
I use the Lee system with the 31mm successfully. I can't remember which forum I saw this on. I use a UV and a spacer ring and CPL then add the Lee wide angle adaptor. This works fine even with 2 slots, no vignetting.
SRB can supply the spacer rings to specific lengths or use empty filter rings.
Just to add , I wanted to try the lee RF75 filter holder on the DA15mm but Lee didn't have the 49mm adaptor at Focus. That looks a very neat system particularly for smaller lenses but it is expensive particularly if it doesn't solve the problem.

Paul

CMW

Link Posted 10/03/2012 - 23:59
Thanks Jules
jules wrote:

It would indeed.

And Paul -- thanks for reassurance about the fa 31

Chris
Regards, Christopher

Dodge69

Link Posted 11/03/2012 - 12:48
I considered the DA15, but was worried about that hood and the application of filters. I've read the cokin adaptor is visible in edges of shots when on the DA15?
Pentax pour des images riches en détails!

jules

Link Posted 14/03/2012 - 07:49
CMW wrote:
Thanks Jules
jules wrote:

It would indeed.

And Paul -- thanks for reassurance about the fa 31

Chris

http://www.formatt.co.uk/stills-filters/hitech-165mm-hardware/products.aspx
Cheers Jules...

My viewfinder is 576,000,000 pixels.

www.exaggeratedperspectives.com
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.