Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Please look away now ( if you hate HDR )

Mike-P
Posted 30/09/2010 - 20:30 Link
Sold my Pentax DA 12-24mm f4 the other day as I rarely used it and picked up a cheaper Sigma 12-24mm f4.5/5.6. So decided to test the Sigma out today at Highcliffe castle .. and had a HDR fest.

All taken on the K10D with -1/0/+1 exposures processed in Photomatix Lite

Have gone a bit stronger than I normally would.

Comment Image

Highcliffe Castle - HDR by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr
Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Gwyn
Posted 30/09/2010 - 20:33 Link
I like them - except for the virulent green grass .

It looks like they've applied grass paint to it.

For that reason the last is my favourite.
womble
Posted 30/09/2010 - 20:34 Link
Funnily enough the HDR isn't so extreme that it bothers me particularly but the converging verticals do. I can see with some of them you have deliberately gone for extreme convergence, but some could have been shot straight? Couldn't they? Or am I just being an old fusspot...?

Cheers, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
puma
Posted 30/09/2010 - 20:36 Link
I have tried HDR with my K7 and KX but iam not shore if I like em or HDR mode but! I don’t mean I don’t like your photos, I do I mean just im not shore about HDR
PPG link
Mike-P
Posted 30/09/2010 - 20:38 Link
Gwyn wrote:
I like them - except for the virulent green grass .

It looks like they've applied grass paint to it.

For that reason the last is my favourite.

I toned the grass down loads as well, you should have seen it before hand

womble wrote:
Funnily enough the HDR isn't so extreme that it bothers me particularly but the converging verticals do. I can see with some of them you have deliberately gone for extreme convergence, but some could have been shot straight? Couldn't they? Or am I just being an old fusspot...?

You are just being an old fusspot

Yes they could have been shot straight but I had an "artistic" moment
Gwyn
Posted 30/09/2010 - 20:44 Link
Mike-P wrote:

Yes they could have been shot straight but I had an "artistic" moment

That's his excuse and he's sticking to it .
CoDa
Posted 30/09/2010 - 20:49 Link
Not over the top HDR wise, except for the grass, your "artistic" moment is OK by me.
Colin

“Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little.”
Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)

Comment Image
matwhittington
Posted 30/09/2010 - 20:57 Link
I think they are rather good - I like them in any event and they are not as 'HDR' as many which you can see on the web. I especially like the last one of the set and the fourth. I rather fear I may have to have a go at the HDR lark myself...

Regards
Mat W

My Flickr: link
Oggy
Posted 30/09/2010 - 21:38 Link
To me you seem to have captured an unreal or even slightly macabre* atmosphere. Very good.

(*a George L approved word I think.)
Snootchies
Posted 30/09/2010 - 22:01 Link
4 and 6 for me Mike. I really like the composition of 4, but the moody and foreboding effect of 6 is excellent. Great stuff.
Bob

My website (Hadfield Photography)

Pentax Gallery Artist page:link

Flickr Photostream: link
Greytop
Posted 30/09/2010 - 22:02 Link
Numbers 1, 3 and 6 for me Mike, nice work, not too overdone and with a decent amount of contrast which some more conservative HDRs can tend to lack.
Regards Huw

flickr
aminstar
Posted 30/09/2010 - 22:15 Link
Mike, as I know you are not a big fan of heavy HDR processing I can tell you that these images are pretty good. And against all the flow I must say the green grass is the most appealing part for me visually.
You should do more HDR as you seem to have a very keen artistic inclination to bring the beauty out of structures like these .

Is that the new K10 you are trying?
Edited by aminstar: 30/09/2010 - 22:15
TonyM
Posted 30/09/2010 - 22:52 Link
HDR is nice, and I usually hate it. But I'm definitely with Kris in the fusspot camp. Your artistic moment I'm afraid detracts for me! As for the grass - I'm on the fence

Tony
ChrisA
Posted 30/09/2010 - 22:58 Link
Mike-P wrote:
womble wrote:

You are just being an old fusspot

Ooh, can I be an old fusspot too?

The CVs bug me too. I can get over the excessive HDR once I tune into the look, and the green (hey, I was a Konica film fan years ago!!)...

But I'm with Orinoco on the verticals.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
Mike-P
Posted 30/09/2010 - 23:01 Link
Hmmm, it just seem to me that you are trying to stifle my artistic creativity.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.