Playing on a Sunny midday.

Posted 03/07/2025 - 15:46 Link
Using filters and playing in PP, RawTherapee then Gimp then using ART ( "Another RT" was a description I heard)
Any CC's accepted....

1.
Comment Image


2.
Comment Image


3.
Comment Image
SSF1957
Posted 05/07/2025 - 13:12 Link
Nice set, which I really like.

You have asked for CC, hopefully my scarring by Photo Club judges does not come through too much here

Image 1, the pillars could do with a little bit of a lift , a touch too dark for my taste other than that very much the shot I would have wanted to take.

Image 2, is my favourite. The sweep of the rocks in the foreground round to the headland in the distance allow you to travel comfortably around the image. Only comment on improvement would be to crop off the bottom 10 to 15% (where the foreground rock lack the sharpness of the rest of the image)

Image 3, As image 1 the pillars could do with a little bit of a lift, and like image 2 the immediate foreground is not as sharp as the rest of the image so maybe a slight crop. To my eye (which is probably not the best by some distance!) image 3 is a series of horizontal zones which do not marry together / flow as well as the first two images.

The main lesson from this is probably not to listen to / take to heart what club judges say! (apologies to any members who are judges )
Stephen

645Z, K1, K1ii, K3iii + mono, K3ii, K3,KP, K-S1, K200D,K10D, K-r, Ist* DL, Ist* D, QS-1 plus too many film bodies !
Flickr Page
Photocrowd Page
Lubbyman
Posted 05/07/2025 - 15:46 Link
Nice set of pics. Keep wandering, keep pressing the shutter button, keep posting!

An interesting set of comments, too. At first glance I too thought the posts in 1 and 3 were too dark. Then I clicked on the images and the posts seemed to be a bit lighter, possibly because more detail is being shown. So now I'm not sure about whether they are too dark! And in image 3, I'd crop just below the posts to remove the foreground rocks completely. The posts then seem to lead the eye towards the distant island. Sometimes less is more .

Steve
Posted 05/07/2025 - 18:31 Link
SSF1957 - Stephen, yes I agree entirely with your CC's, I knew the wooden posts were a bit too dark, I am pretty sure I lifted them a bit from the shadows (perhaps in RT). I was playing but as usual in a rush as my time is limited on the PC (that's my excuse anyway), there is a new to me tool in ART which is a Mask Brush, so simple to use compared to RT. This was used but in "Texture Boost/Sharpening" for some reason - probably playing ?? however it will be ideal for local editing to lift more of the shadows. IIRC the shadow lifting in RT was getting too noticeable so I backed off.
So thank you for your comments, as it will surely be of help to not only myself.
Thanks to Lubbyman too, I agree the 3rd shot looks better cropped.
Perhaps the lack of sharpness wasn't helped (pics at f13 and f16 should have been suffice) with the two ND filters used together (sunny day) - a 10 stopper (glass) and a 4 stopper (Resin)

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo