Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Plastic Wrap

Ratcatcher
Posted 05/07/2012 - 10:55 Link
Thought I would try something different

Comment Image
snappychappy
Posted 05/07/2012 - 11:03 Link
I like it, almost like a painting on canvas.
walkeja
Posted 05/07/2012 - 11:13 Link
That's when it ceases to be "photography"!
Pentax K1-ii and MZ6
Pentax Lenses 28-80 F, 300 DA*, 80-200 F, 35 F2.4 AL, M50 F1.7, 28-105 DFA, 20 F4 SMC
ONE UNITED Member
Ratcatcher
Posted 05/07/2012 - 11:17 Link
Quote:

I know but its just a bit of fun
greynolds999
Posted 05/07/2012 - 11:26 Link
I disagree. Unless you are a forensic photographer photographing a crime scene then everything is allowable and acceptable. However gaudy!
DOIK
Posted 05/07/2012 - 11:32 Link
No need to make excuses for me, I think it works very well.

John
bforbes
Posted 05/07/2012 - 12:57 Link
I agree, it does work. How was it done?
fritzthedog
Posted 05/07/2012 - 13:14 Link
Now that I know there may be a market for it - would anybody like to buy my old Sigma 28mm prime that achieves exactly the same effect without any props?

Something to do with a glue problem with 2 elements I think - but works perfectly - if the above image is perfect

All reasonable offers considered for this unique 'art lens"

...my god, I am probably sitting on a fortune - all those aluminum cases in the loft full of old K lenses with "unique properties" - fungus, dead spore trails, water damage, internal dust particles that appear the size of meteors in images - I see a new online retail empire emerging "Fritzthedogs Unique Art Lenses"

Thanks Richard!

Sorry - couldn't resist - and for the record - I like it too.

Reminds me of the days when we used to experiment on film cameras by shooting through things like the coloured see through crinkly wrappers off quality street chocolates and let's not pretend that I was the only one who did things like that - please - guys - somebody back me up - it wasn't just me was it? Nurse!!

regards
Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more
aliengrove
Posted 07/07/2012 - 14:36 Link
I really like it, nice and bright and a very interesting texture, like acrylic paint. It would look great on canvas.
davidstorm
Posted 07/07/2012 - 17:35 Link
I like it too, the only negative is that I think it makes the sand look a little like mud, but it's a great effect and I agree that it would be at its best on a wall canvas.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
annieogg
Posted 07/07/2012 - 19:28 Link
I like it too my only comment is tha I think the background at the top and middle is over textured. If that part was toned down the people would stand out a bit more,perhaps by using a mask. Interesting effect all the same.
All roads roam to Leeds
linklink

Pentax K-5 18-55mm Tamron 70-300mm
Pentax 35mm
a few filters Manfrotto tripod and monopod Silk tripod and a bumbling approach on how to use them
Don
Posted 07/07/2012 - 19:35 Link
truthfully, I find this filter useful, but not particularly pleasing in the way it is used here.
the plastic wrap filter does wonders when applied to parts of an image... for example when applied to text or objects you want to make to look like they are wet... it is also great for applying burned texture to skin when making monster or zombie effects... but to throw over an entire image, just doesn't do anything for me.. had you applied it to an area of sand to creat a quicksand/mud effect, yes... but this one, sorry... doesn't add anything to the story, does nothing to make the photo more interesting.
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
amoringello
Posted 07/07/2012 - 19:40 Link
Quote:

Exactly! And isn't that the best part... when you can go beyond the basic tools and create something new different?

I do not like the look, but it is fun to play with and is a great way to find something that does work.

How many people hate bleach bypass, or high contrast, HDR, or other effects?
How about grunge? Without that, most of the portrait industry would be dead (like it or not).
Who knows, the next photographic fad might be to plastic wrap the hottest models in Hollywood. OK, maybe not.

But potentially it could be used with some other effects to create something more pleasing and sellable.
tyronet2000
Posted 08/07/2012 - 15:21 Link
fritzthedog wrote:

Reminds me of the days when we used to experiment on film cameras by shooting through things like the coloured see through crinkly wrappers off quality street chocolates and let's not pretend that I was the only one who did things like that - please - guys - somebody back me up - it wasn't just me was it? Nurse!!

regards
Carl

I still try things like that. I missed out on the film era but hey Digital is so much cheaper once you have a camera and lenses

I liked the effect too.
Regards
Stan

PPG
Ratcatcher
Posted 09/07/2012 - 10:16 Link
I understand its not everyones cup of tea.
As I said a bit of fun.
Thanks for comments

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.