Pinhole Photography

bforbes
Posted 10/11/2015 - 11:36 Link
I fancied a try at pinhole photography, so the easiest way for me was a Holga pinhole lens on a digital camera (Pentax K-01).
My problem is, I'm that used to assessing images based on sharpness, I can't evaluate if these pinhole images are any good. Any help would be appreciated.

Comment Image


Comment Image


Comment Image
JAK
Posted 10/11/2015 - 14:06 Link
I think they're about par for the course.
I played with a home made pinhole lens on an ESII with Kodachrome slide film back in 1977 to see what would happen. This is what I achieved.

Comment Image


and with a normal lens (long forgotten which one):

Comment Image
John K
vic cross
Posted 10/11/2015 - 19:46 Link
I can't comment eon the quality of the pinhole photos as I have no experience of them "BUT" they can't be that good as I can't see the "WORM"
Actually I wouldn't mind having a go at that myself so good for you for trying it.
CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.
johnriley
Posted 10/11/2015 - 20:10 Link
Comment Image

Pentax Q System 07 Body Mount lens
Best regards, John
JAK
Posted 10/11/2015 - 22:46 Link
There's some monkey business going on with that one John !
John K
bforbes
Posted 13/11/2015 - 11:34 Link
Thanks John K for the comparison. I think I may try something with a bit more landscape content for my next effort.

Vic, the worm comes out on a hill down by the Wear at Fatfield. This one is too far for him to slither!!!

That Q 07 lens seems to be something of a halfway house JR. Have you used it for any landscape work, or is it not suitable?
johnriley
Posted 13/11/2015 - 12:07 Link
The Q 07 lens would make very blurred landscapes as it only focuses up to about 6 feet. It's interesting to experiment with.
Best regards, John
petrochemist
Posted 13/11/2015 - 16:24 Link
Pinhole images are always somewhat soft. The issue is less significant as you go to larger film formats. Your results are about typical for APSC.
Their big advantage is the near infinite DOF, so fopr best effect you need to make use of that & have part of the view very much closer to the camera
Mike
.
Pentax:K5ii, K7, K100D, DA18-55, DA10-17, DA55-300, DA50-200, F100-300, F50, DA35 AL, 4* M50, 2* M135, Helicoid extension, Tak 300 f4 (& 6 film bodies)
3rd Party: Bigmos (Sigma 150-500mm OS HSM),2* 28mm, 100mm macro, 28-200 zoom, 35-80 zoom, 80-200 zoom, 80-210 zoom, 300mm M42, 600 mirror, 1000-4000 scope, 50mm M42, enlarger lenses, Sony & micro 4/3 cameras with various PK mounts, Zenit E...
Far to many tele-converters, adapters, project parts & extension tubes etc.

.[size=11:].Flickr• WPF• Panoramio
petrochemist
Posted 13/11/2015 - 16:48 Link
johnriley wrote:
Pentax Q System 07 Body Mount lens
John that's not a pinhole lens at all. It's a single element fixed aperture lens. 11.5mm F/9.

A pinhole has NO lens, and will typically be F/128 and can be significantly smaller
IIRC optimum aperture depends on wavelength & the distance from the sensor & changing the distance from the hole to the sensor adjusts the angle of view produced, but doen't affect focus. Very different charcteristics.
Mike
.
Pentax:K5ii, K7, K100D, DA18-55, DA10-17, DA55-300, DA50-200, F100-300, F50, DA35 AL, 4* M50, 2* M135, Helicoid extension, Tak 300 f4 (& 6 film bodies)
3rd Party: Bigmos (Sigma 150-500mm OS HSM),2* 28mm, 100mm macro, 28-200 zoom, 35-80 zoom, 80-200 zoom, 80-210 zoom, 300mm M42, 600 mirror, 1000-4000 scope, 50mm M42, enlarger lenses, Sony & micro 4/3 cameras with various PK mounts, Zenit E...
Far to many tele-converters, adapters, project parts & extension tubes etc.

.[size=11:].Flickr• WPF• Panoramio
johnriley
Posted 13/11/2015 - 16:49 Link
True Mike, but something approaching the same concept in many ways, which is why I mentioned it.
Best regards, John
JAK
Posted 13/11/2015 - 23:24 Link
petrochemist wrote:
Pinhole images are always somewhat soft. The issue is less significant as you go to larger film formats. Your results are about typical for APSC.
Their big advantage is the near infinite DOF, so fopr best effect you need to make use of that & have part of the view very much closer to the camera
Just for the record, Barrie's images were APSC (from a K-01) ; mine was on 'full frame' (36x24) 35mm transparency film. The definition on both seems to be much the same. As John's Q image was through a lens (albeit a very basic one) rather than a pinhole one would expect it to appear somewhat sharper providing it is in the focus range as John pointed out. There is no focussing required with an actual pinhole lens, but moving it it nearer or further away from the film/sensor plane changes it's field of view (or in other words, its focal length.)
John K
Edited by JAK: 13/11/2015 - 23:24
petrochemist
Posted 14/11/2015 - 08:44 Link
JAK wrote:


Just for the record, Barrie's images were APSC (from a K-01) ; mine was on 'full frame' (36x24) 35mm transparency film. The definition on both seems to be much the same.
There's not much difference in size between the two, despite all the fuss made about full frame. The apparent definition does improve as you go to 5x4, 10x8 etc. Pinhole film cameras with the long exposure times are ideal DIY projects where a true large format camera can be put together for next to nothing.
Mike
.
Pentax:K5ii, K7, K100D, DA18-55, DA10-17, DA55-300, DA50-200, F100-300, F50, DA35 AL, 4* M50, 2* M135, Helicoid extension, Tak 300 f4 (& 6 film bodies)
3rd Party: Bigmos (Sigma 150-500mm OS HSM),2* 28mm, 100mm macro, 28-200 zoom, 35-80 zoom, 80-200 zoom, 80-210 zoom, 300mm M42, 600 mirror, 1000-4000 scope, 50mm M42, enlarger lenses, Sony & micro 4/3 cameras with various PK mounts, Zenit E...
Far to many tele-converters, adapters, project parts & extension tubes etc.

.[size=11:].Flickr• WPF• Panoramio
bwlchmawr
Posted 14/11/2015 - 14:06 Link
I really like them. That's the whole point: soft, blurry, dream-like images with lots of atmosphere. I'd be happy with them.
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference.  All of them can record what you are seeing.  But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
tyronet2000
Posted 14/11/2015 - 17:10 Link
Watched a presentation of pinhole photography by Steve Gosling. Some enjoyable images and I almost bought a pinhole kit to try out. IIRC the hole of the camera he was using was something in the range of f/137
Regards
Stan

PPG
Edited by tyronet2000: 14/11/2015 - 17:11
JAK
Posted 14/11/2015 - 17:33 Link
I'm not sure you need to buy any kit. I didn't. A short extension tube with some silver foil over the end with a small pin hole in it and voila.

There's a similar example How To on WikiHow here using an old lens cap.
John K
Edited by JAK: 14/11/2015 - 17:38

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo