Photoshop plug in for IST DS
Posted 29/03/2005 - 09:52
Link
Not entirely sure if the *ist-D and *ist-DS maintain the same RAW format, but there's a freebie plugin for PS from Pentax:
http://www.pentaximaging.com/customer_care/show_software?softId=1
Personally, I use Capture One LE. I also have Photoshop CS that handles RAW files, but Capture One blows CS out of the water, especially for tricky shots with wide dynamic range.
There's also the Pixmantec free RAW convertor: www.pixmantec.com
It's pretty excellent, given the price (Doesn't have hot pixel removal like C1, and I prefer C1).
I'd always go for a third party convertor, every time
The manufacturer's convertor is always a "reference", and you never get the best out of the RAW format. Shame
Hope that helps,
Matt
http://www.pentaximaging.com/customer_care/show_software?softId=1
Personally, I use Capture One LE. I also have Photoshop CS that handles RAW files, but Capture One blows CS out of the water, especially for tricky shots with wide dynamic range.
There's also the Pixmantec free RAW convertor: www.pixmantec.com
It's pretty excellent, given the price (Doesn't have hot pixel removal like C1, and I prefer C1).
I'd always go for a third party convertor, every time
The manufacturer's convertor is always a "reference", and you never get the best out of the RAW format. Shame
Hope that helps,
Matt
Posted 30/03/2005 - 12:38
Link
I must support Matt on this one I purchased Capture One LE on his advise in a previous post and find it far superier to the CS plug in so many ways. You can view the images without conversion, view two images side by side and instantly see them in monochrome. In fact the monochrome view is so good that I wish there was a way to save the converted file in monochrome.
I dont know what extras you get in the full version for £399.00 but the LE version gives me everything I can imagine I need.
David
I dont know what extras you get in the full version for £399.00 but the LE version gives me everything I can imagine I need.
David
Posted 30/03/2005 - 14:30
Link
David,
Phew! Glad you've got some good results.
There is a way to put C1 into mono only mode
Here's the link:
http://www.outbackphoto.com/artofraw/raw_08/essay.html
(If you are using Windows, copy the .icm file to c:windowssystem32spooldriverscolor - that's where the ICC profiles are picked up from )
It might sound complex, but the results are stunning. Here's a link the first image I did in B&W: http://www.ephotozine.com/gallery/showlargepic.cfm?photoid=235568
Enjoy!
Matt
Phew! Glad you've got some good results.
There is a way to put C1 into mono only mode
Here's the link:
http://www.outbackphoto.com/artofraw/raw_08/essay.html
(If you are using Windows, copy the .icm file to c:windowssystem32spooldriverscolor - that's where the ICC profiles are picked up from )
It might sound complex, but the results are stunning. Here's a link the first image I did in B&W: http://www.ephotozine.com/gallery/showlargepic.cfm?photoid=235568
Enjoy!
Matt
Posted 31/03/2005 - 09:13
Link
Matt
Thanks for the link Matt I set it up last night and it works a treat and is very easy to switch from colour to monochrome.
Is the hot pixel removal you mention a recent add on or have not found it. Also can you add to the meta data in CS.
Thanks again .
David
Thanks for the link Matt I set it up last night and it works a treat and is very easy to switch from colour to monochrome.
Is the hot pixel removal you mention a recent add on or have not found it. Also can you add to the meta data in CS.
Thanks again .
David
Posted 31/03/2005 - 09:46
Link
David,
The hot pixel removal is an integral part of C1LE. It just works
Sometimes when there's a huge contrast difference (say a very black background with a bright green pixel) you have a grey pixel left over - but it's soooo much less intrusive than a green one
I recently took some theatre photos and processed them blindingly quickly in C1 and ended up publishing them without any PS adjustments at all. My CCD has a couple of hot pixels that caused me trouble in the past having to edit them in PS. The results from C1 were stunning.
Matt
The hot pixel removal is an integral part of C1LE. It just works
Sometimes when there's a huge contrast difference (say a very black background with a bright green pixel) you have a grey pixel left over - but it's soooo much less intrusive than a green one
I recently took some theatre photos and processed them blindingly quickly in C1 and ended up publishing them without any PS adjustments at all. My CCD has a couple of hot pixels that caused me trouble in the past having to edit them in PS. The results from C1 were stunning.
Matt
Posted 31/03/2005 - 10:14
Link
Hi,
Matt and Bavid, I think ( ) that the answer is yes, but could you confirm that C1 works happily with *ist DS RAW Files. I'd find it odd if Pentax's RAW format differed between these models, .... but then again .... !?
I'm trying to source C1 and found it in Warehouse Express:
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/index.cfm?http://www.warehouseexpress.com/arouse/c1.html (all one URL)
Their C1 Supported Cameras list, for both Pro and LE, has the D but doesn't include the DS. I suspect this might just be out-of-date information but Phase One's web page at: http://www.phaseone.com/Content/Software/Camera/Camera%20support.aspx only lists the D too.
Regards, Colin
Matt and Bavid, I think ( ) that the answer is yes, but could you confirm that C1 works happily with *ist DS RAW Files. I'd find it odd if Pentax's RAW format differed between these models, .... but then again .... !?
I'm trying to source C1 and found it in Warehouse Express:
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/index.cfm?http://www.warehouseexpress.com/arouse/c1.html (all one URL)
Their C1 Supported Cameras list, for both Pro and LE, has the D but doesn't include the DS. I suspect this might just be out-of-date information but Phase One's web page at: http://www.phaseone.com/Content/Software/Camera/Camera%20support.aspx only lists the D too.
Regards, Colin
Posted 31/03/2005 - 10:28
Link
Colin,
There is a bug list on the Phase One forums... 3.6 isn't perfect. And I can't remember whether the *ist-DS was on the list. Definitely one thing was on their "to-do" - that's Adobe DNG (Digital Negative) format. For me the current version is perfectly usable, even with its oddities, and I think they've promised the fixes soon....
(updated) - just checked the forums. They say May is the release date for 3.7. The forums also have a few people requesting *ist-DS support, so maybe Pentax did change the format.
If someone wants to email me an *ist-DS RAW file, I'll check it out on everything I have
Matt
There is a bug list on the Phase One forums... 3.6 isn't perfect. And I can't remember whether the *ist-DS was on the list. Definitely one thing was on their "to-do" - that's Adobe DNG (Digital Negative) format. For me the current version is perfectly usable, even with its oddities, and I think they've promised the fixes soon....
(updated) - just checked the forums. They say May is the release date for 3.7. The forums also have a few people requesting *ist-DS support, so maybe Pentax did change the format.
If someone wants to email me an *ist-DS RAW file, I'll check it out on everything I have
Matt
Posted 31/03/2005 - 13:08
Link
I only have a *istD but I’m fairly sure that it was reported on DPReview that the RAW formats are different. I think the DS files are compressed to about 6~7MB. Surprisingly the new Adobe Camera RAW 2.4 only lists the D and not the DS
Pixmantec’s RawShooter lists both in the system requirements PDF and its free.
Pixmantec’s RawShooter lists both in the system requirements PDF and its free.
Posted 31/03/2005 - 14:46
Link
Ah! They would have Huffman encoded the data then About time!
Wonder when they'll release that format onto the *ist-D... and when the other RAW people will catch up. I'd appreciate getting more RAW on a card than I do (have 2Gb + 1Gb cards and they're only just big enough!).
Still, the offer's there... I'd appreciate an *ist-DS RAW file if anybody has one handy! Please???
Matt
Wonder when they'll release that format onto the *ist-D... and when the other RAW people will catch up. I'd appreciate getting more RAW on a card than I do (have 2Gb + 1Gb cards and they're only just big enough!).
Still, the offer's there... I'd appreciate an *ist-DS RAW file if anybody has one handy! Please???
Matt
Posted 07/04/2005 - 15:55
Link
Ken, Adobe has their own RAW coverter and can be downloaded from http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=2701
This is for Photoshop CS. I hope it helps. Current version is 2.4, the *istD compatibility was added in 2.1 . I have an istDS and this converter works fine for me. I have also tried the converter available free from www.pixmantec.com .
This is for Photoshop CS. I hope it helps. Current version is 2.4, the *istD compatibility was added in 2.1 . I have an istDS and this converter works fine for me. I have also tried the converter available free from www.pixmantec.com .
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


6 posts
21 years
Bedfordshire
The plugin for IST D just gives an error message.
I've looked at all the Pentax sites without success
If there is not yet one available, anybody know when there will be one?
Ken