Photoshop CS5 Users warning
Posted 15/05/2012 - 07:49
Link
Thanks for the info and link. I was not aware of this issue.
Fletcher8.
Posted 15/05/2012 - 20:14
Link
I wonder what does happen if you open a boobytrapped .tif file and how would one recognise one?
John
John
John K
Posted 15/05/2012 - 22:09
Link
It makes me wonder where we would pick up such a file and try to open it in CS5. Our own images won't be a problem and I never receive any TIFFs that I would want to open.
Best regards, John
Posted 16/05/2012 - 01:50
Link
johnriley wrote:
It makes me wonder where we would pick up such a file and try to open it in CS5. Our own images won't be a problem and I never receive any TIFFs that I would want to open.
Some people like to download other user's posted images and show off their PS skills by posting "here's what I did with you photo". Booby trapping a badly PS'ed image might be a good way to discourage some show offs from messing with your images without asking - if you were so inclined.
It makes me wonder where we would pick up such a file and try to open it in CS5. Our own images won't be a problem and I never receive any TIFFs that I would want to open.
Posted 16/05/2012 - 07:36
Link
Surefly though if they were posted they would be JPEGs or GIFs? We don't post TIFFs to the web.
Best regards, John
Posted 16/05/2012 - 08:02
Link
We send and receive lots of tiff's at work via the drawing office. Any old drawing that predates the CAD systems are scanned as tiff's and embedded into an autocad dwg as a separate layer. Very often these drawings will be updated by other engineering teams outside of our company.
The CS Suite is installed on all the drawing office machines so I appreciate the 'heads up'.
I realise this different to how many people may use Photoshop but there are several valid reasons to why you may receive a tiff from a 3rd party as Adobe CS suite isn't just aimed at photographers.
The CS Suite is installed on all the drawing office machines so I appreciate the 'heads up'.
I realise this different to how many people may use Photoshop but there are several valid reasons to why you may receive a tiff from a 3rd party as Adobe CS suite isn't just aimed at photographers.
Posted 16/05/2012 - 08:08
Link
Surely the AV software should pick up the Tiff's even if it
can't detect the damage done after it's been run?
can't detect the damage done after it's been run?
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Posted 16/05/2012 - 08:20
Link
It possibly should but I think you should really think of your AV as the last line of defence rather than relying on it to keep you safe.
A quick look at our software inventory suggests all our machines have been upgraded to later versions of the CS suite.
Also US-Cert Security Bulletin suggests this also affects Photoshop 5.5 which is different to what the Register article at the top states.
A quick look at our software inventory suggests all our machines have been upgraded to later versions of the CS suite.
Also US-Cert Security Bulletin suggests this also affects Photoshop 5.5 which is different to what the Register article at the top states.
Posted 16/05/2012 - 20:15
Link
There were a lot of negative comments on the PS forum when Adobe announced the ‘fix’ was to upgrade to CS 6.0 – but since then Adobe have had a change of heart and announced a fix will be made available soon for CS5.5, I’m not sure about CS5.0
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


2545 posts
17 years
Wakefield