Photoshop - extraction tutorials?

LittleSkink

Link Posted 01/10/2013 - 20:45
I was taught to do all the work in capturing a good photo and not fix things in the darkroom, so when it comes to Photoshop my skills are still developing

Anyhow, got a lot of the basic controls ok from books and playing (and guidance from folks here) but I am now bumping in to my own limitations - it may be that you want to stop reading now and just point me to some good on-line tutorials (believe me I have looked and wasted plenty of time searching)

Lets suppose I have a colour portrait going to high key black and white. Already took it to b&w via channel mixer layer to background copy, added a curves layer, did some burning - all okay so far. In capture the background wasn't quite blown out and I am struggling to select it to do this as there is a graduation across the image

Worse case would be to erase it by pixels or something but I have several to do and want to learn how to do this "properly". So how to extract the background quickly and easily?

McGregNi

Link Posted 01/10/2013 - 20:59
It sounds like you are having trouble with a selection firstly. One tool that is useful is the 'Magic Wand' (looks like a fireworks sparkler) - it will automatically select areas of same colour and brightness as where you first click - the trick is after the first click then use a right-click and choose 'similar' from the context menu. This should then grab all the same tones you're needing.

For tricky extractions then plug-ins are best - try Topaz ReMask .....
http://www.topazlabs.com/remask/

Nigel
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.