Photoshop ...
Posted 13/02/2013 - 11:40
Link
Layers are your friend
Here are some (old) tutorials I wrote on layers:
* http://www.photon.me.uk/PS/ps_layers_tutorial_1.htm
* http://www.photon.me.uk/PS/pslayerstutorial.htm
Also, Googling for sky replacements:
* http://www.essential-photoshop-elements.com/replace-the-sky.html
* http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/pselements/ss/replacedullsky.htm
(But those Googled results I would personally use Layers to remove the dud sky rather than erasing!! Using a layer and mask allows you to tweak any nasty transitions.)
BTW, which version of Elements?
Matt
Here are some (old) tutorials I wrote on layers:
* http://www.photon.me.uk/PS/ps_layers_tutorial_1.htm
* http://www.photon.me.uk/PS/pslayerstutorial.htm
Also, Googling for sky replacements:
* http://www.essential-photoshop-elements.com/replace-the-sky.html
* http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/pselements/ss/replacedullsky.htm
(But those Googled results I would personally use Layers to remove the dud sky rather than erasing!! Using a layer and mask allows you to tweak any nasty transitions.)
BTW, which version of Elements?
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
(For gallery, tips and links)
Posted 13/02/2013 - 13:42
Link
Thanks, I did try using layers to build a new sky but still cannot get it sorted. I will have a read through when my connection is better!
The sky I have - in the places it is, is perfect, I just need to extend it!
I have just had a thought - put the existing into a layer and stretch it. will it work I wonder
The sky I have - in the places it is, is perfect, I just need to extend it!
I have just had a thought - put the existing into a layer and stretch it. will it work I wonder
Posted 13/02/2013 - 18:11
Link
Cloning? ( with varying opacity )
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Posted 13/02/2013 - 18:30
Link
Sorry, is Elements actually building the panorama properly or is the missing sky a problem?
If not, as Smeggy suggests cloning from elsewhere should be able to fill it it
If not, as Smeggy suggests cloning from elsewhere should be able to fill it it
Pentax pour des images riches en détails!
Posted 13/02/2013 - 18:50
Link
It is Elements 9
Panorama is built in Autostitch ... it is the missing sky I have the problem with
Have tried Cloning but cannot get the transitions right - there is always a straight line or a wide patch that stands out. I spent 4 hours trying various ways when my connection was down - without much success.
The image here (to show the problem) is just 6 of them four across with the two mountain tops. It is the black at the top I want to replace with sky - I have tried deleting the black, replacing with light blue and working from there and other ways. The full version is twice the size and I have already reduced this from a 12MB JPG.
Yes, that really is what the sky was like - clear blue with not a cloud in sight.
What is needed is a two dimensional gradient tool!

Panorama is built in Autostitch ... it is the missing sky I have the problem with
Have tried Cloning but cannot get the transitions right - there is always a straight line or a wide patch that stands out. I spent 4 hours trying various ways when my connection was down - without much success.
The image here (to show the problem) is just 6 of them four across with the two mountain tops. It is the black at the top I want to replace with sky - I have tried deleting the black, replacing with light blue and working from there and other ways. The full version is twice the size and I have already reduced this from a 12MB JPG.
Yes, that really is what the sky was like - clear blue with not a cloud in sight.
What is needed is a two dimensional gradient tool!

Posted 13/02/2013 - 19:12
Link
DO you have another sky you could use behind the mountains instead of the existing blue one? If so I think you could make a new canvas cut and paste mountains and foreground into it and replace the sky with a better(complete) one.
Since you are also missing quite a bit of foreground as well I am not sure it is really worthwhile. Might be better to chalk this one down to experience.
Since you are also missing quite a bit of foreground as well I am not sure it is really worthwhile. Might be better to chalk this one down to experience.
Posted 13/02/2013 - 19:16
Link
Gamka wrote:
Have tried Cloning but cannot get the transitions right - there is always a straight line or a wide patch that stands out.
Should be able to get close by changing the opacity and flow of the cloning to blend it together, and use a blend tool ??
Have tried Cloning but cannot get the transitions right - there is always a straight line or a wide patch that stands out.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Posted 13/02/2013 - 19:25
Link
OK, I can't replicate with this lo-res file, but I think there is enough sky on the horizontal planes to allow you to clone.
Just pick a piece of empty sky and clone across exactly horizontally, it will certainly take a little while, play about with brush sizes, remember to use a soft brush & CTRL-Z to quick delete any mistakes will be handy
Apart from that, yeah you might just wanna let this one go...
Just pick a piece of empty sky and clone across exactly horizontally, it will certainly take a little while, play about with brush sizes, remember to use a soft brush & CTRL-Z to quick delete any mistakes will be handy
Apart from that, yeah you might just wanna let this one go...
Pentax pour des images riches en détails!
Posted 13/02/2013 - 21:55
Link
It looks like you have enough pieces to make one full narrow rectangle from the top of the sky (above the right hand peak) down to the lowest part (in the middle of the two). If the clone fill etc fails, I'd consider replacing all the sky with a new one made from this rectangle.
This would make it standard right the way across, instead of having bands of different gradient from the panorama stitching.
Actually I just tried this and there are variations right across the sky. Banding I guess you'd call it. Did you have a polarising filter on when you took these?
Plan B.
Why not recreate a sky using a gradient fill with colours picked directly from your photo. You have no clouds in the sky so this could look quite natural.
eg:


Photoshop Gradient Link
This would make it standard right the way across, instead of having bands of different gradient from the panorama stitching.
Actually I just tried this and there are variations right across the sky. Banding I guess you'd call it. Did you have a polarising filter on when you took these?
Plan B.
Why not recreate a sky using a gradient fill with colours picked directly from your photo. You have no clouds in the sky so this could look quite natural.
eg:


Photoshop Gradient Link
Posted 14/02/2013 - 11:37
Link
Thanks all.
Richandfleur seems to have cracked it. I might add a left to centre to right gradient of very light blue underneath just to vary the tone of the sky slightly
The sample may not be the best of the image but it illustrated the problem and was one to work on. With all ten together it is a little more interesting - when I can get the stitching order I want. One large hill on each side funnelling down a valley to a lake
I also have a couple more with the same problem but started with that as it was probably the easiest.
I have learnt that I need to take some of the sky with just a small amount of landscape to fill the gaps and possibly use the camera in portrait mode to allow for some extra cropping.
Without sorting out the sky this is the basic image - well reduced in size ...

Richandfleur seems to have cracked it. I might add a left to centre to right gradient of very light blue underneath just to vary the tone of the sky slightly
The sample may not be the best of the image but it illustrated the problem and was one to work on. With all ten together it is a little more interesting - when I can get the stitching order I want. One large hill on each side funnelling down a valley to a lake
I also have a couple more with the same problem but started with that as it was probably the easiest.
I have learnt that I need to take some of the sky with just a small amount of landscape to fill the gaps and possibly use the camera in portrait mode to allow for some extra cropping.
Without sorting out the sky this is the basic image - well reduced in size ...

Posted 14/02/2013 - 13:13
Link
Gamka wrote:
use the camera in portrait mode to allow for some extra cropping.
Yes, you'll end up with more shots to merge, but more fat to play with too. use the camera in portrait mode to allow for some extra cropping.
Looking good!
Posted 14/02/2013 - 13:19
Link
I might have almost mastered the method.
I now need access to my wife's PC - mine runs out of memory when doing the high resolution stitching.
I now need access to my wife's PC - mine runs out of memory when doing the high resolution stitching.
Posted 14/02/2013 - 16:21
Link
Posted 14/02/2013 - 17:28
Link
Looks good! As was mentioned it would be a lot more majestic with some foreground, but heyho.
Pentax pour des images riches en détails!
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



862 posts
13 years
I need to fill in some sky - clear blue and no clouds. I am using Photoshop Elements but cannot get a seamless transition and what ever I try leaves an obvious seam.
Any suggestions/ideas/methods?