Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Photography viewing cards

Posted 22/09/2020 - 13:59 Link
An interesting article in Digital Camera (234) about landscape photographer Charlie Waite. The guy loves his Hasselblad and takes some stunning images. However, what interested me was that he considers his viewing card to be vital in his work.

I'd never heard of them before and having had a look on the web there doesn't seem to be much written about them.

Showing my ignorance, (again), I was just wondering what the general view was of this item and, if you wanted to, how you would go about creating one. Or not...
Be well, stay safe, but most of all, invest in memories
MHOL190246
Posted 22/09/2020 - 14:19 - Helpful Comment Link
I have a feeling this might be a 5" x 4" cardboard frame that he uses to view a scene to get some idea of what the finished effect wil be. I recall that Charlie Waite wrote a workshop type article on Landscape in one of the photo magazines where he extolled the virtues of using such a card to imagine the final article. Suitable inspired I managed to purchase a card from a local artists' supply shop. It can prove useful as long as you remember it is in the camera bag. The concept dates back to the days of composing the scene with a plate camera and black cloth!!
JohnX
Posted 22/09/2020 - 16:33 - Helpful Comment Link
I use a little gadget called a 'View Catcher'. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Color-Wheel-Artists-Catcher-White/dp/B001DKMZNG (also available elsewhere).

Has a viewing window which is 1x1 in it's 'raw' state, but has pre-set marks for to 8x12, 9x12, 11x14, 12x16 and 8x10. Gives you a chance to try different aspect ratios without lifting a camera to your eye, but clearly aimed more at artists, not togs.

It's also mid-tone grey, although I haven't used it (yet) to set colour balance.
Posted 23/09/2020 - 10:01 Link
Michael - you're quite right it is a 5" x 4" card, and Charlie Waite is never without it when he's working. I must admit to smiling re. the comment, 'useful as long as you remember it is in the camera bag.' Yep, works for me. Also, the historical background was fascinating.

John - I had a look at the link, really helpful. I agree with you about it being aimed more at artists, it could be quite useful for them.

Thank you both, just confirms why I like this site - helpful, very informative and friendly.

Be well, stay well, all.
LennyBloke
Posted 23/09/2020 - 16:49 - Helpful Comment Link
I've always used left hand with the palm facing me, forefinger pointing right, thumb up and right hand above the left hand with the palm facing away from me and forefinger pointing left, thumb down

With this technique you can also change the aspect ratio from panorama to square

I've not gone as far as drawing centimetre markings in permanent marker (yet)
LennyBloke
Posted 23/09/2020 - 16:56 Link
LennyBloke wrote:
I've always used left hand with the palm facing me, forefinger pointing right, thumb up and right hand above the left hand with the palm facing away from me and forefinger pointing left, thumb down

With this technique you can also change the aspect ratio from panorama to square

I've not gone as far as drawing centimetre markings in permanent marker (yet)

Not only helpful and very practical, Lenny, but you really know how to make me laugh out loud. Thanks. 😂

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.