Perseid
Posted 14/08/2013 - 09:34
Link
Smeggy
I could not agree more. There must be many more interesting things to photograph in the dark of night and just as rare, like a mother and baby toad last night whilst hunting vine weevil, but no camera to hand.
I could not agree more. There must be many more interesting things to photograph in the dark of night and just as rare, like a mother and baby toad last night whilst hunting vine weevil, but no camera to hand.
Posted 14/08/2013 - 09:46
Link
thoramay wrote:
Smeggy
I could not agree more. There must be many more interesting things to photograph in the dark of night and just as rare, like a mother and baby toad last night whilst hunting vine weevil, but no camera to hand.
Ah!Smeggy
I could not agree more. There must be many more interesting things to photograph in the dark of night and just as rare, like a mother and baby toad last night whilst hunting vine weevil, but no camera to hand.
But now we get into the realm of what is worth photographing. Surely anything can be worth photographing and our job is to make a decent go at it?
Getting there! Thanks to you guys
Pentax K3ii, Pentax K10d, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.
Pentax K3ii, Pentax K10d, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.
Posted 14/08/2013 - 09:47
Link
coker wrote:
That's a super image L/B!
Roger.
Thanks Roger - there was more than an element of luck to it
That's a super image L/B!
Roger.
LennyBloke
Posted 14/08/2013 - 11:24
Link
I fail to see how any aspect of the world around us is unworthy of any efforts on our part to photograph!
If animals, birds, leaves, sunsets, the human figure, street-life, anything indeed on this site, are legitimate subjects, how can meteors be excepted / dismissed as being unworthy?
Roger.
If animals, birds, leaves, sunsets, the human figure, street-life, anything indeed on this site, are legitimate subjects, how can meteors be excepted / dismissed as being unworthy?
Roger.
The more I look, the more there is to see!
Posted 14/08/2013 - 11:33
Link
Each to their own. It would be very boring if we all photographed the same things! My photos of (non-existent) Perseids from last night are just starry skies, but I still like them...not worth posting mind!
I personally think the Perseid/plane encounter is a good shot...looking at where the plane trail ends you only just caught it...and that's perhaps the point!!
I personally think the Perseid/plane encounter is a good shot...looking at where the plane trail ends you only just caught it...and that's perhaps the point!!
Posted 14/08/2013 - 12:44
Link
LennyBloke wrote:
I had another go last night and didn't spot as many but I did have one spot of luck...
...I heard a plane going over, looked up and saw it was on the path that my "flat on its back" camera was pointing at so I tripped the shutter on a 30 second exposure and I was lucky enough to catch a Perseid almost crossing the planes trail

Now THAT'S not a boring shot!
I had another go last night and didn't spot as many but I did have one spot of luck...
...I heard a plane going over, looked up and saw it was on the path that my "flat on its back" camera was pointing at so I tripped the shutter on a 30 second exposure and I was lucky enough to catch a Perseid almost crossing the planes trail

Posted 14/08/2013 - 13:07
Link
What way was the 'plane going L/B, "up" or "down" in your piccy?
Roger.
Roger.
The more I look, the more there is to see!
Posted 14/08/2013 - 13:09
Link
coker wrote:
I fail to see how any aspect of the world around us is unworthy of any efforts on our part to photograph!
If animals, birds, leaves, sunsets, the human figure, street-life, anything indeed on this site, are legitimate subjects, how can meteors be excepted / dismissed as being unworthy?
Roger.
Don't worry about it, Roger, at least your thread triggered lots of replies. My images usually get very few - positive or negative! I fail to see how any aspect of the world around us is unworthy of any efforts on our part to photograph!
If animals, birds, leaves, sunsets, the human figure, street-life, anything indeed on this site, are legitimate subjects, how can meteors be excepted / dismissed as being unworthy?
Roger.
And if anyone ever does see "a huge dinosaur killing Asteroid hurtling towards Earth" and your camera and lens are not WR, it would be advisable to go back indoors straight away or your whole kit is going to get covered in dust.
Philip
Posted 14/08/2013 - 13:16
Link
The plane was going "down" - the little wiggle at the end is when the pilot spotted the Perseid and took avoiding action
Now that would have made a good story, but the truth is that the plane was going "up" !
...if you look at the start of the plane lights trail you can see a little wiggle - this was me pressing the shutter button, I should have been more professional and used a tripod, cable release, mirror lock, etc but intead I sat at the garden table, lay the camera on its back, moved it to point at an interesting group of stars then pressed the button
Now that would have made a good story, but the truth is that the plane was going "up" !
...if you look at the start of the plane lights trail you can see a little wiggle - this was me pressing the shutter button, I should have been more professional and used a tripod, cable release, mirror lock, etc but intead I sat at the garden table, lay the camera on its back, moved it to point at an interesting group of stars then pressed the button
LennyBloke
Posted 14/08/2013 - 13:56
Link
Never mind about "a huge dinosaur killing Asteroid hurtling towards Earth", how spooky is that... a 'plane appearing out of nowhere.....!
Roger.
Roger.
The more I look, the more there is to see!
Posted 15/08/2013 - 09:24
Link
I spend at least an hour every evening in the dark and in my garden. I see many exciting things and that includes the stars and the occasional shooting star.
Whilst I acknowledge that it is an exciting achievement to photograph an extremely rare event and certainly not boring as such, but for me, it cannot match what nature gives us the opportunity to photograph every night.
It is a personal thing and a valid comment
Whilst I acknowledge that it is an exciting achievement to photograph an extremely rare event and certainly not boring as such, but for me, it cannot match what nature gives us the opportunity to photograph every night.
It is a personal thing and a valid comment
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


1547 posts
16 years
Wiltshire
Roger.