perception

Error
  • You need to be logged in to vote on this poll

aminstar

Link Posted 19/02/2010 - 13:28
Is the square A different in colour from square B?
Please tick Yes or No after visually inspecting it, and then go ahead and do your tests, with PS or even by covering all the remaining squares and leaving behind visible just squares A and B.
No cheating please, , just look, analyse, do take your time if you want and then tick your reply.

Amin Photo Gallery

PG

Link Posted 19/02/2010 - 13:43
I've seen this image before, and I even downloaded it and played with the colour picker tool in my photo editor. They're the same colour, and I think that's very fascinating.
PhilipGoh.com - Wedding and Portrait Photographer

MattMatic

Link Posted 19/02/2010 - 13:49
The only way to see it is to remove the context
(Zoom in all the way on the Mac will do it - Ctrl-mouse)

It's a great illusion

Difficult to answer the poll! (a) I know they are the same shade, but (b) they definitely don't look it

Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
Last Edited by MattMatic on 19/02/2010 - 13:50

andrewk

Link Posted 19/02/2010 - 19:04
What an incredible illusion!!!

They definitely look different to me, which is how I answered the poll.

If you paste the graphic into PS, then select and copy "squares" A & B and drop the copies next to each other on the white border, they look exactly the same. Amazing .........

Andrew

Anvh

Link Posted 19/02/2010 - 19:14
Already knew this one.
I believe from what we "see" 80% is filled in by our imagination and experience on how something should/would look.

Oggy

Link Posted 19/02/2010 - 19:25
D'Oh!!

I knew the answer but still got it wrong because I didn't read the options properly.

RTFQ

johnriley

Link Posted 20/02/2010 - 01:11
It shows that the human brain understands, whereas a computer only observes.
Best regards, John

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 20/02/2010 - 01:34
Amazing! Even KNOWING it is an optical illusion, my brain simply will not accept it is the same colour.

ChrisA

Link Posted 20/02/2010 - 09:45
Oops, I ticked 'No' after checking it all out, rather than before. I'm pre-coffee, sorry (another RTFQ here). I mean 'Yes' - no matter how hard I look, I can't see them as the same.

I so wish the forum software let you retract a vote... cos I didn't mean to cheat, honest guv.

Anyway, this is possibly the best visual illusion I've ever seen in my life.

I copied A to a new layer in PS, and converted it to a smart object, so I could move it around the screen with the mouse.

It's not the same, goddammit - the square changes colour as you move it around!!!!

Like Pentaxophile, even though I know the truth, my brain just recoils.

When I first looked at the picture, I could see straight away that B is much darker than the other light squares at the sides, and also that A is much lighter than the dark squares in the middle. What still completely amazes me is that they still look very different.

With other illusions, I can usually mentally remove the context and focus on the bits to be compared, until I can see them as the same.

I just can't do that with this one. It's brilliant.

aminstar

Link Posted 20/02/2010 - 09:53
I really printed this in an A4 size and decided to play with the kids saying it was a magic trick lol. Had a lot of fun. Cut small pieces of square paper to cover the areas in small increments and keep checking when the colour perception stops and it was funny that there seems to be just one or two adjacent squares that only when they end up being covered too then suddenly the colours seem the same.

That cylindrical shape is the one creating the percption I think. It casts a specific shadow area while the square A has light shining on it tricking the mind again to its true colour while the B one is under the shadow again tricking the mind from its original cover.
It seems to me in the end that its how the mind perceives light and shadow basically that creates this perception.
I was fascinated with this actually too. Have seen a few along the years but this one is one of the best ones really. The mind just refuses to accept even after seeing that they are the same and once the squares are uncovered it goes back to thinking they are different.
Amin Photo Gallery
Last Edited by aminstar on 20/02/2010 - 09:55

Daniel Bridge

Link Posted 20/02/2010 - 12:43
I know I've posted it before, but this site is well worth a look.

Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...

aminstar

Link Posted 20/02/2010 - 13:33
Daniel Bridge wrote:
I know I've posted it before, but this site is well worth a look.

Dan

That's a great site Dan, love these sort of stuff
Amin Photo Gallery

pink

Link Posted 20/02/2010 - 13:53
NOW that is amazing

James
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.