Pentaxians need not apply

MarkTaylor

Link Posted 30/10/2011 - 11:44
Recently came across the following advert for a photographer. See the parts I have highlighted in bold. I don't normally read these sort of ads, I just stumbled across this one. Is this kind of restriction normal?

---

Oyster.com (http://www.oyster.com..., the best hotel research and shopping website, is expanding and we are looking for a freelance photographer in Glasgow or Edinburgh to join our team.

As a photographer for Oyster, you will visit hotels across the country and take hundreds of high-quality photos at each hotel. We are seeking experienced photographers who are dependable and responsible.

Founded in 2008, Oyster.com combines exclusive content and commerce all in one online location. The website publishes its own objective, in-depth hotel reviews documented with thousands of photographs, and expert editorial opinions. Based on a strict set of criteria and ratings, Oyster’s curated content is designed to give users the best and most accurate way to research, plan, and book their holidays. Oyster’s goal is to ensure that customers have the most enjoyable vacation experience possible. They accomplish this by providing objective, extensive critiques of hotels around the world.

Oyster.com is financed by Bain Capital Ventures and The Travel Channel, and has been repeatedly praised by the best and brightest: The New York Times, Wall Street Journal, LA Times, Economist, USA Today, CNN, ABC 20/20, and many others. You can see all of our press here: http://www.oyster.com...

Watch our recent segment on the Today Show: http://www.oyster.com...

Your responsibilities will include:
• Taking a high number of photos at each hotel you visit
• You will be expected to be quick at answering emails and phone calls from Oyster
• You will be responsible for foldering/organizing all photos and sending them to Oyster

Requirements:
• Must be based in Glasgow or Edinburgh
• Must have prior photography experience!
• Must have an online portfolio to send us
• We strongly prefer that you have one of the following DSLR cameras: Canon 5D Mark II, Nikon D700 or Nikon D3s. We will accept the following cameras as well: Canon 1Ds Mark III, Canon 1D MK IV, Canon 7D, Canon 60D, Canon 550D (also known as Rebel T2i), Nikon D7000, Nikon D5000, and the Nikon D3100
• Experience in architecture or interior photography a plus
• Must have a flexible schedule during the week (candidates with full-time jobs will not be considered)
• Must be willing to travel throughout the country
• Professional writing experience a plus

When applying:
**Please send a link to your online photo portfolio
**In your cover letter, please specify the camera with which you shoot. APPLICATIONS THAT DO NOT MENTION A SPECIFIC CAMERA MODEL WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
My Flickr • Pentax K-5 • K-5 II • Sigma 8-16mm F/4.5-5.6 DC HSM • Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD ASL • SMC Pentax-DA* 50-135mm F/2.8 ED [IF] SDM • SMC Pentax-DA 55-300mm F/4-5.8 ED • SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] WR • Vivitar 100mm F/3.5 Macro AF • Metz Mecablitz 58 AF-2
Last Edited by the Moderator Team on 30/10/2011 - 12:38

cabstar

Link Posted 30/10/2011 - 12:14
Interesting they prefer a Nikon D3100 over a Nikon D3x, 5D mk2 over a 1Ds mkiv & totally ignore Phase One, Hasselblad or any other expensive medium format sized sensor camera.

Sounds like the ad was created by someone with a little camera knowledge who is not really knowledgable... I think they maybe just want to talk gear. Some agencies used to be like this but now realise that any modern digital SLR is up to the job...
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

cabstar

Link Posted 30/10/2011 - 12:18
Think they would be better of specifying lens adjusting software...

http://images.oyster.com/jamaica/hotels/tensing-pen/photos/beach-tensing-pen-v10...
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

Algernon

Link Posted 30/10/2011 - 12:28
I doubt if their photographers would be very welcome at
any of the hotels anyway
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

johnriley

Link Posted 30/10/2011 - 12:41
I've taken out the link of where to apply.

It's an odd requirement, but it reinforces what I've said many times - if you are going to submit anything anywhere read the requirements and follow them properly. Otherwise you won't make a sale.

As for why they might do this, it's possible that they have an advertising link with Canon and Nikon and a certain amount of "product placement" is being done. It's the only reason I can think of, but of course I'm only speculating.

It's no different from the Pentax-only policy of this site. We have a purpose, they have a purpose.
Best regards, John

Dangermouse

Link Posted 30/10/2011 - 12:45
I hate to tell them this, but an old MX, 50/1.7 and roll of decent film would probably match any of those cameras providing the scanner was up to it...

I don't see any digital medium format gear or the Sony full frame models there either.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

ChrisA

Link Posted 30/10/2011 - 12:48
johnriley wrote:
I've taken out the link of where to apply.

Is this because you deem it to be indirectly promoting Nikon and Canon?
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)

johnriley

Link Posted 30/10/2011 - 12:50
It's because we don't include commercial advertising.
Best regards, John

ChrisA

Link Posted 30/10/2011 - 12:54
johnriley wrote:
It's because we don't include commercial advertising.

Ah, thanks for clarifying. It would need a fair bit more redaction though, to really prevent anyone finding out where to go (not that I'm interested in applying, but it took me a little under 5 seconds to find the original ad )
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 30/10/2011 - 14:06
That advert certainly wouldn't put me off applying. They probably just aren't aware of Pentax DSLRs.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

walkeja

Link Posted 30/10/2011 - 15:23
Is this discrimination?, and if so is it illegal?
Pentax K1-ii and MZ6
Pentax Lenses 28-80 F, 300 DA*, 80-200 F, 35 F2.4 AL, M50 F1.7, 28-105 DFA, 20 F4 SMC
ONE UNITED Member

chunky

Link Posted 30/10/2011 - 15:31
Damn!

I'll put the RZ67 and digi back away then.
Chunky

Dangermouse

Link Posted 30/10/2011 - 16:53
walkeja wrote:
Is this discrimination?, and if so is it illegal?

Nope.

A client can specify what tools/materials they want to be used on a project. It just doesn't happen often as most clients have the sense to understand that employing a pro means getting someone who knows the most suitable kit to do the job and will be able to use it properly.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

nass

Link Posted 30/10/2011 - 17:01
Maybe they have company equipment like lenses etc
... just another middle-aged guy with a hobby. I have an extreme macro learning site at extreme-macro.co.uk - Pentax-centric, your feedback and comments would be appreciated!

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 30/10/2011 - 17:10
They΄ll accept a Nikon D3100 for professional work? In that case, they surely have to accept any DSLR from the last few years.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.