Pentax Takumar 83mm f1.9
Posted 23/09/2010 - 13:42
Link
Some information here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/7356924@N02/1464918577/
Matt
Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
Posted 23/09/2010 - 14:41
Link
Thanks, it seems quite a rare lens. Less than 1000 were produced. I thought some of the lens collectors on here might know a bit about it? The one on that link was bought in a charity shop. I can't find a price for it anywhere. The guy who offered to sell it to me has had it 20 years!
Posted 23/09/2010 - 14:54
Link
I don't know what $500 Aus works out to in £GBP but I'd say it was worth more than that. It dates from the 1950's and was only produced in small numbers, those that have them seem to rate them higher than any of the 85mm designs that followed - consequently they tend to be priced quite high.
Recently one was offered on eBay for £800 but didn't sell, I've seen them sell before at around the £500 mark though. I reckon you've found quite a bargain there.
Recently one was offered on eBay for £800 but didn't sell, I've seen them sell before at around the £500 mark though. I reckon you've found quite a bargain there.
Joining the Q
Posted 23/09/2010 - 15:24
Link
You need to find out if this is the Takumar 83mm f1.9 with 42mm screw thread, which exists only in miniscule numbers and may never have entered production, or Takumar 83mm f1.9 for Asahiflex, which was in production from 1953-1957.
Of course, it could be a misprint and be a Takumar 85mm f1.9, manufactured from 1964 to 1971.
McKeowan's doesn't list the two rare lenses, so no sales data it seems. It's worth what the buyer will pay.
Of course, it could be a misprint and be a Takumar 85mm f1.9, manufactured from 1964 to 1971.
McKeowan's doesn't list the two rare lenses, so no sales data it seems. It's worth what the buyer will pay.
Best regards, John
Posted 23/09/2010 - 16:14
Link
I believe the Asahiflex version was an M37 mount and the Takumar version had the M42,
Did you get a look at the lens. ?
Did you get a look at the lens. ?
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Posted 23/09/2010 - 16:33
Link
The lens has got a 42mm screw thread, and it's definitely 83mm: I didn't see it but the guy selling it is adamant it is 83mm, and he seems to know his stuff. He collects old Nikon lenses and cameras but picked this one up 20 years ago. He said he has tried it on a Spotmatic. Next time I am down there I will get him to bring it into the shop. He says it is in perfect condition. It also seems, from the very little I can find out about it, that optically it is rated very highly. I think I will probably buy it: would be nice to have a rare lens.
Posted 23/09/2010 - 16:40
Link
Heres a link
If it is the M42 Takumar version it is very rare, and well worth the $AU500 (300quid) IMO, which means it should stay in the country as a national treasure and you should give me the guys ph number so I can buy it and take good care of it.
If it is the M42 Takumar version it is very rare, and well worth the $AU500 (300quid) IMO, which means it should stay in the country as a national treasure and you should give me the guys ph number so I can buy it and take good care of it.
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Posted 23/09/2010 - 17:02
Link
Thanks for that Clarky! I have just emailed the guy who has the lens, and hopefully will get down there soon to pick it up. I have asked him to email me some pics of the lens, and may ask someoone to pik it up for me if I don't get down there next month. It looks like a cracker: I will have to get an M42 adaptor, though I may be reluctant to actually stick such a rare lens on the front of my camera! Unfortuately he doesn't have the original lens caps: not sure if that would affect the value were I ever to sell it.
Posted 23/09/2010 - 17:23
Link
It's a shame about the lens caps, it has a silver slip on cap which looks georgeous, the chances of ever finding one will be slim indeed.
Ask the guy what serial number it is also, there was some produced that didn't have aperture blades, which seems a little odd I must say.
Ask the guy what serial number it is also, there was some produced that didn't have aperture blades, which seems a little odd I must say.
Quote:
S/N 153230 (without aperture blades)
S/N 153230 (without aperture blades)
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Posted 23/09/2010 - 17:36
Link
Ok I will ask for the serial number. On that link you posted it said only 7 copies were known of?
How does a lens work without aperture blades? On one link it mentioned preset aperture, and I am not sure exactly what that means. Surely not that the aperture is fixed at F1.9? That would restrict the use of the lens somewhat.
How does a lens work without aperture blades? On one link it mentioned preset aperture, and I am not sure exactly what that means. Surely not that the aperture is fixed at F1.9? That would restrict the use of the lens somewhat.
Posted 23/09/2010 - 18:03
Link
The one which is preset does have the aperture blades, it has 2 aperture rings basically and you preset your desired aperture, focus wide open using the other ring and then wind it back to the preset before taking the shot. I hope I explained that properly
The one without an aperture can only be used wide open at 1.9 and must have been made for a particular purpose or client, I can't imagine why though. If it is this lens, then it wouldn't have an aperture ring for obvious reasons, so it wouldn't have the preset ring either.
Just get all the info you can on it, a couple of pics will definately help.
The one without an aperture can only be used wide open at 1.9 and must have been made for a particular purpose or client, I can't imagine why though. If it is this lens, then it wouldn't have an aperture ring for obvious reasons, so it wouldn't have the preset ring either.
Just get all the info you can on it, a couple of pics will definately help.
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Posted 23/09/2010 - 18:05
Link
A preset lens has two aperture rings. One sets the aperture to the value you want, and the other one is a follower which actually controls the diaphragm. You focus wide open, then use the follower to shut the aperture to the preset position just prior to taking the actual picture.
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)
Posted 23/09/2010 - 18:10
Link
Thanks for that Clarky and Yves: I think I understand.... Can't really see why it's so complicated, surely just having one aperture ring would make the lens easier to build...what's the logic behind it?
It doesn't sound like a lens that can be used on a moving subject. Hopefully I will get some pics of it soon, if so I will post them here. A lens without aperture blades of this focal length would I guess be used for portraiture, but it seems a bit odd to make a lens that removes the ability to increase depth of field. I suppose if it was a lot cheaper it may have interested some studio photgraphers.
It doesn't sound like a lens that can be used on a moving subject. Hopefully I will get some pics of it soon, if so I will post them here. A lens without aperture blades of this focal length would I guess be used for portraiture, but it seems a bit odd to make a lens that removes the ability to increase depth of field. I suppose if it was a lot cheaper it may have interested some studio photgraphers.
Posted 23/09/2010 - 18:33
Link
Once you get your hands on it and physically see how it works, it's not that complicated and it does make it somewhat easier to use.
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


2523 posts
16 years
Here,
there,
everywhere
My Website
PPG
flickr
G+
Facebook