Pentax sport optics

Aero
Posted 11/06/2009 - 21:31 Link
I've just spent a pleasant couple of hours with a friend who's a professional ornitholgist and uses binoculars around the £1,000 mark. He recommends a pair of 8 or 10 magnification, ideally 8. Above that, he says, you can't hold them steady enough without a tripod to get a stable image and the higher-magnification models "lose definition". I couldn't pin him down on a brand that sells for £100 or so but I suspect any name you have heard of will do the job. I use a pair of 8x40 Bushnell InstaFocus I bought about 30 years ago and can't fault them, even in very low light.

Good luck in your search

Al
Daniel Bridge
Posted 11/06/2009 - 21:47 Link
Wilkinson Cameras in Carlisle stock binoculars, according to their website. They have a wide range of makes too.

At work we stock Hawke Optics, which are very good value for money. If you could stretch to around £300, the Frontier ED model is superb, one of our regular customers has just replaced his £1,000 Leicas with a pair.

If you can't stretch to those, the Endurance range is around £100 - £160, depending on model.

Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...
Posted 12/06/2009 - 05:55 Link
Thanks all for your help
shim
Posted 12/06/2009 - 07:13 Link
Wilkinson Cameras are Pentax Pro dealers.
Should also have Nik?? and Lei??

shim
MarkD
Posted 12/06/2009 - 17:49 Link
Jessops Sale! Binoculars up to half price.
These look good.
.........all the gear, no idea!
Me super, MX, LX, K5,DA 18-55WR, DA 17-70, DA 55-300, DA40 Ltd, FA50 1.4, Samsung D-Xenon 12-24,Samsung 100mm macro M50 1.7(x3), M28 3.5, M35 2.8, M100macro f4, M135 3.5(+others)
Posted 12/06/2009 - 19:28 Link
shim wrote:
Wilkinson Cameras are Pentax Pro dealers.
Should also have Nik?? and Lei??

shim
They do pentax cameras but not sport optics.Cheers shim

MarkD wrote:
Jessops Sale! Binoculars up to half price.
These look good.
They look very good Mark but i couldn't possibly buy nikon
Blincodave
Posted 12/06/2009 - 19:29 Link
MarkD wrote:
Jessops Sale! Binoculars up to half price.
These look good.
The eye relief quoted is too low for glass wearers. You need a minimum of 15mm and ideally 17/18mm.

Dave
shim
Posted 12/06/2009 - 20:02 Link
Blincodave wrote:
MarkD wrote:
Jessops Sale! Binoculars up to half price.
These look good.
The eye relief quoted is too low for glass wearers. You need a minimum of 15mm and ideally 17/18mm.

Dave
I think Martin's like me doesn't use specs with cameras or
binoculars. I can't even attempt to look through bins with
specs on, might just manage if they were on a tripod.

shim
Blincodave
Posted 12/06/2009 - 20:53 Link
Shim,

As a glass wearer, I have no problem using specs if the eye-relief is correct. Just because the binos have rubber eye cups or twist up/twist down eyepieces does not in itself guarantee a good view. I need to be able to get my glasses as close as possible to the eyepieces. Perhaps you've never tried using binos with good eye-relief!

Infact on my K10, I find the eye-relief very acceptable with specs on and find the data easy enough to read.
Edited by Blincodave: 12/06/2009 - 20:54
Posted 13/06/2009 - 07:03 Link
shim wrote:
Blincodave wrote:
MarkD wrote:
Jessops Sale! Binoculars up to half price.
These look good.
The eye relief quoted is too low for glass wearers. You need a minimum of 15mm and ideally 17/18mm.

Dave
I think Martin's like me doesn't use specs with cameras or
binoculars. I can't even attempt to look through bins with
specs on, might just manage if they were on a tripod.

shim
Ye right shim allways take off my glasses to take pics so the binocs would be the same

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo