Pentax Q to K adaptors

fatspider

Link Posted 12/06/2020 - 21:34
I'd appreciate some input on the pro's and cons of the genuine and third party adaptors.

I'm assuming the genuine adaptor allows use of lenses without an aperture ring and the third party one doesn't.

Also is there a great difference between been able to use the iris on the lens as opposed to the electronic shutter and what effect will it have on battery life and operating speed assuming it has to work harder to stop down a much larger mechanism compared to the tiny Q lenses.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

Lubbyman

Link Posted 12/06/2020 - 23:46
I've got the genuine Pentax version, had it for a couple of months. It's pricey but very well made. You're right about it allowing use of lenses without an aperture ring. I always use the iris shutter and haven't noticed any effect on battery life. Any effect is probably minimal compared to the power consumed by the screen while you struggle with manual focus and a screen that's not exactly the easiest to see in most lights.

Whatever the adapter, you'll need to use a lens that can do justice to the tightly packed pixels of the Q's sensor. It's totally unforgiving of aberrations that aren't a problem with an APS-C or full frame sensor. Best to stick to good, modern, primes rather than zooms or old lenses. The 35mm f2.8 macro works well for me, although accurate manual focus at long distance can be tricky because the slightest movement of the focus ring has a big effect at long distance. The 35mm f2.4 is easier to focus at long distance but can show some coloured fringing. When attached to a Q, they're the biggest lenses that could reasonably be called 'pocketable' (and only if you've got good-sized pockets...), which is what the Q is all about.

Here are a couple of scenic examples (second one with a Q-S1), both focussed on the distant monument and hand-held while also while holding a dog on a lead (the dog is not obligatory but if it can be done with a dog then it can be done a lot better without one ). Also a shot of part of an elderflower with the Q-S1 + Irix 150mm macro (on a tripod and no dog ), showing the huge magnification that can be achieved.

1. Q + 35mm f2.8 macro

2. Q-S1 + 35mm f2.4

3.Q-S1 + Irix 150mm macro

Hope that helps. And have fun with your Q!

Steve

HarisF1

Link Posted 12/06/2020 - 23:55
I think the genuine adapter performs the same 'dumb' aperture control as the third party ones. You control how much you'd like to stop down from wide open and that's it. It pushes the aperture mechanism open to whatever you've set it at.

EDIT: Didn't read your question properly! You've also got the AF with a proper Q lens and this probably uses up the battery as much as the larger iris would (or more).
Last Edited by HarisF1 on 13/06/2020 - 00:01

fatspider

Link Posted 13/06/2020 - 10:11
Thanks guys, I was considering keeping my 50-135 DA* rather than buying a third party adaptor and having to search for suitable lenses with an aperture ring.

Now all I have to do is find a genuine Pentax adaptor.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

HarisF1

Link Posted 13/06/2020 - 11:32
fatspider wrote:
Thanks guys, I was considering keeping my 50-135 DA* rather than buying a third party adaptor and having to search for suitable lenses with an aperture ring.

Now all I have to do is find a genuine Pentax adaptor.

Some third party adaptors come with aperture control so if the extra shutter isn't necessary then these will work just fine.

fatspider

Link Posted 13/06/2020 - 11:47
Quote:
Some third party adaptors come with aperture control so if the extra shutter isn't necessary then these will work just fine.

Wasn't aware of that, will have to keep an eye out for one.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

Lubbyman

Link Posted 13/06/2020 - 11:57
HarisF1 wrote:
You control how much you'd like to stop down from wide open and that's it. It pushes the aperture mechanism open to whatever you've set it at.

Correct, at least for the Pentax (I don't know about others). Usefully, the Pentax is calibrated so 1 step on the aperture ring corresponds to 1 stop. Not sure whether that's the case for 3rd party adapters.

A nice feature of the Pentax is that a tripod mount of the type used by the DA*300 can be fitted. Essential for macro or a long 'equivalent focal length' lens that doesn't have its own mount, unless you've got very, very steady hands (or you want to risk bending the camera by using the camera's tripod socket )

BHphotovideo.com (New York) claims to have the genuine Pentax adapter in stock. When I was looking a couple of months ago, the only other place I found with one in stock was the Ricoh UK/Europe store - and I bought the last one . There were none new or used in the major UK stores, but that doesn't mean there isn't one on a dusty shelf in a store room somewhere in the UK. And I didn't look in Japan or for used copies.

If you haven't already seen it, have a look at user experience in link before you press the button on a lens/adapter combination. Some results are surprising. And it seems that almost any lens can be attached to a Q if you're determined enough!

Good luck!

Steve

Helpful

HarisF1

Link Posted 13/06/2020 - 15:35
Lubbyman wrote:
And it seems that almost any lens can be attached to a Q if you're determined enough!

That gets me thinking. I'll be back in a short while.

fatspider

Link Posted 13/06/2020 - 16:35
I had seen the link Steve, unfortunately the DA*50-135 isn't on there, athough given the quality of the lens on APS I doubt that would be an issue.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

HarisF1

Link Posted 16/06/2020 - 18:04
I guess this is what I call a short while.

Enjoy.

HarisF1

Link Posted 16/06/2020 - 18:05

Lubbyman

Link Posted 16/06/2020 - 18:43
Looks like fun!!! And a lovely picture.

I wonder if NASA would attach a Q to the Hubble space telescope...

Steve

HarisF1

Link Posted 16/06/2020 - 20:15
Lubbyman wrote:
Looks like fun!!! And a lovely picture.

I wonder if NASA would attach a Q to the Hubble space telescope...

Steve

The aliens they met served them with an injunction to keep quiet about it!
Last Edited by HarisF1 on 16/06/2020 - 20:15
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.