Pentax Optio S12 fault

colocube
Posted 20/08/2012 - 21:38 Link
Can anyone help. I am having a problem with my Pentax Optio S12. When I switch it on the lens come out and the screen turns on for a few seconds then the camera switches itself off. I have tried charing the battery and it seems to be charged - even though it did not seem to take too long to charge - the green light on the battery charger seemed to go out very quickly indicating battery was charged.

Would appreciate anyone help or views.
Thanks
Claire
johnriley
Posted 20/08/2012 - 21:46 - Helpful Comment Link
If possible I would try another battery, just in case the one you have is faulty or perhaps beyond its normal lifespan.

Batteries should be good for 1000 charge cycles or more, but sometimes they fail.
Best regards, John
steven9761
Posted 20/08/2012 - 21:49 - Helpful Comment Link
Possibly a broken/loose wire in the charger, or the wire in the plug itself is loose. Possibly even a dud battery. How old's the camera? To fully charge a battery should take at least 1-2 hours (depending on how much charge was already there).

So many ifs, buts, and maybe's Claire! Perhaps you might like to post some more info, such as what you have tried (try another wall-socket for your charger, etc)...
colocube
Posted 21/08/2012 - 08:32 Link
Hi Steven and John, thank you for your posts.

The camera is about two years old.

I tried charging the battery again at a different socket - it lasted about 30 minutes then the green light went out - so I assume there must have been some charge already on the battery.

When I turn the camera on the lense comes out and the screen shows the slogan pentax optio - then displaces a rather grainy picture - then within about two seconds the lense goes back in and it switches off.

Claire
steven9761
Posted 21/08/2012 - 08:49 - Helpful Comment Link
Claire - sounds like a fault with the camera. Send it to:

Johnsons Photopia Ltd
Hempstalls Lane
Newcastle under Lyme
Staffordshire
ST5 0SW


Tel: +44 (0) 1782 753350
Email: [email protected]">[email protected]


And get a repair estimate. If the cost of repair is "uneconomical", then ask if it is possible to upgrade. I don't know if they still do it, but when it was Pentax in Slough that done the repairs a few years back I upgraded an Optio A20 to an A40. The cost to repair the A20 was around £80, but the upgrade was £110, so for the exrea £30 I was getting a brand-new camera!

Good luck, Claire!
colocube
Posted 21/08/2012 - 09:08 Link
Thank you Steven, much appreciated.

Claire

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo