Pentax MX in Japan
Posted 23/09/2017 - 09:46
Link
Nice, my fave is the restaurant interior shot.
MX goes home !
MX goes home !
Peter
My Flickr page
My Flickr page
Posted 24/09/2017 - 21:49
Link
Really like this set
They tell me what I think Japan is, either crowded chaos or tranquil spaces!
These two images I especially liked
Lovely limited DOF that draws you into the scene and makes you wonder what's happening, it tells a story.

Love the dark to light in this image, it has great depth and the eye naturally is drawn to the building

They tell me what I think Japan is, either crowded chaos or tranquil spaces!
These two images I especially liked
Lovely limited DOF that draws you into the scene and makes you wonder what's happening, it tells a story.

Love the dark to light in this image, it has great depth and the eye naturally is drawn to the building

Gareth Williams ARPS
My outfit: K1ii - Pentax D FA 24-70mm f2.8 - Pentax DA* 300mm f4 - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm f1.4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II
Welsh Photographer
Flickr
Instagram
My PPG
Foundation NFT
My outfit: K1ii - Pentax D FA 24-70mm f2.8 - Pentax DA* 300mm f4 - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm f1.4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II
Welsh Photographer
Flickr
My PPG
Foundation NFT
Posted 25/09/2017 - 11:13
Link
great series and some fantastic results on film..
Posted 25/09/2017 - 14:35
Link
I too favour those with the bigger contrast range, and the favourite is the Sushi bar, plus also the one in the Temple. Generally I like the outdoors ones where you've got a long zoom and some DOF effects.
The mono film gives a timeless sense (I know that's a real cliche, but seems true here) ...they are images of the modern world but also convey a sense of the longevity of the subjects and places.
I find some of the building ones a little overexposed, perhaps 1/2 a stop?.
Looking forward to seeing your digital take on Japan as well!
The mono film gives a timeless sense (I know that's a real cliche, but seems true here) ...they are images of the modern world but also convey a sense of the longevity of the subjects and places.
I find some of the building ones a little overexposed, perhaps 1/2 a stop?.
Looking forward to seeing your digital take on Japan as well!
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Posted 25/09/2017 - 15:00
Link
A lovely set of images in glorious mono. I used to love my MX, it was such a delight to work with. Now I'm looking forward to seeing your colour pictures, both film and digital perhaps?
David
David
Posted 25/09/2017 - 17:10
Link
Love this set - and admire your dedication to film. The MX really is a great little camera, and your skills with it translate well though the scanning process, the tonal range you exhibit isn't easy to get - always enjoy your posts
LennyBloke
Posted 26/09/2017 - 01:24
Link
Easy to forget the joys of B&W. These show it off very well.
Posted 26/09/2017 - 05:51
Link
Many thanks everyone. It's a shame I couldn't take the 645 (too much weight) for better quality but the little MX performed very well and some shots I wouldn't have been able to get on medium format.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X and Panasonic L digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
Posted 04/01/2018 - 21:25
Link
Lovely set and Gareth picked out exactly the same two photos I did. Both are super images.
On my round the world trip five years back (owch... is it really that long ago?) I took my LX for colour film and MX for BW. I never regretted the extra weight and although I shot a fair bit on my K20D, I also got through a lot of film.
Cheers, Kris.
On my round the world trip five years back (owch... is it really that long ago?) I took my LX for colour film and MX for BW. I never regretted the extra weight and although I shot a fair bit on my K20D, I also got through a lot of film.
Cheers, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
Posted 05/01/2018 - 11:03
Link
Many thanks.
I think the same film gear (MX, M 50/1.7, A 28mm) will be going with me to Italy next week as I really enjoyed using them in Japan I think Rome could be great for B&W film too. I'm tempted to take a 6x6 folder for medium format too, but I think it might be too much weight.
I think the same film gear (MX, M 50/1.7, A 28mm) will be going with me to Italy next week as I really enjoyed using them in Japan I think Rome could be great for B&W film too. I'm tempted to take a 6x6 folder for medium format too, but I think it might be too much weight.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X and Panasonic L digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
Posted 05/01/2018 - 12:21
Link
Those are great, very expressive shots and a fabulous use of film (I can imagine some of them difficult to get). I also like the varied subjects and general moods of the sequence.
When I travel I take a 135 (usually an M135/3.5 as it's more compact/lighter than the K135/2.5 and has a built in hood). I don't get to use it often, but it doubles up as a 200mm on the K-5 - which can be handy.
When I travel I take a 135 (usually an M135/3.5 as it's more compact/lighter than the K135/2.5 and has a built in hood). I don't get to use it often, but it doubles up as a 200mm on the K-5 - which can be handy.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


2427 posts
15 years
Madrid / Edinburgh
I took my K3 and DA limited lenses but also shot four rolls of Ilford Delta 400 B&W film, and a roll of Fuji colour film which I haven't had developed yet, in my MX. I had the A 28/2.8, M 50/1.7 and M 120/2.8 with me but I'm not sure I used the 120mm at all on film and the 50mm was used for 90% of the shots.
This was my first time using Delta 400 and I like the results a lot. Good tones (not quite as good as Tri-X but close), fine grain and it dries exceptionally flat, which means scanned results are as sharp as my Epson V500 can manage.
Here are my favourite film shots from the trip, you can see more in my Flickr stream if you like.
Japan Pentax MX Ilford Delta 400 018a by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
Japan Pentax MX Ilford Delta 400 149a by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
Japan Pentax MX Ilford Delta 400 146a by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
Japan Pentax MX Ilford Delta 400 141a by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
Japan Pentax MX Ilford Delta 400 137a by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
Japan Pentax MX Ilford Delta 400 125a by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
Japan Pentax MX Ilford Delta 400 120a by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
Japan Pentax MX Ilford Delta 400 116a by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
Japan Pentax MX Ilford Delta 400 115a by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
Japan Pentax MX Ilford Delta 400 093a by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
Japan Pentax MX Ilford Delta 400 079a by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
Japan Pentax MX Ilford Delta 400 075a by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
Japan Pentax MX Ilford Delta 400 068a by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
Japan Pentax MX Ilford Delta 400 056a by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
Japan Pentax MX Ilford Delta 400 037a by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
Japan Pentax MX Ilford Delta 400 073a by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
Japan Pentax MX Ilford Delta 400 036a by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
Japan Pentax MX Ilford Delta 400 032a by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
Japan Pentax MX Ilford Delta 400 017a by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses