Pentax MX 1

philstaff

Link Posted 13/01/2015 - 17:29
Could any one owning the camera let me know there thoughts re this camera good or bad.
Regards Ian

johnriley

Link Posted 13/01/2015 - 17:31
It's a fantastic camera, beautifully made and delivering excellent images. There are quite a few MX-1 users on here now, and all saying the same.
Best regards, John

AndrewA

Link Posted 13/01/2015 - 17:51
johnriley wrote:
It's a fantastic camera, beautifully made and delivering excellent images. There are quite a few MX-1 users on here now, and all saying the same.

Agree completely
Andrew

"I'm here because the whiskey is free" - Tyla

PPG link
Flickr link

spinno

Link Posted 13/01/2015 - 17:53
johnriley wrote:

no I'm not... for a compact it's very good
David

bwlchmawr

Link Posted 13/01/2015 - 19:50
I thought it was over-priced when it was introduced but I was wrong. I waited for the price to fall below 200 which seemed fair for what is a not very well designed compact with a tiny sensor. But, in truth, from the start it produced extraordinary images under a variety of conditions.

There's some witchcraft at work somewhere, I'm sure. It's a long way from perfect, too heavy, too big, quite ugly and downright frustrating in use at times. The tilting screen, which I thought a silly gimmick, really is a useful tool which I miss when using other cameras. The lens is vulnerable and unprotected but very sharp and can, under the right conditions, offer nice bokeh.

Get it back home, down load the files and you should be pleased. The results would no doubt be derided by those who hanker after full frame cameras but for those less discerning souls they're fine.

Here's one I took earlier this afternoon in Cheltenham...

Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05

col55555ine

Link Posted 13/01/2015 - 19:53
Great camera here Some images from Sheffield arena ant & dec show. small jpg's didn't need to process the raw files, happy with these results. also manual focus is great to use when needed...

k-5 IIs, Pentax 60-250, 17-70, 100macro WR, 50mm F2,
AF50 F1.4, Siggy 10-20, Siggy 100-300 F4, ..Pentax Af 160 ring flash

Aero

Link Posted 13/01/2015 - 20:40
I've sadly neglected my DSLRs since buying an MX-1. It's output is extraordinarily good, given the sensor size. I took some shots during the last night at my pub before it closed for good (sign of the times) and a photographer from a daily newspaper with full professional Nikon kit and powerful flash was also there to record the historic event.

I made A4 prints from my file and from his. There was no discernable different in IQ -- and i'd used the MX-l's built-in flash. I had to make a levels adjustment to subjects farthest from the camera but, at the end of the day, you couldn't tell which camera had been responsible for which print. Nuff said. Get one while you still can. As others have said, the MX-1 is a bit bulky and eccentricly designed, but you'll learn to love it.

Al

philstaff

Link Posted 13/01/2015 - 20:50
Thanks guys for the feed back pretty much as what I have listend to on the rev's on utube. Im torn between this and the Sony RX 100. However I think I would prefer the extra size of the MX. Unfortunatly there was not a Sony or pentax model in Currys today to try out.
Regards Ian

spinno

Link Posted 13/01/2015 - 21:11
You may struggle to find one in a shop as they're discontinued- not even available at Amazon.
Perhaps someone local to you may let you have a play
David

SteveLedger

Link Posted 13/01/2015 - 21:39
You only have to pick it up to know you want it.
It's my 'go to' camera for snaps and fun pics plus the video is better than the K-01/K-50 I have.

The macro mode is excellent (even for video)

SteveF

Link Posted 13/01/2015 - 22:09
+1 for pretty much all the praise above.

Mine is always with me, when I'm not carrying my DSLR kit.

I particularly like the tilting screen and the 1cm macro mode. The IQ is great.

philstaff

Link Posted 13/01/2015 - 22:31
spinno wrote:
You may struggle to find one in a shop as they're discontinued- not even available at Amazon.
Perhaps someone local to you may let you have a play

Does this meen an upgrade may be on the cards.

SteveLedger

Link Posted 13/01/2015 - 23:59
I believe the MX-1 was a one-off special model.
There's never been any indication or rumour that an MX-2 would ever appear. Besides, RICOH announced early last year that all new compacts will bear the name RICOH, not Pentax.

philstaff

Link Posted 14/01/2015 - 10:09
SteveLedger wrote:
I believe the MX-1 was a one-off special model.
There's never been any indication or rumour that an MX-2 would ever appear. Besides, RICOH announced early last year that all new compacts will bear the name RICOH, not Pentax.

That wouuld not put me off buying the camera under another brand name if it produced the goods and felt the same at hand.
Regards Ian

Offertonhatter

Link Posted 16/01/2015 - 21:50
It is an absolute cracker!
Build, tilt screen, supermacro, the LCD, image quality, handling,
So much so, my mother bought the last one at Jessops in Manchester, and she loves it too (a rare thing)
If there is a down side, it is the lack of hotshoe. But apart from that it is excellent and knocks my Panasonic LX-5 into a copped hat.
Some Cameras
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.