Pentax LX FA-1W viewfinder

bjolester

Link Posted 27/04/2021 - 11:58
I have recently purchased a nice late series Pentax LX. The camera came with the FA-1W viewfinder. I have read that the FA-1 viewfinder was the standard viewfinder for the LX. What is the difference between FA-1W and FA-1? Does the FA-1W command a higher price? What kind of tool is one meant to use when adjusting the diopter of the viewfinder (surely Pentax had a more advanced solution to this than an ordinary screwdriver...?)

I am thankful for any help about the FA-1W!
Bjørn

PPG
Flickr

LennyBloke

Link Posted 27/04/2021 - 13:26
There is a Pentax specific tool that was supplied (originally) to adjust the diopter screw.

I believe the only difference between the FA-1 and FA-1W is the wider range of diopter adjustment on the W version. And Yes, the FA-1W generally fetches more money
LennyBloke

Helpful

bjolester

Link Posted 27/04/2021 - 14:54
Thank you John! I am completely in the dark when it comes to the price level of LX viewfinders. How much should one expect to pay for "mint" (like new) versions of the FA-1 and of the FA-1W?
Bjørn

PPG
Flickr

LennyBloke

Link Posted 27/04/2021 - 15:34
bjolester wrote:
Thank you John! I am completely in the dark when it comes to the price level of LX viewfinders. How much should one expect to pay for "mint" (like new) versions of the FA-1 and of the FA-1W?

Not really followed their pricing for some time Bjørn, but I seem to remember FA-1's going for £40 to £70 - I would guess £60 - £90 for the W version. Hopefully another member or two will have had more recent experience and can chip in with some advice
LennyBloke

Helpful

womble

Link Posted 27/04/2021 - 17:29
I'd add a bit to Lenny's estimate for the FA-1W. In good condition I'd expect not to get change out of £100. The special tool for adjusting the dioptre is basically a plastic screw-driver...

I love the look of the FA-2, but the FA-1W is the more practical choice for my eyes.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Helpful

bjolester

Link Posted 27/04/2021 - 18:05
Thanks Kris! I probably paid a bit too much for the LX, but when calculating in the value of FA-1W (that was on the camera), I feel slightly better about the purchase

I have adjusted the diopter screw one time with a small flat screwdriver, but for the future I will look for something plastic for the job.

I have been lusting for the LX for many years, but have been telling myself that the KX and MX is all I need. While this is true (all I need), the LX feels like a completely new generation SLR, probably because of the "A" feature and the possibility of using many different viewfinders and focussing screens. I am looking very much forward to loading my first film in the LX
Bjørn

PPG
Flickr
Last Edited by bjolester on 27/04/2021 - 18:11

womble

Link Posted 27/04/2021 - 20:31
bjolester wrote:
Thanks Kris! I probably paid a bit too much for the LX, but when calculating in the value of FA-1W (that was on the camera), I feel slightly better about the purchase

I have adjusted the diopter screw one time with a small flat screwdriver, but for the future I will look for something plastic for the job.

I have been lusting for the LX for many years, but have been telling myself that the KX and MX is all I need. While this is true (all I need), the LX feels like a completely new generation SLR, probably because of the "A" feature and the possibility of using many different viewfinders and focussing screens. I am looking very much forward to loading my first film in the LX

As much as I like the MX, the LX is my favourite SLR. I try to rotate round the various bodies I have, but whenever I travel I take the LX and an MX. Enjoy. It is a lovely camera.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Helpful

bjolester

Link Posted 27/04/2021 - 21:46
By chance I became aware of a collection of old Pentax equipment price lists at FOVI, the main Pentax dealer here in Norway. In the price list from 1994, the FA-1W cost the equivalent of £670,-, nearly x 2.5 more than the FA-2 viewfinder. Today the FA-2 is very sought after and much more expensive than the FA-1W, at least that is my experience.

Look at the 1994 LX price, roughly the equivalent of £2000,-. In 1994 this was a lot of money.

Bjørn

PPG
Flickr

womble

Link Posted 27/04/2021 - 22:22
The FA-2 is much less common hence the higher price. I like the look though, it gives the LX a sleek Spotmatic-without-the-cold-shoe sort of look.

Do you have the FB-1/FC-1 combo? That's a nice set-up too but not very "packable" so I don't use it very often.
Kris Lockyear

My website

bjolester

Link Posted 27/04/2021 - 22:34
Yes, I also like the sleek Spotmatic look of the FA-2. I wouldn’t mind having the FA-2 in my future LX kit.

I have only been an LX owner for a few days, and have "just" the FA-1W finder. The MIR website has some good information about the LX system, also about the viewfinder combo you mention. There is a lot to learn about the LX system.
Bjørn

PPG
Flickr

LennyBloke

Link Posted 28/04/2021 - 07:21
The FA-2 does have a lovely, sleek look....

LennyBloke

bjolester

Link Posted 28/04/2021 - 07:36
Beautiful
Bjørn

PPG
Flickr

womble

Link Posted 28/04/2021 - 09:01
LennyBloke wrote:
The FA-2 does have a lovely, sleek look....

The big old A*85/1.4 on the front rather counteracts the sleekness of it though! (Me? Jealous? Never...)
Kris Lockyear

My website
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.