Pentax KM rocks (literally)
Posted 28/07/2009 - 08:47
Link
Sounds just the job for mountain biking then, glad you and the camera survived ok.
Must say you are very lucky living in such a great place to ride, in fact looking to visit your state myself, even got the guide book for Idaho
Although its sounds commercialised I intend to try out the disused railway trail that goes over the old trestles and through the tunnels, even looks like your city has a well laid out bike network too.
One question if you wouldn't mind ansering please, what's the bike theft rate like, not sure whether to bring my trusty old Merlin or hire something over there
Looking forward to it next summer, haven't got a Km, so reckon my K200D will have to suffice
Cheers
Rich
Must say you are very lucky living in such a great place to ride, in fact looking to visit your state myself, even got the guide book for Idaho
Although its sounds commercialised I intend to try out the disused railway trail that goes over the old trestles and through the tunnels, even looks like your city has a well laid out bike network too.
One question if you wouldn't mind ansering please, what's the bike theft rate like, not sure whether to bring my trusty old Merlin or hire something over there
Looking forward to it next summer, haven't got a Km, so reckon my K200D will have to suffice
Cheers
Rich
Posted 28/07/2009 - 09:10
Link
Get well soon VJ, sorry to hear about your misshap.
The fact that the K-m survived says something about the build!
As a side, you probably get better shots with your lenses because they're not optimised for the larger sensor on the K20d. I use manual lenses on my K200d (which has the same sensor) with good results, but my K110d gives better ones, that's a 6mp sensor!
The fact that the K-m survived says something about the build!
As a side, you probably get better shots with your lenses because they're not optimised for the larger sensor on the K20d. I use manual lenses on my K200d (which has the same sensor) with good results, but my K110d gives better ones, that's a 6mp sensor!
Cheers, HG
K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.
Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...
PPG entries.
K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.
Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...
PPG entries.
Posted 28/07/2009 - 11:38
Link
nilescrane wrote:
Are some Pentax APS sensors really larger than others? I assumed they are all of equal size
They're the same physical size but they have different pixel counts (so the individual pixels on the 6MP sensor are larger than those on the 14MP sensor)Are some Pentax APS sensors really larger than others? I assumed they are all of equal size
I'm not suprised the Km gave great results as it has the same sensor as the K10D, a camera I've never been less than delighted with
Joining the Q
Posted 28/07/2009 - 12:25
Link
Sorry about your accident, but good to hear that the KM performed well. I am still using an istDS and it does the business for now and is fine with older lenses.
Posted 28/07/2009 - 12:31
Link
Well I am glad to hear you and your camera survived the fall!
I bought my husband a K-m recently and to be honest I am actually jealous. It is such a nice size and takes fantastic photos. So much easier to carry around than the K20D. I do in all honesty sometimes regret getting the K20D - it is just to big for me. But the K-7 doesn't sound much smaller in reality, and I don't have the money for one any way.
We nearly made it into Idaho on our trip to the North west this spring, but in the end there was just so much to see and do in OR and WA that we never made it. Another time maybe.
I bought my husband a K-m recently and to be honest I am actually jealous. It is such a nice size and takes fantastic photos. So much easier to carry around than the K20D. I do in all honesty sometimes regret getting the K20D - it is just to big for me. But the K-7 doesn't sound much smaller in reality, and I don't have the money for one any way.
We nearly made it into Idaho on our trip to the North west this spring, but in the end there was just so much to see and do in OR and WA that we never made it. Another time maybe.
Posted 28/07/2009 - 13:18
Link
Glad you are OK James! The K-m certainly feels a tough and well built little unit (my eldest daughter has one) so I'm not so surprised it came away with a few scratches but still working
Oh and Gwyn the K-7 without the grip is very similarly sized to the K-m (hardly anything in it), I had them next to each other on my desk recently. Naturally weight wise there is a bit difference though with the K-7 feeling just a little shy of the K20D.
Oh and Gwyn the K-7 without the grip is very similarly sized to the K-m (hardly anything in it), I had them next to each other on my desk recently. Naturally weight wise there is a bit difference though with the K-7 feeling just a little shy of the K20D.
Posted 28/07/2009 - 21:16
Link
Thanks to everyone for all the well wishes. This is just a great forum! The object of my post, of course, was to point out the unique assets of the Pentax KM and it's toughness, not gain sympathy for my accident. But it just proves what a fantastic group of people are on this site.
Leytono: bike theft rate in Boise is very low. (Crime in general, is low) Just bring a good lock, of course. Bring your Merlin, if you can. The trails around here are awesome. Look me up when you come over. I'd be thrilled to show you around.
Leytono: bike theft rate in Boise is very low. (Crime in general, is low) Just bring a good lock, of course. Bring your Merlin, if you can. The trails around here are awesome. Look me up when you come over. I'd be thrilled to show you around.
Pentax K-5, Tamron 17-50, Tamron 70-300, Metz 50 AF-1 flash, and working on buying more lenses in the future. It never ends.
Posted 29/07/2009 - 08:40
Link
Thanks for the reply VJ, thought the crime rate might be low and would rather bring the old Merlin if I can, just got used to it over the years
That’s a very generous offer to show me round and I will certainly be in touch thanks.
Bought this book link has a fair bit of information and really whetted my appetite, did consider the usual Utah/Arizona destinations, but saw an article about Idaho and it seemed to have it all
Looks like loads of great photo opportunities and great riding, know the Hiawatha trail isn't really mountain biking, but looks too good to pass up
All the best, take care of yourself and the camera, hope to see you next summer.
Cheers
Rich
That’s a very generous offer to show me round and I will certainly be in touch thanks.
Bought this book link has a fair bit of information and really whetted my appetite, did consider the usual Utah/Arizona destinations, but saw an article about Idaho and it seemed to have it all
Looks like loads of great photo opportunities and great riding, know the Hiawatha trail isn't really mountain biking, but looks too good to pass up
All the best, take care of yourself and the camera, hope to see you next summer.
Cheers
Rich
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


103 posts
17 years
Boise,
Idaho USA
Anyway, I digress. I wanted the KM because it was a much smaller form factor, and I mountain bike a lot in the hills around where I live. I am able to safely and securely tuck that little puppy neatly in a bike knapsack on the handlebars. I can take, and have taken awesome pictures in the rugged back country with this sweet set-up. But yesterday, I was heading full steam down a rocky terrain path, when I took a dive, bike and all. The bag and camera actually took my full weight as I tumbled, and we both hit some rocks going down. I needed stitches in my face and arm. And the bag the camera was in was in sad shape, but the trusty little KM survived. It works perfectly, though a few scratches and smudges now.
Yeah, I know. I was lucky. Maybe. But I am totally thrilled with the Pentax KM, and would recommend it for the outdoorsman or sportsman who wants to take images wherever he goes, and doesn't want the weight of say a K20D. I certainly don't think he would compromise on picture quality.