Pentax k2000 - opinions?

giofi

Link Posted 04/07/2010 - 12:25
I saw a brand new K2000 in a local store today and they are selling it for 299e with the kit lens (250 GBP).

I am looking for a second body to have around for my family to use, and thought about something light and easy.

Do you have any experience with the camera and its performance? For the same price I could get a used K200D, which adds weather sealing, but it is a bit larger and heavier. (or wait and buy a K-x). Which way to go?
Giorgio

Pentax Photo Gallery
Last Edited by giofi on 04/07/2010 - 12:26

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 04/07/2010 - 12:54
I reckon that's a good price, and it's a great little camera. For family use, it would be ideal - but would the video mode in the k-x be worth paying a bit more for?
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

Anvh

Link Posted 04/07/2010 - 14:28
K2000 is imported camera from the USA since in the EU and Asia it's called the K-M so I don't know how that will work with warranty if you got one.

All in all the hardware in the K2000 is almost the same as the K200D but the K200D has weather sealing, top LCD screen, 11 AF focus points and AF focus point indication in the viewfinder so I would get the K200D just because it has more features.
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

Dangermouse

Link Posted 04/07/2010 - 14:53
I have one, I like it. It'd probably be a good one if your family includes people who need a simple point and shoot, as if you put it in green mode it just sorts everything out and produces very decent results.

I think if I was looking for a second body I would consider a K200D, the weather sealing does sound as though it'd make me a bit happier. I do a lot of outdoor shooting and it'd be nice not to have to worry about getting the camera wet. I chose the K-m as it was new, within budget, and had decent reviews.

I'm not sure about the video mode on the K-x, I have heard that video mode on DSLRs can harm the sensor if used for long periods?
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

Anvh

Link Posted 04/07/2010 - 15:20
Dangermouse wrote:
I'm not sure about the video mode on the K-x, I have heard that video mode on DSLRs can harm the sensor if used for long periods?

The sensor does wear and video will not have a positive effect on that but most likely you will have replaced your camera before you would see anything and the shutter would wear out first unless you only film with it.
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ

George Lazarette

Link Posted 04/07/2010 - 18:36
Anvh wrote:
Dangermouse wrote:

The sensor does wear...

We've had sensors in the consumer market since the first analogue camcorders, and that's nearly forty years.

In all that time I have never heard of a sensor wearing out. It is theoretically possible, but obsolescence is what causes people to buy new digital cameras, not worn-out sensors.

And dropping the darn things.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

Anvh

Link Posted 04/07/2010 - 19:22
Did some searching and CCD is a Bubble memory device and they are know not or hardly to wear so CCD might go on forever.

CMOS is something else and I could not find anything hard about that but if it's close to what is use with memory devices like an SD card then it's the oxide layer isolating the floating gate that will wear out over so many cycles till the point they stop isolating and you get some dead or hot pixels then.
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ

giofi

Link Posted 04/07/2010 - 21:20
Thanks to all, as always very useful comments, and some food for thought... I need to think about this, as I am not in any hurry.

I noticed that it is the one that used to be the US model, but the retailer is a very large local company, so it does definitely come from the official Pentax importer.

But yes, the choice is between simplicity and some more features on the K200D (or wait).

I am not that concerned about video mode, somehow I cannot see a DSRL used as a video camera.....

Giorgio
Giorgio

Pentax Photo Gallery

Anvh

Link Posted 04/07/2010 - 21:31
giofi wrote:
I noticed that it is the one that used to be the US model, but the retailer is a very large local company, so it does definitely come from the official Pentax importer.

That doesn't really matter it's a product intended for the USA market so selling it here (EU) would make it a grey product and I don't know how Pentax deal with that. You better contact Pentax before buying.
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ

giofi

Link Posted 04/07/2010 - 21:57
Stefan, you have a point and I would clarify that if I were to buy it. But what makes it a grey import is who imported it, not the product itself. So if for some reason Pentax is selling some old US stock to Europe, that does not make it a grey import.

Giorgio
Giorgio

Pentax Photo Gallery

George Lazarette

Link Posted 04/07/2010 - 22:06
giofi wrote:
Stefan, you have a point and I would clarify that if I were to buy it. But what makes it a grey import is who imported it, not the product itself. So if for some reason Pentax is selling some old US stock to Europe, that does not make it a grey import.

Giorgio

I think it is unlikely Pentax would sell a US product into Europe.

I suspect the store has purchased some old stock from America.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

helios

Link Posted 04/07/2010 - 22:13
If you intended buying it it would be wise to check that the accessories such as the charger and mains lead were suitable for the local market. USA runs on 110volts whereas Europe is 220/240.

Archie
Archie

terje-l

Link Posted 04/07/2010 - 22:43
The battery charger is universal, and takes any voltage from 100 to 240 Volts, so I wouldn't worry about that. And the mains lead is a standard device.
Best regards
Terry

K20D, Optio I10, DA 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 AL II, A 1:1.7/50, D FA 1:2.8/100 Macro, Sigma 70-300 1:4-5.6 APO DG Macro, Pentax AF 360FGZ

Dangermouse

Link Posted 05/07/2010 - 13:14
A K-m/K2000 wouldn't have a battery charger anyway - it runs on AAs!

Mine came with the camera, 18-55mm, manual, a CD of software, assorted bits of paper and the USB cable.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

giofi

Link Posted 07/07/2010 - 09:31
I did do some further investigation and also contacted the official Pentax importer in Finland. Here's the answer:

Dear Giorgio,

Thank you for your message. Yes these K2000 cameras at Stockmann have been imported through us, Finland’s official importer of Pentax cameras. No problems with the warranty. You always have to save your receipt and warranty card if any problems occur.

Have a nice summer!

Ystävällisin terveisin / Best Regards

I still have not decided if I buy it, though
Giorgio

Pentax Photo Gallery
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.