Pentax K2 worth CLA?

bjolester

Link Posted 11/04/2015 - 20:18
Last week I purchased a mint condition Pentax K2 for about GBP 20,- The reason for the low price was that the shutter is not working, or more precisely it is very slow and often gets stuck. The K2 is a beautiful camera, but the shutter design does seem a bit fragile. The cloth shutter in my Spotmatic or KX seems much more robust. In fact, the metal shutter makes me think twice about sending the K2 to Harrow Technical for a complete service (cla). I have previously used Harrow Tech for servicing my MX and KX, and know they do a wonderful job with Pentax film cameras. Do any of you have experience with the K2 and especially shutter reliability? Does it make sense to invest in a rather costly CLA for the K2?

I am grateful for any advice!
Bjørn

PPG
Flickr

johnriley

Link Posted 11/04/2015 - 20:36
It's a lovely camera, so if it's otherwise in great condition I'd be very tempted to have it fixed.

The only real problem might be a lack of spares. The shutter is a well respected design and I doubt that it's a weaknesss as such, hopefully just needs a clean and recalibration.
Best regards, John

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 12/04/2015 - 09:06
I have two K2s which don't function very well. It's a camera that doesn't seem to age as well as others, jamming up inside.

I've decided to send both of mine for CLAs because they are lovely to use.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

bjolester

Link Posted 12/04/2015 - 11:56
Thank you both for good advice! I will most probably send my K2 off for a complete overhaul in the near future.
Bjørn

PPG
Flickr

johnha

Link Posted 12/04/2015 - 23:50
I have a black K2 in beautiful condition but with a shutter problem - it always shoots (in manual or auto) at the mechanical speed (1/125th I guess). The shutter is timed electronically so the fault could be either the shutter or the control circuitry. I've spoken to Harrow Technical in the past - who explained if the problem is with the shutter, it requires a new shutter but they didn't have any spares. They did offer to look at it when I sent my LX in for repair, but it sounded unlikely they could repair it so I didn't follow it up.

The legendary 'Eric' mentioned on the US forum might be another option - although sending a camera to the US for repair is unlikely to be cost effective.
PPG Flickr

bjolester

Link Posted 13/04/2015 - 08:26
Thank you John! Eric Hendrickson in the USA could possibly be a person to contact. But, as you also point out, a CLA could end up quite costly. Here in Norway one even has to pay 25% tax of the repair done abroad. So this on top of postage to the USA, pluss the CLA itself - well I have to think about this.

I already have a KX that has been CLA'd at Harrow Technical and a fully working Spotmatic that I changed the light seals and mirror bumper on myself. I do not really need another 35mm film body, except that the K2 is such a beautiful camera. I wonder what it is like to shoot with one
Bjørn

PPG
Flickr

ChrisPlatt

Link Posted 13/04/2015 - 15:32
The Pentax K2 is attractive but I never use mine. I also owned the K2DMD but sold that one.
The K2DMD adds AE lock, in-finder aperture display and "motor drive" (only 2 fps) capability.

The K2/K2DMD film speed setting/exposure compensation rings are truly a design from hell.

Chris
Bring back the latent image!

bjolester

Link Posted 13/04/2015 - 20:28
Thank you Chris! The ASA ring on my K2 is quite easy to move and adjust, but I agree that the design is best forgotten.

Do you know how the metal shutter in the K2 behaves in cold weather conditions. I have used both my 67ii and an MX in temperatures below minus 10 degrees celsius, and they perform faultlessly. Both of these cameras employ very robust cloth shutters, and are very reliable.
Bjørn

PPG
Flickr

ChrisPlatt

Link Posted 13/04/2015 - 20:53
I cannot report reliability of the K2/K2DMD as I don't recall using them in such conditions.
In cold weather I normally opt for a body with mechanical shutter rather than a battery-dependent electronic shutter.

Chris

bjolester

Link Posted 13/04/2015 - 21:17
ChrisPlatt wrote:
I cannot report reliability of the K2/K2DMD as I don't recall using them in such conditions.
In cold weather I normally opt for a body with mechanical shutter rather than a battery-dependent electronic shutter.

Chris

Thank you again. One of the most important planned areas of usage for my 35mm film cameras is cold weather, and both my KX and MX are eminently suitable for such tasks. Maybe I should look for another KX instead of sending the K2 for a potentially very expensive CLA
Bjørn

PPG
Flickr
Last Edited by bjolester on 13/04/2015 - 21:18

ChrisPlatt

Link Posted 14/04/2015 - 00:36
The K2 is nice but I always grab one of my KX bodies instead.
I now own three; two silver and one black.

Chris
Last Edited by ChrisPlatt on 14/04/2015 - 00:37
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.