Pentax K1000

MikeyJay

Link Posted 06/10/2012 - 17:45
Guess who is due to become an owner of one of these babies next week?

Am I happy or what?
It's not about the equipment; it's the results you achieve with it.

womble

Link Posted 08/10/2012 - 21:05
I hope it is a good'un. Surprisingly, given my excess of Pentax film cameras, this isn't one I have. I'm trying to not add any more to the family at the moment until I have got the ones I have serviced and fighting fit.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

johnha

Link Posted 14/10/2012 - 23:14
I bought one a few months ago because I wanted a camera I could take anywhere without having to worry about it. I also wanted something to take the load off my MX. Have to say both of mine (I bought another later) are good 'uns and I now prefer them to the MX (which is suddenly too small!).
PPG Flickr

Dobson

Link Posted 16/10/2012 - 13:59
This camera is a no brainer, simple and quick.
I've lost count on how many years I have owned mine.
I just wish Pentax would come up with a manual digital "RAW" DSLR, without a menu to plod through, and leave us photographers to get on with the shot.
Dobson

co049

Link Posted 16/10/2012 - 21:25
Dobson wrote:
I just wish Pentax would come up with a manual digital "RAW" DSLR, without a menu to plod through, and leave us photographers to get on with the shot.
Dobson

Me too, a basic DSLR which takes a 'K' mount manual lens would be great.
Quote:

Chris,

Pentax K1ii, K3, K-m & MX-1.
Pentax LX, MX, ME Super & MV.
"Old Skool" with the new!

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 17/10/2012 - 10:02
Of course you can always switch your camera to RAW, manual focus, and M mode and then avoid plodding through the menu on any Pentax DSLR... if you want!
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

co049

Link Posted 17/10/2012 - 19:44
Pentaxophile wrote:
Of course you can always switch your camera to RAW, manual focus, and M mode and then avoid plodding through the menu on any Pentax DSLR... if you want!

True, and I use my K-r like that but I'd like a FF sensor to make the most of the 35mm film lenses I have instead of the cropped sensor the K-r has.

The view finder of the K-r is not as bright or big as the 35mm film cameras so focusing the manual lenses is not as easy.

Pentax K-r in manual with 300mm SMC F4
Chris,

Pentax K1ii, K3, K-m & MX-1.
Pentax LX, MX, ME Super & MV.
"Old Skool" with the new!

Horst

Link Posted 18/10/2012 - 04:10
Quote:
Dobson

Exactly my sentiments. I could be quite inexpensive and one could drag it around without having to worry to much if it gets a scratch or ding.
Manual focussing and a split screen viewfinder.

I would fit my SMC-A 35-70 and thats it.

Regards, Horst

K2000

Link Posted 27/04/2013 - 12:26
Horst wrote:
Quote:
Dobson

Exactly my sentiments. I could be quite inexpensive and one could drag it around without having to worry to much if it gets a scratch or ding.
Manual focussing and a split screen viewfinder.

I would fit my SMC-A 35-70 and thats it.

Regards, Horst

Now that's an idea. Yes. Bought myself a K1000 new from Comet around 1977 with my part time shelf stacking money (was still at school). Cut my photographic teeth on it. Excellent no frills camera (like many others of course) which makes you think what you're doing

MikeyJay

Link Posted 14/05/2013 - 20:41
Recently collared a P30T for £20! And an SMC Pentax A 28-70mm for the sane amount of wonga - I am chuffed!
It's not about the equipment; it's the results you achieve with it.

pauljay

Link Posted 17/06/2013 - 06:23
Got a working K1000 in the collection which was passed on to me by a friend - for free! Haven't used it myself yet but the daughter has successfully run a couple of films through it. It seems that every time you mention the K1000 somebody reacts with "I learnt on that" or "we had those at college"! It'll have to wait its turn to get used though!
Paul.

Photography is not a sport. It has no rules. Everything must be dared and tried! (Bill Brandt)
PPG

Mongoose

Link Posted 15/07/2013 - 23:39
I haven't put a roll through my K1000 in ages. It has been out a couple of times though, I take it with me to weddings of friends and familly as my "when everything else has gone to *expletive deleted* , in sunny 16 we trust" camera.

Nothing short of a nuclear strike will stop that shutter going off.
you don't have to be mad to post here

but it does help
Last Edited by Mongoose on 15/07/2013 - 23:40

DrOrloff

Link Posted 15/07/2013 - 23:53
I have just acquired one myself. The intention is to use it for star trails. None of those battery running out problems!

And yes, I agree with the other sentiments. A raw only digital, nice big view with split prism manual focus and manual everything else. That would be just dandy.
You can see some of my photos here if you are so inclined
Last Edited by DrOrloff on 15/07/2013 - 23:56

Mongoose

Link Posted 17/07/2013 - 20:51
Whilst I agree with the idea of some sort of digital MX, what we have to realise is that such a camera would probably have to be quite expensive. It more or less has to be full frame and that sensor alone is going to make it more expensive than a K5. Then you've got to start making what is now a non standard version of the mount. All this for a model which isn't going to sell in large volume and can't use most of the current lens line-up so wont drive accessory sales either.

It's a lovely idea but drastically unlikely and if it did happen it would be in the ~£2000 bracket imo.

Dear Pentax, please prove me wrong!
you don't have to be mad to post here

but it does help

Horst

Link Posted 18/07/2013 - 13:24
Quote:
Then you've got to start making what is now a non standard version of the mount.

Why would you have to use a non standard mount?

You could either use the existing mount with all the contacts and just don't internally connect the contacts or just eliminate the contacts altogether.
You could use all the existing lenses if you copy the open aperture metering system used from the K1000 onwards. If you want to use screw lenses, you just have to do what you do now, set the lens to manual and use an adaptor. Ok, the purists may have a problem with some of the current lenses, only made for the APS sensor size. However Pentax could also release a new set of lenses to fit the new and of course existing earlier cameras.
The lens could have all the contacts, but they are just not used.

I would say, this could be an interesting camera, as long as it kept the TTL metering and maybe the TTL flash.

Regards, Horst
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.