Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Pentax K 85mm f1.8 Initial Impressions

DrOrloff
Posted 10/10/2012 - 16:26 Link
I've started trying out this lens and I think it is absolutely stunning. It will take me a while to get used to it and to get the best from it, but it is clearly a thing of beauty and hugely promising. My new best value for money lens. My top three best value lenses are now all K series and buy a wide margin. Some first shots, all hand held so will get better even better sharpness once it's on the tripod:

A bog standard portrait, but the lens has a gentle touch:

Comment Image

Wide open, the subject pops out nicely:

Comment Image

No CA:

Comment Image

I really like how it performs on landscapes, there is just so much detail in the trees and rocks.

Comment Image
davidstorm
Posted 10/10/2012 - 20:52 Link
Great stuff Dr. O, I am a firm supporter of the older glass and I don't think it can be beaten for IQ. There is something special about the way these lenses render images, especially skin tones. I don't have a K series yet, but I will continue looking for the right ones and would love to own a couple.

I've recnetly acquired a Pentax-M 50mm F1.4 which has a similar special quality, although it's probably not quite in the same league as your 'K's'.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
sorted78
Posted 10/10/2012 - 21:01 Link
Quote:
I've started trying out this lens and I think it is absolutely stunning

They're excellent shots, I particularly like the portrait and sweet chestnut.

I was lucky enough to get my K85 a couple of years ago and think that it's probably my favourite lens.

There's something special about the rendering that I can't quite put my finger on, but for portraits between f/2.8 and f/4, I've yet to find anything I prefer.

I'd be interested to hear how your FA77 fares in comparison (as per the other thread). If it wasn't for the AF and small size, I think mine might be in trouble.
DrOrloff
Posted 10/10/2012 - 21:24 Link
I will do a proper comparison in due course taking the same shots with both lenses. Not one of those chart thingies but how I get on with real images. It may take me quite some time though, that way I'll have to hang on to both lenses. I have no doubt already though that the K85 is the better value for money. Obviously it all depends on what you paid, but for me the 77 is no way 4.6 times better lens than the 85. I hope to build up a K series of bargains as a team of supersubs if ever I have to sell off the newer lenses. Plus I like to have a day every now and again when I just use manual lenses, sort of reinvigorates me.
womble
Posted 11/10/2012 - 15:50 Link
I rather like my M85/M although on paper it isn't supposed to be as nice as the K. I just didn't ever see a K at a price I could afford...

Lovely images, BTW.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
GaryJarvis
Posted 11/10/2012 - 18:31 Link
Great Images, I particularly like the portrait (the eyes are beautiful) and the landscape.
kingfisher
Posted 13/10/2012 - 17:33 Link
Very nice lens indeed...here's one of my pics taken with 85/1.8, although not the best one from that lens ....i just uploaded the first I could find in my photoarchive ....

Comment Image

DrOrloff wrote:
I hope to build up a K series of bargains as a team of supersubs if ever I have to sell off the newer lenses. Plus I like to have a day every now and again when I just use manual lenses, sort of reinvigorates me.

K series lens lineup is nice idea, currently I have only K20/4 and K85 with K30/2.8 on its way, but I'm more than happy with their performance if I get exposure and focus right.
Edited by kingfisher: 13/10/2012 - 17:43
Smeggypants
Posted 13/10/2012 - 23:37 Link
Very nice indeed
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
dcweather
Posted 16/10/2012 - 09:54 Link
I agree with the above, they and other older manual lenses have something special that are not easily measured in a lab.
Adrian - I wonder what it would be like on your "Q" at 585mm?
Dave
rparmar
Posted 19/10/2012 - 21:16 Link
dcweather wrote:
I agree with the above, they and other older manual lenses have something special that are not easily measured in a lab.

MTF curves tell a lot, plus there are other metrics. Then problem is that Pentax does not provide these and no-one out there (as far as I know) has consistently made independent measurements.

It seems to me these older lenses, like some Leica glass I've looked at, have significantly lower microcontrast than contemporary lenses. This smooths out fine detail, an effect that especially suits portraiture (and vegetation).

Others may have a different opinion. In any case, nice shots!
Listen to my albums free on BandCamp. Or visit my main website for links to photography, etc.
DrOrloff
Posted 19/10/2012 - 21:46 Link
My experience of the K35f3.5, K55f1.8 and K85f1.8, a collection that cost me less than the price of a new DAL35f2.4, is that the level of detail in those old lenses is very impressive indeed. It's difficult to compare as you would need to know what the lenses would cost if produced today. It's not just a case of inflation adjusting prices as consumer goods prices relative to wages has changed. But my guess is I would conclude the opposite for my beloved K's. I wonder how a DAL35 would stand up to 35 years of use.
rparmar
Posted 20/10/2012 - 12:18 Link
Definitely the build quality of the Taks and K and M lenses beat what is available today. Also not forgetting the FA Limiteds. If only Pentax would fix the crippled the mount, these would be very handy lenses indeed. Until then I suggest trying them on an Olympus PEN body, stabilised and with auto-exposure. Fun!
Listen to my albums free on BandCamp. Or visit my main website for links to photography, etc.
womble
Posted 20/10/2012 - 13:38 Link
I use my Taks with Av mode and stabilised on my K20D... I'd be really happy if the metering with the K series lenses could be better. Luckily I rarely photograph things that move quickly.

Meanwhile, my K20D hasn't been used in two or three weeks while I have been shooting with my ME-F with AF35-70 lens, my SV, a Yashicamat 124G and a Agfa Isolette II. The latter I just picked up from a charity shop and am hoping the shutter is vaguely accurate and the bellows aren't full of pinholes.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
davidstorm
Posted 20/10/2012 - 13:45 Link
womble wrote:
I use my Taks with Av mode and stabilised on my K20D... I'd be really happy if the metering with the K series lenses could be better.

Kris, could you please explain what you mean by 'stabilised'? I may be a bit thick here, please excuse my ignorance.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
womble
Posted 20/10/2012 - 13:47 Link
I just mean I have the SR (shake reduction) turned on. As long as you remember to set the focal length when you change lenses it works very well. (I was only making the point that one doesn't need to use an Olympus Pen for those functions.)

K.
Kris Lockyear

My website
Edited by womble: 20/10/2012 - 13:48

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.