Pentax K-1 Reviews
Posted 07/07/2016 - 09:44
Link
petrochemist wrote:
You say these are just firmware issues but perhaps the processing power is simply not available to carry them out with video...
Perhaps they should ask the Pentax Engineers from 2009/2010 how they did it with the K-x, K-7 and K-5 models?You say these are just firmware issues but perhaps the processing power is simply not available to carry them out with video...
I can't know the specifics of why they haven't improved, be that engineering, resourcing, internal budgeting or other.
What I do know though is every other camera manufacturer can make this work now.
As others are moving to 4k, Pentax will be moving to catch up to higher quality 1080p. Focus peaking and achieving sensor stabilisation during video, plus a higher bitrate mode would suit me just fine. They may have sorted the audio levels display already, I haven't used a K-3 with the mic input so can't say.
Posted 07/07/2016 - 09:53
Link
Meanwhile, back at the thread's purpose...
ePHOTOzine gives it five stars for everything.
The only things they didn't like were : auto white balance could be better, no built in flash-unit, USB 2 / UHS-I (not 3 and II respectively) and slow live view shutter response and focus
And it wasn't even John Riley doing the review!
ePHOTOzine gives it five stars for everything.
The only things they didn't like were : auto white balance could be better, no built in flash-unit, USB 2 / UHS-I (not 3 and II respectively) and slow live view shutter response and focus
And it wasn't even John Riley doing the review!
SteveH!
Some people call me 'strange'.
I prefer 'unconventional'.
But I'm willing to compromise and accept 'eccentric'.
Some people call me 'strange'.
I prefer 'unconventional'.
But I'm willing to compromise and accept 'eccentric'.
Posted 07/07/2016 - 09:59
Link
Pretty stunning first attempt for Pentax
Posted 07/07/2016 - 14:40
Link
Aitch53 wrote:
Meanwhile, back at the thread's purpose...
the threads purpose was to discus the camera review and one of the issues is video.Meanwhile, back at the thread's purpose...
I didn't write to give an opinion on the review, but to discuss one of the camera's shortcomings which is mentioned in the review.
also, the reason I shoot pentax today was becuase in the 80's the yearbook and photography club in my old highschool had Pentax k1000's (the volkswagen bug of cameras) for students to learn on, and today... every kid in highschool and post secondary who is learning film making and photography is buying Canon and Nikon.
Pentax isn't thinking, niche market nor their roots in northamerica they are only paying attention to core users in japan, and maybe some of you guys on this forum... not the rest of us and the market opportunities to grow the brand back to where it once was..
Posted 07/07/2016 - 19:43
Link
D0n wrote:
also the reason I shoot pentax today was becuase in the 80's the yearbook and photography club in my old highschool had Pentax k1000's (the volkswagen bug of cameras) for students to learn on, and today... every kid in highschool and post secondary who is learning film making and photography is buying Canon and Nikon.
Pentax isn't thinking, niche market nor their roots in northamerica they are only paying attention to core users in japan, and maybe some of you guys on this forum... not the rest of us and the market opportunities to grow the brand back to where it once was..
Very good points D0n!
also the reason I shoot pentax today was becuase in the 80's the yearbook and photography club in my old highschool had Pentax k1000's (the volkswagen bug of cameras) for students to learn on, and today... every kid in highschool and post secondary who is learning film making and photography is buying Canon and Nikon.
Pentax isn't thinking, niche market nor their roots in northamerica they are only paying attention to core users in japan, and maybe some of you guys on this forum... not the rest of us and the market opportunities to grow the brand back to where it once was..
Posted 10/07/2016 - 00:45
Link
jemx99 wrote:
Very good points D0n!
here's the deal... Pentax ignores video.. so I have six SONY cameras for video BUT four awesome pentax lenses I don't have becuase I spent the money on SONY products.. Very good points D0n!
that is the PAST...
in a month I'm dropping over four grand on some newer video gear to replace broken and obsolete SONY gear..
I'm ordering a BlackMagic Designs micro cinema cam, a panasonic micro 4/3's body, two lenses, and an external monitor and accessories to upgrade my video services for an upcoming project... total cost? just a lil
more than the cost of the Pentax k-1 and 70-200 I will NOT be buying, but COULD have bought IF the k-1 had decent video specs like it's Nikon counterpart!!!
eventually I'm going to leave Pentax I can't afford to keep up multiple systems and buying redundant lenses!
images from my k3 recently got published in Russia and the uk, but I can't justify buying more pentax at this time.
let's be honest here I HATE SONY. I hate that they gouge their own customers on proprietary batteries and accessories between their OWN cameras and this PREVENTS a user from building a decent system without having to buy multiple batteries and lenses for EACH body for different uses.. the switch to BMD means micro 4/3's AND eventually canon batteries and metabones 4/3 to canon lenses and Canon cinema lenses for the ursa system and up... so if all my new lenses and video cameras are going to be Canon... guess what d-slrs I'll have to buy later on if I continue to offer video and still imaging services?
Canon and Panasonic! not pentax!
Pentax is FORCING me to leave the brand! and I have been shooting pentax for thirty years!
I'm a little pissed that they can't put decent video specs into ONE model to reward me for my loyalty and allow me to use all the existing lenses and gear I own to shoot some decent video for filmmaking projects! the go-pro is a $450.00 camera with decent pro video specs, surely pentax can do something to reward me for my two k-1ooo's, me, mx me super, mz5, mz5n, ds2, kx, 2 k10's, kr, and two k3's plus dozens of lenses batteries, accessories flash units, ring flashes and other gear I bought over the years!
Posted 10/07/2016 - 09:30
Link
Unlike Sony, Pentax has never been a video brand. If video is your thing then you would gravitate to manufacturers with a similar interest; Ricoh have clearly identified the core strengths of the Pentax brand and sought to develop on that in product development and marketing, with a unique edge in weather-resistance and robustness across the range. Maybe they will surprise us one day but I really like what they are doing for the high quality stills market.
Posted 10/07/2016 - 11:46
Link
RobL wrote:
Pentax has never been a video brand. If video is your thing then you would gravitate to manufacturers with a similar interest
But if Pentax can implement simple changes to software etc as Richard mentions above then why not do it? ( Of course I'm no manufacturing expert and it might not be so simple).
Pentax has never been a video brand. If video is your thing then you would gravitate to manufacturers with a similar interest
Posted 10/07/2016 - 12:47
Link
The simple and cost effective changes should certainly be implemented. By cost effective I mean that pay for themselves in increased sales and profit.
The video functions in DSLRs mostly latch onto existing technology inherent in the sensor and physical design, so there should be no compromise involved or reduction in any still image capabilities.
The video functions in DSLRs mostly latch onto existing technology inherent in the sensor and physical design, so there should be no compromise involved or reduction in any still image capabilities.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Posted 10/07/2016 - 12:49
Link
It took Pentax thirteen years to introduce a FF DSLR from the launch date of the *istD. I think the K-7 was their first DSLR with video launched in 2009 so give it time for them to introduce top end video in their DSLR's.
A lot of us previously expressed dismay at Pentax for not introducing a FF body. It was all wasted time if you sat and waited without using alternative systems.
Life can pass you bye if you let it. We all have choices. Yes the cost comes into it and that often controls our actions but not our desires.
At the moment, it is what is is and it really is a waste to fret over non existent functions or quality of the function.
It was not too far back that image noise was an issue for some. It was addressed as I'm sure the video functionality will be.
Best regards
A lot of us previously expressed dismay at Pentax for not introducing a FF body. It was all wasted time if you sat and waited without using alternative systems.
Life can pass you bye if you let it. We all have choices. Yes the cost comes into it and that often controls our actions but not our desires.
At the moment, it is what is is and it really is a waste to fret over non existent functions or quality of the function.
It was not too far back that image noise was an issue for some. It was addressed as I'm sure the video functionality will be.
Best regards
Too far from a shore.
Posted 10/07/2016 - 15:18
Link
RobL wrote:
Unlike Sony, Pentax has never been a video brand. If video is your thing then you would gravitate to manufacturers with a similar interest; Ricoh have clearly identified the core strengths of the Pentax brand and sought to develop on that in product development and marketing, with a unique edge in weather-resistance and robustness across the range. Maybe they will surprise us one day but I really like what they are doing for the high quality stills market.
did you say never? Unlike Sony, Pentax has never been a video brand. If video is your thing then you would gravitate to manufacturers with a similar interest; Ricoh have clearly identified the core strengths of the Pentax brand and sought to develop on that in product development and marketing, with a unique edge in weather-resistance and robustness across the range. Maybe they will surprise us one day but I really like what they are doing for the high quality stills market.
when you drive away a customer that has been loyal for over thirty years you're making a mistake.
Pentax video camera
Posted 10/07/2016 - 15:32
Link
Somehow I wonder whether Pentax would ever think that a customer who's been with the brand for 30 years would ever want more sophisticated video features ?!?
I think the marketing to and understanding of target audience can get very skewed now indeed. I think that Pentax most likely DO think they are catering to the long term brand user.
Most of the feedback from a site like this suggests that's true for the vast majority .... It makes no difference how many times this is discussed and the obvious stated over and over again ... It always comes back to the same point for so many ...'horses for courses, get the right tool for the job' etc etc etc .
I think the marketing to and understanding of target audience can get very skewed now indeed. I think that Pentax most likely DO think they are catering to the long term brand user.
Most of the feedback from a site like this suggests that's true for the vast majority .... It makes no difference how many times this is discussed and the obvious stated over and over again ... It always comes back to the same point for so many ...'horses for courses, get the right tool for the job' etc etc etc .
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Posted 12/07/2016 - 12:04
Link
Has no-one commented on the somewhat miraculous outcome of the Practical Photography test of High-res cameras????
I nearly died of
I nearly died of
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff
Posted 13/07/2016 - 03:20
Link
McGregNi wrote:
Somehow I wonder whether Pentax would ever think that a customer who's been with the brand for 30 years would ever want more sophisticated video features ?!?
It's interesting to consider that video from DSLR's started around 2008/2009 and Pentax was right in there with the k-7. k-x and k-5 cameras, all featuring sensor stabilisation during video. Pentax was well in the video game, and has been in it right from the early years of DSLR video. Video is not new to Pentax, it's been with us for as long as video has been an option on DSLR's.
Somehow I wonder whether Pentax would ever think that a customer who's been with the brand for 30 years would ever want more sophisticated video features ?!?
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


1001 posts
16 years
Essex
Why do you pick a Pentax DSLR over a point and shoot or cell phone?
The answers to that question are typically why I want to pick a Pentax for video. Outside of the stills only features, such as pixel shift/ HDR modes, the Pentax offers a rugged body with weather sealing, great image quality, focus peaking, sensor shift stabilisation and interchangeable lenses. Why limit the maximum use of that to stills only?
In stills processing can take 1/10s per shot without being detrimental to camera use. For video you can't take more than 1/30s because the next frame is underway...
.
Pentax:K5ii, K7, K100D, DA18-55, DA10-17, DA55-300, DA50-200, F100-300, F50, DA35 AL, 4* M50, 2* M135, Helicoid extension, Tak 300 f4 (& 6 film bodies)
3rd Party: Bigmos (Sigma 150-500mm OS HSM),2* 28mm, 100mm macro, 28-200 zoom, 35-80 zoom, 80-200 zoom, 80-210 zoom, 300mm M42, 600 mirror, 1000-4000 scope, 50mm M42, enlarger lenses, Sony & micro 4/3 cameras with various PK mounts, Zenit E...
Far to many tele-converters, adapters, project parts & extension tubes etc.
.[size=11:].Flickr• WPF• Panoramio