Pentax k-1 Backscreen Issue

Posted 17/11/2016 - 21:13 Link
davidstorm wrote:
My take on this is the same as Mike P's. Pentax have never advertised their cameras as waterproof, so if any part of it got submerged, which it appears it did, this is completely different to taking it out in the rain. Good luck with your Pentax case, please let us know how you get on.

Regards
David
Hi David, I would like to know what you understand by this sentence on Pentax UK's Page :

"Temperature: -10°C ~ 40°C (14°F ~104°F)
Humidity: 85% or less (no condensation)
Dust and Water protected: 87 Sealings protecting camera against Dust, Rain and Spraywater. Camera is not water protected.
"

The following is the link to the quote: http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.uk/en/digital-slr/specifications/group/6/PENTAX-K-1-DSLR.html

Regards
Owner of:

a Pentax *istDL
2 Pentax K5
a Pentax K-3
a Pentax 645D
a Pentax K-1
JAK
Posted 18/11/2016 - 00:02 Link
To me it's saying it is not an underwater camera like the Optio WG's but can cope with rain and spraywater (I know I'm not David!) Have you checked your household insurance yet or put it in the airing cupboard to start drying out?
It's a bit like waterproof watches. Once they've been opened to change a battery they're not usually waterproof any more.
Given you mention your watch getting wet too, did you fall in? If so, could you have knocked the camera on something somehow? You haven't really given any details. If so, perhaps there's physical damage. We don't know!
You can't really blame Pentax for your mistake though given sight of some of those videos of Pentax's being washed it does seem you've been unlucky. Given the camera still basically works I can't see why its dangly screen cannot be replaced if that's all that's wrong. If it isn't otherwise damaged, give it time and see if it recovers.
There's a nearly new second hand one here for £1400: https://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Used/Pentax-K-1-Body-Only-Just-100-actuations_165522....
John K
Edited by JAK: 18/11/2016 - 00:22
johnriley
Posted 18/11/2016 - 00:04 Link
The K-1 is definitely not marketed as waterproof. The WG series are waterproof cameras and they can be submerged down to specified depths for specified times.

The DSLRs are weather resistant. They can resist rain, sleet, snow, etc. and also low temperatures to -10C. But resistant is not weather proof, nor is it waterproof. Some other manufacturers describe it as moisture and dust resistant, able to resist splashes.
Best regards, John
fatspider
Posted 18/11/2016 - 01:05 - Helpful Comment Link
First thing I would have tried would be drying it out as a couple of posts above suggest, you could always try sealing it in a bag with some dried rice or the crystals used in moisture traps (make sure the latter doesn't actually come in contact with the camera)

I would also be very interested to hear JPS explain why they wanted to keep the camera, sounds rather suspicious to me.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
Mag07
Posted 18/11/2016 - 09:06 - Helpful Comment Link
There is a gentleman in one of the K1 Facebook groups who dropped his camera on concrete and damaged the shell quite badly. He was quoted 550USD for replacing the whole of outer shell. Now, I imagine, it's impossible to replace without dismantling the screen. All this talk from the Pentax rep doesn't make much sense.
'Photography...it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten....' (Aaron Siskind)
robert52
Posted 18/11/2016 - 10:36 - Helpful Comment Link
Sounds suss they want to keep the camera & give you nothing. But also make me laugh when people damage items ie drop them or such & thing it be covered by warranty , like saying I have a 2 month old car hit a pole & now I want Ford or such to fix / replace the car because of my fault
McGregNi
Posted 18/11/2016 - 10:53 Link
Absolutely, gosh, if I ever got a K1 I think I would be so careful and worried about it that I wouldn't ever take it out of the camera bag, perhaps just occasionally to place it on a very soft bed to have a look at it and perhaps give a gentle wipe with a non abrasive cloth on the body surface.

Tongue back out of cheek now .... I can't understand your confusion over that quote you gave above .... It clearly states that the camera is dust, rain and splash proof, and not waterproof (ie 'not waterprotected').

I accept that some marketing might convey a mixed message to some people not familiar, but a little research should clarify the construction and limitations of the camera body. For the price the K1 offers an extraordinary level of strength, solidity and protection from the elements.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Edited by McGregNi: 18/11/2016 - 11:01
Posted 18/11/2016 - 12:34 Link
McGregNi wrote:
Absolutely, gosh, if I ever got a K1 I think I would be so careful and worried about it that I wouldn't ever take it out of the camera bag, perhaps just occasionally to place it on a very soft bed to have a look at it and perhaps give a gentle wipe with a non abrasive cloth on the body surface.

Tongue back out of cheek now .... I can't understand your confusion over that quote you gave above .... It clearly states that the camera is dust, rain and splash proof, and not waterproof (ie 'not waterprotected').

I accept that some marketing might convey a mixed message to some people not familiar, but a little research should clarify the construction and limitations of the camera body. For the price the K1 offers an extraordinary level of strength, solidity and protection from the elements.
Hi McGregNi,

I am surprised you underestand the Pentax quote so easily.

"Dust and Water protected: 87 Sealings protecting camera against Dust, Rain and Spraywater. Camera is not water protected."

To me it is very ambiguous. The Camera is water protected and the camera is not water protected.

What's the water that the camera is not protected against? if not water protected, what kind of Rain are Pentax talking about. is it the rain of castamere or "une pluie de météorites"?

Regards
Owner of:

a Pentax *istDL
2 Pentax K5
a Pentax K-3
a Pentax 645D
a Pentax K-1
McGregNi
Posted 18/11/2016 - 12:39 - Helpful Comment Link
The key is with the colon : This means that the words before the colon are a section heading, ie what comes next is about the dust and water protection aspects of this camera. What comes after the colon is the actual information and detail that applies.

A more grammatically perfect version would have ' Dust and water protection' before the colon, but we're used to seeing obviously translated English from Japanese text in manuals and marketing material.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Edited by McGregNi: 18/11/2016 - 12:42
Posted 18/11/2016 - 14:05 - Helpful Comment Link
Coming back to the initial question:

Quote:
How functional is the sealing on the K-1? Pentax talk about 87 sealing points. But if this cannot resist what the lens (that is even older) stands how effective is such a sealing?
Pentax always highlight the camera as being 'Dustproof' and 'weather-resistant' on their websites. But it seems that the 87 sealing points are merely marketing jargon, if all the camera can handle is a little spray from a rain shower. Even my old 5D MKII can take that.

As I understand it, the camera was not used underwater, but dipped for a moment, which is definitely different from how one would use a waterproof camera and would be similar to a rainshower in how it got wet. So how do these sealing points make the K-1 different from any other camera on the market that doesn't sell itself as weather resistant?

And then there are those specifications:

Quote:
87 Sealings protecting camera against Dust, Rain and Spraywater. Camera is not water protected.
This sounds like they are trying to protect themselves against any warranty claims while letting bloggers and youtubers sell their product for them by submerging the camera in mud, water and sand and showing off how they still work afterwards.

I would be curious to hear the answer from Pentax as to why the rear screen can't be replaced if the camera still functions. Surely one of those 87 sealings would mean the screen can be replaced?
Edited by LondonPhotoSara: 18/11/2016 - 14:11
Posted 18/11/2016 - 14:18 Link
Thank you so much LondonPhotoSara,

You even express the point better than me.
LondonPhotoSara wrote:
Coming back to the initial question:

Quote:
How functional is the sealing on the K-1? Pentax talk about 87 sealing points. But if this cannot resist what the lens (that is even older) stands how effective is such a sealing?
Pentax always highlight the camera as being 'Dustproof' and 'weather-resistant' on their websites. But it seems that the 87 sealing points are merely marketing jargon, if all the camera can handle is a little spray from a rain shower. Even my old 5D MKII can take that.

As I understand it, the camera was not used underwater, but dipped for a moment, which is definitely different from how one would use a waterproof camera and would be similar to a rainshower in how it got wet. So how do these sealing points make the K-1 different from any other camera on the market that doesn't sell itself as weather resistant?

And then there are those specifications:

Quote:
87 Sealings protecting camera against Dust, Rain and Spraywater. Camera is not water protected.
This sounds like they are trying to protect themselves against any warranty claims while letting bloggers and youtubers sell their product for them by submerging the camera in mud, water and sand and showing off how they still work afterwards.

I would be curious to hear the answer from Pentax as to why the rear screen can't be replaced if the camera still functions. Surely one of those 87 sealings would mean the screen can be replaced?
Thank you so much LondonPhotoSara
Owner of:

a Pentax *istDL
2 Pentax K5
a Pentax K-3
a Pentax 645D
a Pentax K-1
McGregNi
Posted 18/11/2016 - 14:46 Link
There is no reason to assume the camera can only handle a little spray from a rain shower .....but then again there's no reason to assume it can handle underwater submersion, which may involve some sustained pressure. The reality is probably somewhere between these two.

I would never automatically think that any complex electronic device can survive immersion, quite the opposite, unless it was a dedicated purpose built item for underwater.

You're not talking to Pentax here, so there's no argument between us. Here we are other users with a range of opinions, and that's ok to explore. But if you want some sort of therapeutic gain to be had from experiencing a kind of collective, community sense of outrage and verifying of your own attitudes to it, then you may be disappointed.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Edited by McGregNi: 18/11/2016 - 14:49
Simonmac
Posted 18/11/2016 - 14:48 Link
I understand that the level of protection has to do with pressure?

Rainfall on such a camera should not compromise the seals. A submersion, however brief, is more likely to do so because of the increased pressure on the seals and gaskets.

Just a thought.

Simon

Nigel beat me to it!
Edited by Simonmac: 18/11/2016 - 14:50
Jonathan-Mac
Posted 18/11/2016 - 15:02 Link
I'd be surprised at any DSLR surviving a dip in water as that's very different from rain, even heavy rain. However, if the camera works except for the screen I don't see why just the screen can't be replaced.

If you're paying for a new camera then I see no reason why they should keep your current one. The request to do so coupled with the apparently minor damage (just the screen) would make me extremely suspicious.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X and Panasonic L digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
fatspider
Posted 18/11/2016 - 15:09 Link
There seems to be a lot of speculation going on.

The OP needs to clarify a few things so people can make more reasonable replies , for example: what kind of water, how deep the camera went, how long was it under, did it hit the bottom with a bump, was there any signs that water had got in via the lens mount or into the socket seals etc.

As for the ads, I recently watch a guy running one under a tap at quite high pressure, if the body can withstand that surely it could cope with a brief dip of a second or less.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
Edited by fatspider: 18/11/2016 - 15:10

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo