Pentax HDRs

mdc

Link Posted 05/02/2011 - 12:12
So the day my K100D arrived I just had to take it out for a spin; luckily, the weather was on my side, and the bright sunshine gave me some pretty good dynamic range to work with. I'll upload the results here as and when I get around to processing each one

To kick things off, here's a driveway

SmutjeUK

Link Posted 05/02/2011 - 12:26
Seems good but what is the dark line at the top? Would like to see more of HDR Pictures as I soon plan to use it myself in churches where I can not use a flash.
Do you have the EXIF Data?
Like the way the colours come out in this one.
Kind regards
SmutjeUK

It's nice to be nice!

Pentax K-5 with D-GB4 Grip, to many lenses to mention by now (serious LBA by now), TC's, Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW, Manfrotto 028 & Redsnapper RS-283 with various Heads plus various Camera Clamps (I collect them). Pentax AF 360FGZ, Pentax AF 240FT, several Metz 45 CT-1 & 5 with stands and 'Blow Up' Soft Boxes, Flash Triggers, and various Macro gear.

mdc

Link Posted 05/02/2011 - 13:30
EXIF data for the driveway shot can be found here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelcullendesign/5417103684/meta/

I'm not sure about the vignetting at the top to be honest, I think it's just a side-effect of the postprocessing in Photomatix; sometimes you have to play with the smoothing slider to eliminate dark borders around the image; I uploaded this in a bit of a hurry and missed it, and I'm too lazy to re-upload a fixed version

Here's another shot from the same day:

EXIF data: http://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelcullendesign/5418560018/meta/

SmutjeUK

Link Posted 05/02/2011 - 14:17
I just love the second one. well done.
Kind regards
SmutjeUK

It's nice to be nice!

Pentax K-5 with D-GB4 Grip, to many lenses to mention by now (serious LBA by now), TC's, Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW, Manfrotto 028 & Redsnapper RS-283 with various Heads plus various Camera Clamps (I collect them). Pentax AF 360FGZ, Pentax AF 240FT, several Metz 45 CT-1 & 5 with stands and 'Blow Up' Soft Boxes, Flash Triggers, and various Macro gear.

ReklawyksEkul

Link Posted 05/02/2011 - 14:33
great colors!

i want to ask how many bracket do you use? And exposure?
i jus have to learn..

thanks
iqbal

learning in progress...

picasa
flickr
photoblog
PPG

mdc

Link Posted 05/02/2011 - 16:56
On my earlier stuff, I used my Sony Alpha A350, which is quite limited when it comes to AEB (maximum +/- 0.7EV, normal+under+over), the results can be seen here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelcullendesign/sets/72157625495062657/

I did get a few nice shots, like these:

Bigger

Bigger

Bigger

But I found that I was coming back with far too many shots with either blown highlights or no shadow detail, despite the bracketing. I realised that I needed more of an EV difference, so I went out with some M42 lenses and tried bracketing manually with aperture control.

These are the results:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelcullendesign/sets/72157625817069935/

Bigger

Bigger

Bigger

In my opinion, having a wider range of exposure gives you a lot more tolerance in each particular scene, and gives you more room for creative control during the postprocessing stage. Once you've got the shots, it's all down to your processing in Photomatix / HDR Efex Pro, etc.

After the successes with the M42 lenses, I decided I needed a body which let me AEB at +/- 2EV, as I like to shoot handheld, and AEB is crucial for doing HDRs handheld, and started looking for the K100D, which I managed to get for a good price from a member here
Last Edited by mdc on 05/02/2011 - 17:10

SmutjeUK

Link Posted 05/02/2011 - 17:07
Stunning colours and great pictures. Thanks for sharing them with us and explaining the technique you use.
Very good!
Kind regards
SmutjeUK

It's nice to be nice!

john941

Link Posted 05/02/2011 - 18:13
Great photo's I like them, and a great camera

SmutjeUK

Link Posted 05/02/2011 - 19:15
I just checked out your HDR stream on FLICKR. Wow, what an eyepopper they are. Hope you dont mind that I put you in my contacts.
One day I just like to come just a little close to what you can do with a DSLR and I am a happy man.
Many thanks for sharing those great shots with us.
Kind regards
SmutjeUK

It's nice to be nice!

mdc

Link Posted 05/02/2011 - 21:00
Wow, thank you very much That really does mean a lot to me. I've only been shooting digital for about 3 months, so it's within reach of anyone given the determination.

I found the biggest challenge was learning how to visualise scenes differently with an HDR workflow in mind; on top of thinking about the composition as you would with any shot, you also have to consider what scenes will have the most impact when processed as HDR... extremes of light and dark, which would normally be a warning sign when taking a "normal" photo are in fact desirable qualities for HDR photography, as long as you can meter the baseline shot correctly (something I still struggle with sometimes!).

The next thing I'll be experimenting with (if I ever get around to it) is film HDR; I managed to pick up an EOS 500N body for 5 and an M42 adapter, so at some point I'll head out with some fine-grained negative film and use AEB to capture some 3-shot bracketed sequences, scan and process them as HDR. Should, theoretically, yield even greater dynamic range than with a DSLR

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 06/02/2011 - 12:01
Boo, hiss etc!

Very nice results from the K100, and interesting to see the others - the brand is kind of irrelevent, but glad to hear the Pentax offers better AEB options! Stick with Pentax as the K7 and K5 offer up to 5 AEB shots up to 2EV apart.... that should be enough for any HDR fan!
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

mdc

Link Posted 06/02/2011 - 12:05
The first and second shots are actually from my Pentax K100D, so hopefully this thread'll stay The third batch of shots was really just to show the difference between the K100D and the Alpha shots I was taking previously

And yeah, I agree that it's very easy to go OTT with HDR; at the moment I'm trying to use it to bring out shadow and highlight detail without making shots seem too surreal; a good example of this would be the Owell Bridge shot above which, although taken on my Alpha, is my personal favourite so far.

I think these days there's often a backlash at any mention of the term HDR - especially in film circles - due to the proliferation of the OTT "grunge" shots that Photomatix became well-known for producing in its first couple of versions; Version 4, which I use, actually has too smoothing modes, the newer of which gives you more control and allows you to obtain more "natural" looking shots. Often when looking at HDR shots, you need to look at them side-by-side with the original to see just exactly what benefits processing as HDR has brought to the photo

mdc

Link Posted 07/02/2011 - 00:09
Another K100D shot:

Bigger
Last Edited by mdc on 07/02/2011 - 00:09
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.