Pentax-FU

Horst

Link Posted 27/04/2015 - 03:22
Hi, Firstly this topic is in no way intent to upset, anger or in any other way make the management uncomfortable.
Having sad this, I must tell you, I am a staunch Pentax user since 1970.
I own still about 10 Pentax SLR's Like Spotmatic, K1000, Super Program, K5, K20, X-5 K-01 and more.
I own about 20 Various Pentax lenses and 1 Sigma and 1 Tamron.

So It can not be said that I am not fully committed to Pentax.

I bought my 9 year old granddaughter a K10 an a couple of zoom lenses last year.

Now My problem is, that sometimes the K10 with lens is somewhat bulky to carry around for her.
But I have noticed a , (now read this very quietly ), Fuji X100 camera.

Lets call it from now on a Pentax-FU., so you don't have to whisper and not to shock the management to much. (I don't want to be banned again for 7 days for heresy)

So if any of you have used or own a Pentax-FU. please let me know, how you like it and how the picture quality and handling is. I specially like the idea of the optical viewfinder.

I noticed Pentax has nothing equivalent to a.) the looks and b.) the features of this camera
Last Edited by Horst on 27/04/2015 - 03:28

richandfleur

Link Posted 27/04/2015 - 08:11
Agree pentax doesn't offer anything as retro as this, but surely you can come up with a better cover than saying FU...

Horst

Link Posted 27/04/2015 - 08:29
Well I didn't mean Fu.. I meant it to be short for FU....

However for some members both meanings are, I suppose rude.

What do you suggest?

Regards, Horst

johnriley

Link Posted 27/04/2015 - 08:35
Not much of a cover really. There are Fuji forums where you'll get a more meaningful response, especially on Facebook. You'll find the people there friendly and helpful and they might well be able to make the comparison you seek.

However, the best way may be to buy from Amazon, try and return if unhappy, within their timescale of course, or take a card to a shop and ask to shoot some sample shots from the doorway so you can take them home and assess for yourself.

Hope that helps!
Best regards, John

hogboy

Link Posted 27/04/2015 - 08:35
Just call it Camera X
If you are happy with a 35mm fov, you really can't go wrong with it.
Sony A6000 plus a bunch of lenses
Sony A7ii plus loads of glass
Fuji X20

JohnX

Link Posted 27/04/2015 - 08:45
I used their X20 if I didnt want to lug my K5II and lenses, but since added a K-S1 to my collection, which fits in a small Kata belt bag with a 40 Ltd.

Horst

Link Posted 27/04/2015 - 08:51
John wrote:

Quote:
take a card to a shop and ask to shoot some sample shots from the doorway so you can take them home and assess for yourself.

Good thinking, I will do that.

hogboy wrote:

Quote:
If you are happy with a 35mm fov, you really can't go wrong with it.

I have a Pentax-A 24mm. This should be close to the Camera-X lens . I.ll use it for a while exclusively and see how I like it.

Thanks to both of you.

Regards, Horst

johnriley

Link Posted 27/04/2015 - 08:51
The K-S2 with 40mm would be very nice. Superb image quality, very light and compact, a great price....and a superb viewfinder that IMHO knocks rangefinder designs for six.

For those who prefer a rangefinder style then the choice is there, but not with Pentax.
Best regards, John

jules

Link Posted 27/04/2015 - 09:25
johnriley wrote:
The K-S2 with 40mm would be very nice. Superb image quality, very light and compact, a great price....and a superb viewfinder that IMHO knocks rangefinder designs for six.

For those who prefer a rangefinder style then the choice is there, but not with Pentax.

The more I look at the K-S2, the more I think it will be my next camera and not the K3II, for those very reasons mentioned above John...
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!
“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it.”...Ansel Adams
www.exaggeratedperspectives.com

michaelblue

Link Posted 27/04/2015 - 12:51
Yes, the K-S2 looks like a very nice choice, if I was to 'upgrade' it would definitely be top of my list.
Regards,
Michael
My new website:link

McGregNi

Link Posted 27/04/2015 - 15:54
' Superb Viewfinder' .... I love Pentax OVFs, and they're amazing value as they offer 100 per cent and 0.95 magnification. But I thought they were all the same, (recent ones anyway) ... Have I missed something specific about the K-S2 one?
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

AndrewA

Link Posted 27/04/2015 - 16:26
I had an X10 for about a year as a back up when I had an affair with Nikon.
Found the X10 to be an excellent little camera with pin sharp images.
Sold it on so I could by an MX-1.
Andrew

"I'm here because the whiskey is free" - Tyla

PPG link
Flickr link

johnriley

Link Posted 27/04/2015 - 16:30
Quote:
Have I missed something specific about the K-S2 one?

No, but it's a feature worth highlighting as it's a much better experience than even most other DSLR viewfinders. I'm delighted that Pentax have kept with this as it's a more expensive option than the pentamirror and possibly even the EVF.
Best regards, John

jules

Link Posted 27/04/2015 - 16:45
johnriley wrote:
Quote:
Have I missed something specific about the K-S2 one?

No, but it's a feature worth highlighting as it's a much better experience than even most other DSLR viewfinders. I'm delighted that Pentax have kept with this as it's a more expensive option than the pentamirror and possibly even the EVF.

The full frame prism OVF in my old Sony A900 (big and beautiful to behold), cost Sony £178, then on top of that they had to employ an artisan to make sure that each was aligned 100%, something they did not do with the much cheaper but very similar spec A850 (Mores the pity, the viewfinders on those including mine were misaligned by up 10% ! ). Point being that next to the FF sensor the biggest cost item in the camera, was the viewfinder. Now I know that the "current" Pentax finders are not FF (Still hate that term!) but they are 100% and made to very fine tolerances, now an APSC sensor costs around £40-£50, (Slightly out of date reckoning here ) but I bet the finder costs more...
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!
“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it.”...Ansel Adams
www.exaggeratedperspectives.com
Last Edited by jules on 27/04/2015 - 16:47

Horst

Link Posted 29/04/2015 - 11:34
Hi, I did what I said I would.

I went out today on a nice Autumn day to the beach with my K5 and a SMC-A 24mm f2.8 lens to see how the 35mm equivalent would look.

I am in 2 minds if I could live with this focal length only.

However I realized something else. I was in the near future trying to buy a similar focal length wit AF.
but there is really no need for the AF. Just keep it on infinity all the time.
When doing something really close, it is easy enough to do a bit of manual focusing.

So I saved myself a fair bit of money.

I think the A-24f2.8 is a very nice lens anyway. Attached are a couple of pictures I took this afternoon.

Regards, Horst

Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.