Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Pentax FF future made clear

amcinroy
Posted 22/02/2007 - 10:17 Link
Guys,

After many years of speculation, Pentax has finally made it's intentions clear regarding full frame.

Pentax has just announced that the new 200mm, 300mm prime lenses will be DA* lenses (APS coverage) rather than the originally announced D-FA (FF coverage).

This now locks them into APS and I personally think it's a great move by Pentax.

So what have we got,
- A consistent system (c.f Canons 3 different sensor sizes)
- Superb optical quality (New DA* lenses and Limited(L) lenses including 3 unique Pancakes and 1 to come)
- Lighter/cheaper system over FF with better quality to price ratio
- In-body stabilisation system works on everything from pancakes to long telephotos.
- Dual camera motor and lens motor system mean that pancakes can maintain camera driven autofocus and long lenses can move towards SSM (supersonic motor system).

This announcement plugs pentax's remaining weakness (poor lens support) and I think will take Pentax back to the top.

And if you really want FF quality, there's the 645D which will take you much further.

Nice one Pentax.

Andy
amcinroy
Posted 22/02/2007 - 10:46 Link
And here's the official announcement.

http://www.pentax.co.jp/english/news/2007/200708.html

Andy
Mannesty
Posted 22/02/2007 - 11:01 Link
No P-TTL ring flash in the line up yet
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
Mr. Ist
Posted 22/02/2007 - 11:17 Link
Anyone heard from 'Teogin'?
Pwynnej
Posted 22/02/2007 - 13:25 Link
Mr. Ist wrote:
Anyone heard from 'Teogin'?

Don't encourage him please....

Anyone who uses 10x8 would argue that this is full-frame and anything smaller....like

APS-C
APS-H (1D Mk2/3)
35x24mm
6x4.5
6x6
6x7
6x8
6x9
6x12 and 6x17
and 5x4

would be cropped frame...
Pwynnej
Posted 22/02/2007 - 14:22 Link
amcinroy wrote:

After many years of speculation, Pentax has finally made it's intentions clear regarding full frame.

Pentax has just announced that the new 200mm, 300mm prime lenses will be DA* lenses (APS coverage) rather than the originally announced D-FA (FF coverage).

This now locks them into APS and I personally think it's a great move by Pentax.

Looking at a few comments in DPreview it seems that the DA lenses might have FF coverage despite their nomenclature. Someone suggested that some lenses should be tried on film cameras... I think they referred to the 40mm DA pancake as one good example.

The proof is also in the wording..

For exclusive use on Pentax Digital SLRs....am I right in assuming that Pentax only produce the K series cameras now? and their Samsung siblings?

The marketing material does not necessarily say APS-C format, so there may be scope to increase sensor size....
amcinroy
Posted 22/02/2007 - 14:35 Link
There is some rumour on dpreview that DA lenses would support a 1.3 sensor. Other people are mentioning that lenses like the DA70mm are already cutting it a bit fine for coverage at the edges on a 1.5 sensor.

I think the DA lenses will have varying degree of coverage but the unification to a DA standard suggests to me APS-C is here to stay. The only other possibility is that of a cropped mode on a future FF camera. But that sounds like a long way off given the pentax strategy on this one.

Andy
Mongoose
Posted 22/02/2007 - 14:48 Link
certainly the DA 18-55 is full frame from ~24 onwards, and I have heared the same of the 16-45. The 50-200 does not have FF coverage at any focal length though, it remains about the same throughout its range.

clearly it deppends on the lens, but at least with the ability to mount all lenses on all cameras we have the option to use DAs on full frame if we want to (the 18-55 at 18 on full frame produces quite an ammusing effect)
George Lazarette
Posted 22/02/2007 - 22:57 Link
Interesting that the 645D now sports a 31.6MP sensor from Kodak. This will be a killer camera. providing the cost is sub-stratospheric.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.