Pentax DA* 300mm F4 + K20D
Posted 04/04/2008 - 17:09
Link
You're not helping me at all here Chirpy! Keep thinking "I'll get one... I won't get one..."
The close focusing is something I'm especially interested in, I know it's not macro, but for flowers and similar I reckon it would do a great job. I think it would get a lot more use than my Tamron, just because of the portability, AF and close focus.
I'm gradually persuading myself.
Thanks for these.
Dan
The close focusing is something I'm especially interested in, I know it's not macro, but for flowers and similar I reckon it would do a great job. I think it would get a lot more use than my Tamron, just because of the portability, AF and close focus.
I'm gradually persuading myself.
Thanks for these.
Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...
Posted 04/04/2008 - 17:51
Link
Quote:
You're not helping me at all here Chirpy! Keep thinking "I'll get one... I won't get one..."
The close focusing is something I'm especially interested in, I know it's not macro, but for flowers and similar I reckon it would do a great job. I think it would get a lot more use than my Tamron, just because of the portability, AF and close focus.
I'm gradually persuading myself.
Thanks for these.
Dan
I will help you decide Dan BUY IT You're not helping me at all here Chirpy! Keep thinking "I'll get one... I won't get one..."
The close focusing is something I'm especially interested in, I know it's not macro, but for flowers and similar I reckon it would do a great job. I think it would get a lot more use than my Tamron, just because of the portability, AF and close focus.
I'm gradually persuading myself.
Thanks for these.
Dan
Hope that helps
Judging by by those shots chirpy, its very tempting.
Is the flower shot a crop : How close to it were you when you took it. :
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Posted 04/04/2008 - 18:11
Link
It's only a slight crop and squared off at the sides. It was probably 1.5m away.
I bought it with the intention of using it and the DA70mm Ltd as my walkaround lenses. I've got tired of zooms for now. It weighs about the same as my Sigma 180mm f/3.5 1:1 Macro, so I'll be sticking it on a monopod. The pictures today were hand-held and my hand is a little achy from gripping it.
I've got more shots, but that's all I've had time to process so far.
I bought it with the intention of using it and the DA70mm Ltd as my walkaround lenses. I've got tired of zooms for now. It weighs about the same as my Sigma 180mm f/3.5 1:1 Macro, so I'll be sticking it on a monopod. The pictures today were hand-held and my hand is a little achy from gripping it.
I've got more shots, but that's all I've had time to process so far.
Posted 04/04/2008 - 18:37
Link
Quote:
I will help you decide Dan BUY IT
Just because you can't help yourself when a pretty lens comes into view... I will help you decide Dan BUY IT
Still need to look at finances I think, tot up what I can sell to (partially)cover the cost. Still a bit miffed that the price jumped up £100 here.
Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...
Posted 04/04/2008 - 19:14
Link
Quote:
Still need to look at finances I think, tot up what I can sell to (partially)cover the cost. Still a bit miffed that the price jumped up £100 here.
Dan
Don't sell anything you will regret later, I am always doing that Clarky wrote:
I will help you decide Dan BUY IT
Just because you can't help yourself when a pretty lens comes into view... I will help you decide Dan BUY IT
Still need to look at finances I think, tot up what I can sell to (partially)cover the cost. Still a bit miffed that the price jumped up £100 here.
Dan
The reason for the price hike is probably due to demand i am assuming :
BTW are those ducks them Hoodies you been harking about They look pretty mean
Thanks Chirpy If you ever want to sell that sigma 180 macro keep me in mind They are a little scarce over here and not many come up on e-bay either. new or used.
BTW do you have a gold mine in your backyard : You sure are getting a nice collection together.
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Posted 04/04/2008 - 19:56
Link
Quote:
Don't sell anything you will regret later, I am always doing that
I'll try not to. I'm looking at either lenses I simply don't use, or that will be replaced by the Pentax (the Tamron 300mm f/2.8 ), and my MZ-5n body. Only extra thing which doesn't really fall into those categories is the 1.7x AF Converter, but I only use that with the Tamron, so...Don't sell anything you will regret later, I am always doing that
Quote:
BTW are those ducks them Hoodies you been harking about They look pretty mean
That's them! Note the evil glint in their eyes.BTW are those ducks them Hoodies you been harking about They look pretty mean
Quote:
BTW do you have a gold mine in your backyard : You sure are getting a nice collection together.
Yeah, makes you sick, doesn't it. BTW do you have a gold mine in your backyard : You sure are getting a nice collection together.
Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...
Posted 04/04/2008 - 21:31
Link
Quote:
Thanks Chirpy If you ever want to sell that sigma 180 macro keep me in mind
No way, no how It's one of my favourite lenses and I would never be without it. It's definitely the sharpest lens I've ever owned and invaluable for macro's.Thanks Chirpy If you ever want to sell that sigma 180 macro keep me in mind
Quote:
BTW do you have a gold mine in your backyard : You sure are getting a nice collection together.
You know what it is - mid-life crisis, hitting 40. The OH would rather I spent the money on this than a motorbike or a sports car, etc. She did make me sell the bigma and 400mm to fund the 300mm. Still can't believe she let me buy the 500mm, though BTW do you have a gold mine in your backyard : You sure are getting a nice collection together.
We made it through the bubble bursting on the internet and kept some money aside for fun stuff. I've been told that this is it for the next 5 years, though.
Yeah.
Right
Posted 04/04/2008 - 21:52
Link
Posted 04/04/2008 - 23:44
Link
Quote:
Dan, that £100 more is on the RRP, SRS were still selling them for £899 which is what they advertised. I was hoping it would be nearer £800 from them, but there you go.
Yeah, I know. Just that with an RRP of £899 they would probably have done it for £799 or so. I suppose I'm used to seeing things announced with an RRP, then when they're released, they're actually £100 cheaper, not the other way round. Dan, that £100 more is on the RRP, SRS were still selling them for £899 which is what they advertised. I was hoping it would be nearer £800 from them, but there you go.
Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...
Posted 07/04/2008 - 00:06
Link
Hi, just like to say that I really like the flower shots - prbably because I'm really getting into my flora macros at the moment - great colours and really sharp!
Fiona
Fiona
"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep". ~Scott Adams
Q | Various Q lenses & filters | KP | 35mm 2.8 Macro
Q | Various Q lenses & filters | KP | 35mm 2.8 Macro
Posted 07/04/2008 - 09:46
Link
Thanks Fiona. I was intending to take photo's of flowers when I went out, but suddenly found that close focus very versatile.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.




589 posts
19 years
Berkshire
1. PF is very well under control at F4, there is some in extreme conditions but it seems to disappear after F4.5. Nothing like the higher PF levels that I've seen from the DA* 200mm from examples of others (I don't have that one)
2. No sign of vignetting
3. Lovely and quiet
4. Lovely and quick to focus
5. Close focus of 1.4m is very handy
6. Very light
Testing close focus:
f/5.6 1/250 ISO100
Testing for PF and vignetting (although this is at f5.6, I didn't see any vignetting at f/4):
f/5.6 1/1500 ISO100
Testing DOF at f4:
f/4 1/750 ISO100
100% crop test:
Macro & Wildlife Photography