Pentax anniversary


RobL

Link Posted 31/07/2019 - 12:23
We have been patiently awaiting something to happen in the 100 year anniversary of Pentax, a new camera, lenses perhaps? Now we have it, a bloody mug for pity’s sake.

1stEverPentax

Link Posted 31/07/2019 - 12:36
To be fair ...it is a nice looking mug...wouldn't mind one myself. Maybe SRS could offer them as freebies with every body/lens purchase at Christmas?

Know what you mean though, a new APS-C Flagship would be nice, together with the 70-200 f4 and maybe one of the FF convertors...i'd be happy with those this year.

theonenadeem

Link Posted 31/07/2019 - 16:22
We have had a few new items this year as well as some fairly decent price promotions.
The year is not over yet.

Lubbyman

Link Posted 31/07/2019 - 16:49
RobL wrote:
Now we have it, a bloody mug for pity’s sake.

There's a mug celebrating 80 Years of C---- Cameras if you don't like what Pentax is offering, although of course the ergonomics wouldn't be as good. You can even get the C---- design on a duvet cover. Anyone fancy sleeping in a Pentax?

Steve

Algernon

Link Posted 31/07/2019 - 16:52
It's time someone invented a saucer to go with a mug!


--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

Lubbyman

Link Posted 31/07/2019 - 21:41
Algernon wrote:
It's time someone invented a saucer to go with a mug! --

Isn't that called a plate?

Hmmmmm.... "The Pentax Plate" - It has a certain ring to it...

Steve

richandfleur

Link Posted 31/07/2019 - 22:58
RobL wrote:
We have been patiently awaiting something to happen in the 100 year anniversary of Pentax, a new camera, lenses perhaps? Now we have it, a bloody mug for pity’s sake.

Hey don't be so negative. Let's not forget a special edition KP which had a wooden handle, and the Ricoh have also been busy releasing the eagerly awaited selfie sticks.

All jokes aside, there really hasn't been much of late. The K-3 was released in October 2013 and the mk ii variant 4 years ago in april 2015. We've had the KP which is heading towards 2 and half years ago, and of course the K-1 plus a mark ii version of that in fairly quick succession. The K-1 was early 2016 and the mk ii version over a year ago also.

The big news in the industry of late is around eye AF, IBIS, 4k video and huge MP count sensors, but we've seen nothing new from Pentax in a while and certainly no progression on eye AF or higher res options. Heck the 645Z was April 2014, so over 5 years ago and now with strong competition with the likes of Fuji GFX models. Without writing the situation off as the 'Pentax is doomed' joke, it's actually not looking very competitive right now.

JAK

Link Posted 01/08/2019 - 00:44
richandfleur wrote:
The big news in the industry of late is around eye AF, IBIS, 4k video and huge MP count sensors,

AF & IBIS - don't Pentaxs in Australia come with those?
4K video - not particularly useful when taking a still photo.
MP count - how large a hard disk are you trying to fill up? You can always get that 645 you mentined.
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 01/08/2019 - 00:45

richandfleur

Link Posted 01/08/2019 - 01:51
JAK wrote:
richandfleur wrote:
The big news in the industry of late is around eye AF, IBIS, 4k video and huge MP count sensors,

AF & IBIS - don't Pentaxs in Australia come with those?
4K video - not particularly useful when taking a still photo.
MP count - how large a hard disk are you trying to fill up? You can always get that 645 you mentined.

Point is developments are happening, in every camera released from all other manufacturers.

It's very hard to have a conversation about that from inside the Pentax bubble, where time is effectively standing still at the moment.
Without being dramatic, the brand simply won't survive if everyone is 100% happy with what they already have, as they'd be no room to develop.


Re:
AF & IBIS - don't Pentaxs in Australia come with those?
No eye AF.
IBIS is now present on Panasonic, Olympus, Fuji, Sony and recently Nikon too.
Mentioned as an example of the market progressing - this is no longer a Pentax only feature.

4K video - not particularly useful when taking a still photo.
The Pentax low bit rate from 2012 is not particularly useful on modern Pentax cameras such as the K-1 either.
Video on Pentax isn't new (10 years of having this) and it's overdue for a refresh of even the basics.

MP count - how large a hard disk are you trying to fill up? You can always get that 645 you mentined.
Again mentioned as an example of what's happening in the wider industry today.
Compared to Pentax, where honestly nothing seems to be happening.

danofmk

Link Posted 01/08/2019 - 07:38
richandfleur wrote:
RobL wrote:
We have been patiently awaiting something to happen in the 100 year anniversary of Pentax, a new camera, lenses perhaps? Now we have it, a bloody mug for pity’s sake.

Hey don't be so negative. Let's not forget a special edition KP which had a wooden handle, and the Ricoh have also been busy releasing the eagerly awaited selfie sticks.

All jokes aside, there really hasn't been much of late. The K-3 was released in October 2013 and the mk ii variant 4 years ago in april 2015. We've had the KP which is heading towards 2 and half years ago, and of course the K-1 plus a mark ii version of that in fairly quick succession. The K-1 was early 2016 and the mk ii version over a year ago also.

The big news in the industry of late is around eye AF, IBIS, 4k video and huge MP count sensors, but we've seen nothing new from Pentax in a while and certainly no progression on eye AF or higher res options. Heck the 645Z was April 2014, so over 5 years ago and now with strong competition with the likes of Fuji GFX models. Without writing the situation off as the 'Pentax is doomed' joke, it's actually not looking very competitive right now.

When you throw in the K70 in that period too, it's pretty much a camera a year.

The k50 might have been in that period too come to think of it.

johnriley

Link Posted 01/08/2019 - 08:38
I'll happily take a set of six Pentax mugs!

Other than that, I'm busy shooting images with the kit I've got, although I am interested in the new 70-200mm f/4 when it arrives. And the new fisheye. And the 85mm......
Best regards, John

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 01/08/2019 - 08:55
Lubbyman wrote:
RobL wrote:
Now we have it, a bloody mug for pity’s sake.

There's a mug celebrating 80 Years of C---- Cameras if you don't like what Pentax is offering, although of course the ergonomics wouldn't be as good. You can even get the C---- design on a duvet cover. Anyone fancy sleeping in a Pentax?

Steve

Careful - the Can*n mug isn't water resistant and the highlights of the white foam on your cappuccino may be clipped!
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

davidtrout

Link Posted 01/08/2019 - 09:59
I'm an old stick in he mud, still more than happy with the results I get from my K5 (2011), K30 (2012) and K3 (2013). The last big purchase I made was at the end of 2016 when I went for the D FA* 70-200mm zoom instead of investing in a new K1, a decision I'm glad I made as it gives me superb results although its heavy when carrying it around all day at an event such as the Edinburgh Fringe which I'm going to again next week.
A couple of months ago I rescued my 2006, or was it 2007?, K10 from the back of a shelf, charged up the battery and started using it again. I now get better results from it than I did when it was new simply because I'm now more experienced at using PS and can tease more out of the camera in post process.
I fancy the mug though.
David
PPG: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidtrout

JAK

Link Posted 01/08/2019 - 10:06
johnriley wrote:
I'll happily take a set of six Pentax mugs!

Will PU be doing a full review of the mugs?!
John K

Nigelk

Link Posted 01/08/2019 - 12:51
JAK wrote:
johnriley wrote:
I'll happily take a set of six Pentax mugs!

Will PU be doing a full review of the mugs?!

We'll want to know about any decentering issues. I can't see any contacts so assume it is a purely manual mug. The weight and balance, is it good to handle?
I don't think it's a zoom so you'll probably have to move it back and forward with your arm, or in extreme cases use your legs
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.