Pentax AF 1.7x converter

smc

Link Posted 28/07/2014 - 22:04
Is it still worth buying? Missed one tonight on the auction site due to dithering and now regretting it.

LongTimeLurker

Link Posted 29/07/2014 - 00:03
It is for me

The key is understanding what it is and what it can do. There is useful information here, especially in the latest post in that thread.

I use my manual focus lenses as manual focus lenses only and the reason for purchasing the AF adaptor is for a planned future purchase of a DA*300, as the adaptor is known to work well in conjunction with this lens. (The combination will provide the extended reach that I occasionally need without the expense of a longer telephoto model.)
Nigel.

Getting older and grumpier. Taking longer to decide which lens to use today.

K5 with auto-everything lenses
A collection of manual primes to keep me in touch with the pleasures of doing it old-school.
Last Edited by LongTimeLurker on 29/07/2014 - 00:03

Fletcher8

Link Posted 29/07/2014 - 07:56
SMC, PM sent
Fletcher8.

smc

Link Posted 29/07/2014 - 21:24
Fletcher8 thank you! Looking forward to receiving it

LTL thank you - I thought I might use it on a Fast 50 for a portrait lens.

dcweather

Link Posted 29/07/2014 - 23:23
I have used the 1.7x (briefly)and the new 1.4x on my K3 + 300DA*. All I can say is that from an AF point of view you don't know you have the TC on with the 1.4 but you do with the 1.7. Can't comment on relative image quality but almost no degradation with the 1.4x.

smc

Link Posted 30/07/2014 - 00:18
DC thank you. Useful to know.

darkskies

Link Posted 30/07/2014 - 08:31
You just have to get used to how to use the x1.7 on the DA*300. It works very well once you know the trick.

Just manually focus to just the far side of the subject, then use autofocus to do the rest. Works very fast that way. If you are focused in front of the subject then the combo will hunt like hell, coming closer before going out past the subject and then coming back. So it's just a case of doing the simple step first and bob's your uncle.
This space deliberately left blank.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.